DIR setup critique

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That being said, whats a typical wing size for single AL tank diving in a say a 3mm shorty or 5mm max wet suit?

I would just use the "40lb" halcyon wing I already have (I don't think it actually has 40lbs of lift). Its not as a big a deal to have a modestly oversized wing as long as its still meant for single tanks.

If I were buying special for this application the Torus 17 or 26 from DSS would be high on my list of choices.

I was looking at putting my own bp/w together, but seems most single tank wings are big, like 38-40 lbs, which seems like a ridiculous amount of lift for a single AL tank setup. If I was going to get the halycons 30 lbs wing, for that cost i was thinking i would just get the whole setup from halycon.

That being said, whats a typical wing size for single AL tank diving in a say a 3mm shorty or 5mm max wet suit?

The eclipse wing is fine for pretty much every scenario.

I was just throwing out ideas for keeping the cost down.
One Piece harnesses are easy to make and a few sites on the internet give you instructions rather than buying a packet harness. and other money saving ideas

Halcyon is a good manufacturer. My only gripe is that they charge way too much for their equipment. You can make a DIR set-up on a much more comfortable budget if you shop around a bit.

My rig looks DIR (it blatantly isn't due to a few personal touches) but, the cost of mine versus a Halcyon set-up is almost half and I still have a great brand name that I trust.

I really would strongly advise against a SS BP in Asia. I swear I was the only person wearing one there in 2010 :shocked2:

For diving in a 3 mil shorty with an Al tank, I'd use the Deep Sea Supply 17 lb tropical wing -- it's an absolute delight, so tiny you hardly know it's there, and thus really trivial to vent. NOT good for heavier tanks or heavier exposure protection, though, so it isn't really versatile. But for its specialized use, it's perfect.

The eclipse wing is fine for pretty much every scenario.

I was just throwing out ideas for keeping the cost down.
One Piece harnesses are easy to make and a few sites on the internet give you instructions rather than buying a packet harness. and other money saving ideas

Halcyon is a good manufacturer. My only gripe is that they charge way too much for their equipment. You can make a DIR set-up on a much more comfortable budget if you shop around a bit.

My rig looks DIR (it blatantly isn't due to a few personal touches) but, the cost of mine versus a Halcyon set-up is almost half and I still have a great brand name that I trust.

I really would strongly advise against a SS BP in Asia. I swear I was the only person wearing one there in 2010 :shocked2:

Ive watched several vids on threading a backplate now, I still may do my own bp/w, save some cash and get 2 unbranded BPs ss and al.

I would just use the "40lb" halcyon wing I already have (I don't think it actually has 40lbs of lift). Its not as a big a deal to have a modestly oversized wing as long as its still meant for single tanks.

If I were buying special for this application the Torus 17 or 26 from DSS would be high on my list of choices.

I had actually just found out that DSS has a large selection of wings!

PS: just found multi quote feature

I've worn SS backplate for most of my Caribbean trips and been fine - even needed a bit of extra weight. 190 lbs, 5' 10" (on a good day :wink:), probably ~10 lbs "bioprene". Wearing a well "crushed" 3 mil full suit.

For me the SS plate makes a good compromise, and I use it with weight plates for diving at home in the NE = drysuit.

If I were shopping for a warm-water specific rig there's this little (non-DIR) beauty :D:

It's a Freedom plate with an Oxycheq Mach V 30 lbs wing in that picture.

Henrik

I was looking at water temps in SE Asia and assumed i wouldn't have to wear any neoprene, which is why i was debating getting the AL plate first and getting a SS plate

The best exposure suit for SE Asia really depends on how much time you plan to log underwater and your cold tolerance. Usually by dive 3, I'm happy to have my 5mm and actually carry a 3/5mm vest along for the colder sites like Crystal Bay in Bali Indonesia and/or for dive 4. I rarely see divers in SE Asia without at least a 3mm. Many who are in the water constantly, such as DM's, dive 5mm. But YMMV.

I sold my aluminum plate a long time ago and haven't looked back

I'm several lbs overweight with a SS plate, 3mm wet suit and Al80. A "Small" steel plate weights perfectly with a 5mm for me. But I'm naturally a bit negatively buoyant, so again YMMV.

Oxycheq (and others) use faux corrugated hoses. They're molded plastic and don't stretch at all. Kinda defeats the purpose of corrugation if it doesn't stretch...

On some airlines I've paid more to move my bag than my body so I've gone to the lightest stuff I could find that still met my need; DSS Kydex plate and OMS Slipstream fins. For singles depending on tank and exposure protection I'll add weight in Halcyon pockets on the lower tank band, and for doubles I put a few pounds in a DSS tail weight pouch. Diving without exposure protection as I often do it's impossible not to be slightly overweight, especially with doubles, so the Kydex plate is perfect. I also use a 30# lift wing for singles and find it versatile for different exposure protection and if you decide to carry extra gear like a pony, um er, stage bottle etc..

Oxycheq (and others) use faux corrugated hoses. They're molded plastic and don't stretch at all. Kinda defeats the purpose of corrugation if it doesn't stretch...

Why would it need to, I've never heard of this.

You bend it and pull on it to vent. That's why it's corrugated (or should be). Oxycheq (and others) that use a cheap, molded plastic version is inferior, imo. The plastic can also split at the seam (where the plastic mold comes together) in time.

Here is a thread with some pics I posted and some accounts of issues with the lesser quality hoses.
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/accidents-incidents/365071-bc-failure-10.html

Little details like this are why I use Halcyon equipment. Its ready to rock right out of the box with a good warranty and excellent customer service. I've toured the facility and I see the work and r&d that goes into the products.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom