Deep, dark and cold?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Colliam7

Tech Instructor
Staff member
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Reading the Accidents and Incidents Forum prompted some reflection today. We dive a local quarry in central NC, where the depth ranges from a pleasant shallow ledge around 25 feet, populated with lots of interesting artifacts, to a large, relatively flat open area at about 85’, to a small ‘Deep Hole’ at 91’ (at least, with my computer on, or in, the bottom silt). Because of limited direct sunlight overhead (high quarry walls, and modest surface area) by the time you get to 91 feet, it can be fairly dark. Couple that with 5-10ft visibility at that depth at times and you are not diving in the best conditions. Now, 91 feet isn’t really deep – it is not 200ft, for instance. But, it is deep enough to think about. Water temps down there are in the upper 40s. And, I guess 48 degrees isn’t really cold - at least it is not the mid 30s that some consider ‘cold’. But, it is cold enough to give you a face-numbing, or ‘ice-cream headache’ at times, and it adds to the stress. But, I love it! It challenges you to be disciplined, to control your anxiety, to stay with your buddy, to make certain your equipment is tested and functioning before you submerge, and to engage in a litany of other safety-oriented behaviors as well. Of course, I am diving it dry, which may reduce some stress, I diving doubles, I periodically carry a pony because we are training, or trying new gear. And, I am always diving with a buddy I know well, and completely trust. Maybe, that constitutes 'Having it easy'.

Is it scary? Yes, at times. Descending into increasingly dark, increasingly turbid, increasingly cold water causes anxiety. At least it does for me. Have there been times where I started breathing a little faster and shallower, and a strong primal urge ascended from my subconscious, screaming at me to “Bolt for the surface! Now, do it now! Get out of here while you can, before your regulator freezes up, before your manifold blows an O-ring and starts free-flowing, before a boulder falls from the wall above and lands on your head!’? Absolutely! Irrational fears, perhaps, but that doesn’t stop them from rearing their ugly, irrational head. But, after I am at the bottom, after my buddy and I start swimming around, my anxiety fades, my delight in being there asserts itself, and my confidence returns for yet another guest appearance.

There seems to be a strong human urge to do things underwater that are incompatible with life - some people apparently panic underwater and rip their regulators out of their mouth, and drown. Maybe, some people who feel claustrophobic with a full face mask, or feel they are suffocating because they are over-breathing their regulator, will rip it off and drown. I know I have felt claustrophobic at times with one. Knowing how much I like going deep, dark and cold, and knowing the spectrum of emotions it engenders, makes reading about diver accidents in deep, dark and cold environments all the more comprehensible, and all the more unsettling and disturbing at the same time.

I got the realities of the challenge of dark, cold, turbid water brought home to me yet again last night. I made the strategic error of scheduling a night training dive as the first dive home after a week in Mexico -- Wetsuit, Al80's, infinite viz (even if it was dark). The switch back to the dry suit, massive weight, and low viz was difficult, rendered even more so in the dark. In fact, I eventually bailed on doing midwater skills and just said, "Let's go diving." Even then, it took a half hour or more before I felt comfortable again in the gear.

Cold, reduced viz, and darkness are all stressors. I think no matter how much you have dived in those conditions, your baseline stress level is higher than someone in kinder waters. And a high baseline stress means your personal breaking point is that much closer.

Quarry here has a warning "Caution:- The water is deep dark and cold. Use caution".

Seems fair, its deep at 90m (300ft), dark often due to tall walls and cold, 4c or so in winter.
Visibility typically 5-10ft.

However training there and if you can do that you can dive anywhere. For that reason alone i like my dark, deep, cold waters as they provide the best possible trainining environment.

We are diving in mucky water in mid-west. It is truely cold (42~44 degree at the bottom no matter where we dive) and low vis. all year around. My GF doesn't like this diving environment that much (actually she has some panic in the lake, even at 40ft). But, when she hit FL ocean water, she didnt mind go deeper 130ft. FL ocean water was a crystal clear warm water to us except a high current. So, I agree that if we can dive at our local environment, we can dive at Wales in UK. :wink:

Quarry here has a warning "Caution:- The water is deep dark and cold. Use caution".

Seems fair, its deep at 90m (300ft), dark often due to tall walls and cold, 4c or so in winter.
Visibility typically 5-10ft.

However training there and if you can do that you can dive anywhere. For that reason alone i like my dark, deep, cold waters as they provide the best possible trainining environment.

Depth, low vis, and cold water in a Quarry is not a catch all for all diving. No offense but that logic is flawed.

Depth, low vis, and cold water in a Quarry is not a catch all for all diving. No offense but that logic is flawed.

True, but you know that those are unavoidable major factors as well.

True, but you know that those are unavoidable major factors as well.

Absolutely. Many factors in diving. Location/ conditions dictate. My point being that deep, dark, cold Quarry diving may be great for some warm, tropical, 180' vis, hard bottom, calm seas recreational diving in Grand Cayman but it certainly is not great for Deep, dark, cold, swift current, surgey, open ocean ,sea state, entanglement diving.

I enjoy the distinct challenges that diving deep/dark/cold water affords that some other setting do not. These conditions can be found in many different dive sites...both fresh and salt. Diving deep/dark/cold conditions are not for the average beginner diver nor are they favored by some experienced divers. Diving in these conditions req. of the diver to be just that more non complacent and in as good as possible shape mentally and physically the diver can. I am an active solo diver and I never recommend that to anyone...just as I don't suggest deep/dark/cold diving to others....it is something one has to mature into if they find it challenging and are willing to accept the inherrant risks.

Is this the Quarry near Lake Norman? I did the New years day dive there a few years ago. It was a good time but didnt bring any of my own gear and rented a 3mm and froze my you know what off.....great time though

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom