DIR practice - fin mechanics two methods

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Laugh... None taken...

If I practiced for an hour... At the end of that hour I'd be able to do 10-15' with a single kick.

So I KNOW its possible. (wetsuit & single tank)

Can I pull that off every day? Hell no! But I have better things do to than practice the backwards kick for an hour on each dive :)

In reality without having practiced a ton I can do 2-5.

But if you are aiming for perfect technique you can do much better.

Forgot to read the second page before I posted

Another situation where the backwards kick is handy is during u/w photography. I used it frequently during my last live-aboard trip. An experienced photo diver was very impressed with it when I used it to gently back away from a shot so he could get at same subject without the usual flopping around to trade positions. It was also helpful in surgey water trying to maneuver around coral and what-not to get at a shot.

It's a nice skill to have when hanging at deco/saftey stops. For some reason dive buddies drift together like magnets.

HINT: keep the air out of your drysuit boots. Just a little can kill your backwards kicks!!

On one of the videos it illustrates the backward kick's value by comparing it to what it would be like to drive if you didn't have a reverse gear on your car.

The photo scenario is a very valuable application, thanks diveski01.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom