DIR setup critique

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm just moving into a DIR set-up now. This is what I have for a reg set: HOG Gear D1 Singles Regulator Package - Dive Right In Scuba - Plainfield, IL. It's the HOG D1 coldwater set-up. They are great regs, and the price is right.
There are also other option besides Halcyon for a bp/w set-up. Again, I use a HOG wing, and I assembled my harness from various bits of hardware (I have a Hollis buckle). I use an Aluminum backplate, but I'm a wee human. I currently use only 5kg of lead in my drysuit. When I have some cash, I may move to a steel just to drop another kg or 2.
Also, once you make the switch from a jacket bc to bp/w, you will also need less lead to sink. Hope that helps.

I was looking at water temps in SE Asia and assumed i wouldn't have to wear any neoprene, which is why i was debating getting the AL plate first and getting a SS platen when (if) i ever come back to Canada! However maybe I should ask around and see if people use wetsuits in water that warm!

I'm not DIR; by any way. But I can tell you diving a SS BP in Asia is a chore. You're constantly over-weighted. Mine weighed in at 3kgs not including the old harness was also pretty heavy duty. I literally rocketed from the surface every time I deflated, it's a good job I can equalize fast.

I switched to a Al BP late last year and diving a single tank is a pleasure now. I still don't have to carry weight due to the low profile of the unit and I can comfortably use a 3mm shorty still without extra weight.

Also an AL will be easier to get in your luggage if you're planning out buying it before you head to Asia. At 700gms you barely notice it in you luggage.
If you do buy before you go. Look for a cheap unbranded BP. This is really one area where you don't need a name on your equipment. It's just metal. Some of the guys on the forum have even made their own. My personal one is nearly half the price of the Hollis, Dive Rite, Halycon's crowd and it copies their specifications. Why pay more?

That said look at Frog & Oxycheq for approximations of the Eclipse wing. They'll be markedly cheaper and you'll get the same effect. Oxcheq is quite easy to get in Asia. Frog I'm not so sure.

I don't know if it was an anomaly (because the brand is unknown where I live) but we had a Frog wing on a liveaboard a couple of years ago that simply would not vent -- turned out the bladder was kind of crammed into the outer fabric and developed twists and folds that would hold air. After examining the equipment, we all agreed that it was faulty. Inexpensive may not be best -- but if you are considering Hog regs, you could consider a Hog backplate setup as well. We have a couple of them for students, and they so far seem to be quite reasonable in quality and durable.

I don't know if it was an anomaly (because the brand is unknown where I live) but we had a Frog wing on a liveaboard a couple of years ago that simply would not vent -- turned out the bladder was kind of crammed into the outer fabric and developed twists and folds that would hold air.

Had a quick look on their website. The brand is from South Africa.

Same with Hog and Edge gear though. Simply don't get them this side of the planet. Had to google find out what it was!

South East Asia is good for buying the really big stuff. Apeks, Aqualung, Dive Rite, Halcyon etc They have Oxycheq as well. But when it comes to other US stuff it's not well represented (I know of only 1 Zeagle dealer in Malaysia) I guess it depends where the OP will buy his stuff, Canada or Asia.

I'd go with a steel plate

This. My aluminum plate just takes up space.

Even on those rare occasions I dive in warm waters, there's no particular point to using a lighter plate. I already have to check a bag due to physical dimensions, so the weight is not an issue (unless you bring so much stuff you're already at the limit).

This. My aluminum plate just takes up space.

Even on those rare occasions I dive in warm waters, there's no particular point to using a lighter plate. I already have to check a bag due to physical dimensions, so the weight is not an issue (unless you bring so much stuff you're already at the limit).

For a week+ in MX or FL I am constantly battling to get down to 49lbs with an AL plate. Lead is cheap and easy to add but 54lb bags have obscene overweight charges!

I'm not DIR; by any way. But I can tell you diving a SS BP in Asia is a chore. You're constantly over-weighted. Mine weighed in at 3kgs not including the old harness was also pretty heavy duty. I literally rocketed from the surface every time I deflated, it's a good job I can equalize fast.

I switched to a Al BP late last year and diving a single tank is a pleasure now. I still don't have to carry weight due to the low profile of the unit and I can comfortably use a 3mm shorty still without extra weight.

Also an AL will be easier to get in your luggage if you're planning out buying it before you head to Asia. At 700gms you barely notice it in you luggage.
If you do buy before you go. Look for a cheap unbranded BP. This is really one area where you don't need a name on your equipment. It's just metal. Some of the guys on the forum have even made their own. My personal one is nearly half the price of the Hollis, Dive Rite, Halycon's crowd and it copies their specifications. Why pay more?

That said look at Frog & Oxycheq for approximations of the Eclipse wing. They'll be markedly cheaper and you'll get the same effect. Oxcheq is quite easy to get in Asia. Frog I'm not so sure.

I was looking at putting my own bp/w together, but seems most single tank wings are big, like 38-40 lbs, which seems like a ridiculous amount of lift for a single AL tank setup. If I was going to get the halycons 30 lbs wing, for that cost i was thinking i would just get the whole setup from halycon.

That being said, whats a typical wing size for single AL tank diving in a say a 3mm shorty or 5mm max wet suit?

Had a quick look on their website. The brand is from South Africa.

Same with Hog and Edge gear though. Simply don't get them this side of the planet. Had to google find out what it was!

South East Asia is good for buying the really big stuff. Apeks, Aqualung, Dive Rite, Halcyon etc They have Oxycheq as well. But when it comes to other US stuff it's not well represented (I know of only 1 Zeagle dealer in Malaysia) I guess it depends where the OP will buy his stuff, Canada or Asia.

I plan on buying the gear from north america and having it shipped to my home, then when its time to go to asia i was just going to ship it to where ill be staying, so i dont have to deal with extra luggage weight.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom