DIR practice - fin mechanics two methods

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm certainly not an expert but I'm starting to get it pretty consistently. I'll try to explain the way I think about it if it helps at all...

It is almost impossible to do if you're not trimmed properly.

Starting in proper trim with your knees bent at 90 degrees. Press the bottom of your fins together and push your legs straight behind you with the fin tips cutting through the water. (your legs make a diamond)

Almost at the end of your extention you spread your ankles so the top of the fins start you moving backward. This movement it NOT where the real power comes from... It is the next one. At the same time you flip the fins out, spread your legs a little. You are going to be using the TOP of your fins to scoop the water. The way you do it is to make a circular motion with legs while kicking them back towards your head and keeping your ankle bent so the top of the fin make the most contact with the water.

When you end that stroke with your legs, they should be back at a 90 degree angle for you to start again.

You can get good idea of how to do it while watching the video as long as you keep in mind that it is not ankle strength that propels you backward for the most part in a powerful backward kick...

I agree about the hard part.
Thanks for your input. I will keep trying:wink:
mg

With a good, strong backwards kick you can move back 15-20 FEET or so. (no current obviously!)

Not that I can do it every time :upset:

But if I've been practicing I can reasonably often.

yeah, 20' after a bit of momentum. But with a really hard kick and glide you can do 10 if it is perfect.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom