Din or yoke regs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I love DIN but I use multiple shops that have little or no DIN or convertable valves for rent. Last night I gave up and removed my DIN kits.

That is so sad..you don't have a converter??

---------- Post added August 2nd, 2013 at 07:03 AM ----------

Like Visa..I take it everywhere.

I love DIN but I use multiple shops that have little or no DIN or convertable valves for rent. Last night I gave up and removed my DIN kits.

:confused::idk:

Oh Nooooooooooooooo

---------- Post added August 2nd, 2013 at 10:19 PM ----------

I am going to take the recreation side mount class and eventually take the tec courses. The reg I have now is a yoke. Can I continue to use this reg or do I need to get at least two din regs?

I did my tech training with TDI and I was given no choice. I had 5 K valve regs and converted them to DIN, so all my regs now whether rec or tech are DIN. I have one converter for those days I dive rec and the LDS has no DIN tanks. All my tanks are now DIN including deco.

---------- Post added August 2nd, 2013 at 10:31 PM ----------

Most Pacific dive shops and most in OZ seem to have DIN, and Europe ....... perhaps its a USA mainland thing??????

That is so sad..you don't have a converter??

---------- Post added August 2nd, 2013 at 07:03 AM ----------

Like Visa..I take it everywhere.

Converters are an extra connection and extra gear... I usually have spares for students with me already so I try and keep personal extras to a minimum. Since I moved back to the states nearly all the places I have dove have used yoke tanks so the writing was on the wall. Just try to pick up 5 tanks with DIN valves from a rec shop outside of a major urban center in the USofA.

I have my own tanks but keeping my own tanks in VIZ and Hydro isn’t making sense at this point when rentals cost 7bux. Its far more convenient to show up to the boat/shop, check the fill and dive. You can also swap/loan tanks. On a recent spear trip I returned to the boat with 1900 psi after the fist dive. I was able loan that tak to somone for a last shallow dive because we all had yoke.

Yea... I like km for distance, M for depth, and Bar for pressure as well... but I live in Florida.

:confused::idk:

Oh Nooooooooooooooo

---------- Post added August 2nd, 2013 at 10:19 PM ----------

I did my tech training with TDI and I was given no choice. I had 5 K valve regs and converted them to DIN, so all my regs now whether rec or tech are DIN. I have one converter for those days I dive rec and the LDS has no DIN tanks. All my tanks are now DIN including deco.

---------- Post added August 2nd, 2013 at 10:31 PM ----------

Most Pacific dive shops and most in OZ seem to have DIN, and Europe ....... perhaps its a USA mainland thing??????

Thank you... it is a pita to have to take a converter for diving out of the country

Thank you... it is a pita to have to take a converter for diving out of the country

Sure is a pain. I love DIN and so glad I converted all my regulators. Most new tanks seem to have DIN valves with inserts now. I believe a very smart move. Simple and versatile. The only place to date that we have gone that doesn't have DIN are Tonga. Everywhere else has both. I always ask before I get there just in case.

Converters are an extra connection and extra gear... I usually have spares for students with me already so I try and keep personal extras to a minimum. Since I moved back to the states nearly all the places I have dove have used yoke tanks so the writing was on the wall. Just try to pick up 5 tanks with DIN valves from a rec shop outside of a major urban center in the USofA.

I have my own tanks but keeping my own tanks in VIZ and Hydro isn’t making sense at this point when rentals cost 7bux. Its far more convenient to show up to the boat/shop, check the fill and dive. You can also swap/loan tanks. On a recent spear trip I returned to the boat with 1900 psi after the fist dive. I was able loan that tak to somone for a last shallow dive because we all had yoke.

Yea... I like km for distance, M for depth, and Bar for pressure as well... but I live in Florida.

I live next to Florida, and I own 5 din HP 100 tanks..if it is not a friend I get in trouble for staying down too long on a boat dive with 100 vs 80, but, I don't use that boat again.

---------- Post added August 2nd, 2013 at 07:57 AM ----------

I have never had a problem getting fills for my HP 100's din on the gulf coast. Maybe it is a geographical issue.

I live next to Florida, and I own 5 din HP 100 tanks..if it is not a friend I get in trouble for staying down too long on a boat dive with 100 vs 80, but, I don't use that boat again.

---------- Post added August 2nd, 2013 at 07:57 AM ----------

I have never had a problem getting fills for my HP 100's din on the gulf coast. Maybe it is a geographical issue.

I am the same I use twin 12.2 litre (100) or singles and am usually last up. Never seems a problem in OZ with dive time, people are usually OK as long as you don't muck them about with being silly in the water wasting time over nothing.

In Brunei we were doing Tech dives with other rec divers and they were ok with that. We went in first ahead of them to soak up some of the extra time.

Why won't a yoke work there? I would say the ring system is one that better suits a yoke because you don't have to route anything around the valve. The Hollis sms system I could see being a pita.

While you can make it work, the elegance of the bound clip is gone when it has to go down below the yoke knob.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom