DIR... what is it, or who are they???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This has got to be the most debated topic on the net.
It is quite interesting to note that the for's and the against never realy change, the numbers stay about the same.
Folks, does it not come down to safe diving practases, that are covered in all courses. Like all divers are supposed to do buddy checks before they dive, like plan your dive, dive your plan. Should you be fit to dive? Do we realy have to answer that question? All courses cover this and not just DIR.
I dive a modified DIR rig. That is what I'm comfortable in.
It is about comfort and about how you and your buddy aquire that comfort. I think it is more important to take more courses and do dives within your limits until you are comfortable to move on. If you are looking for somethimg to call this? Call it D.I.S. Doing IT SAFE.

End rant
o2diver

Sorry I can't help myself here.

From what I've read. My understanding is that you can't have a modified DIR Rig. Once you modify it, it's no longer DIR.

Tavi:tree:

That's it. I'm not true DIR. I use some of the teaching and equipment set up, but that's it. It still comes down to personal preferance. If you do your buddy checks on the boat or shore before you start your dive, and when you get in the water you will be a safer buddy. Knowing your equipment and how it works under the water is a bigger challange since you can't always see it. Practice makes perfect. Do it safe and have fun.
o2diver

Welcome to the club!

Yes, this is MUCH better than the forums you mentioned, plus let's not forget my FAVORITE forum, rec.scuba, aka flame-wars-r-us. You can thank King and Queen Neptune for this moderated, civil board. The heat may go up a wee bit at times, (such as this discussion) but it never becomes the endless, pointless, rants you find elsewhere.

Originally posted by svs3
Would like to add, it's nice to see such polite discussion regarding DIR instead of the the usual flame wars that seem to instantly break out on the Rodale's and techdiver lists as soon as the term DIR is even mentioned

Sam

Hey All,

I knew there would be some passion when I started this thread, but for the most part it HAS been civil. Kudos to all who posted for that!!! Sometimes it is hard to "hear" those little nuances that make something spoken very soft and the same thing written very hard nosed. It shows a lot of respect for the many different ways that we do dive that most have been given the benefit of the doubt.

To be honest, I was glued to the net yesterday (instead of finishing my taxes) researching all about DIR. It was very well presented, and it did make me think. I found out that one of the people I know from way back lives up in N Florida, and is associated with the the DIR group up there. He has offered to come diving with me this weekend, so I will get to see what he does and why. As he put it... "you know I'm not supposed to dive with you, but you're cool". I will be taking him to the Ocean Blue away from his spring environment.

Still, I am feeling mighty dry... time to get wet this weekend....

Pete from Orlando...

Who they are? The guys with more deco time under 150 ft than you have in the water(fresh and salt)The guys who routinely dive dives that would get you bent if you're not in the shape they're in.The guys who developed ways to stay underwater for 1/2 a day below solid rock.I'm not a big fan of the arrogance a couple of them display,but most that I've met are decent guys who don't like people dieing through stupidity.If I were to go do the things they do,I'd follow thier directions implicitly.Most of the bad press they get is undeserved,but 1 loud apple always gets heard.P.S. Someone you know may be DIR and not tell you because of your loud mouth.I say live and let live

Greetings

I am an avid advocate of the DIR style of diving. I think Irvine and JJ are the probably the most awesome divers ever, and have contributed immensely to the sport. I chose to learn from them becuase they are arguably the best divers in the industry today.
Being a DIR diver for a few years now, I have attempted to help change the attitudes of both DIR divers and non DIR divers by discussing the matter in a civil matter. It's quite funny to see that as more people changed to DIR, the tone of these discussions have gotten better and better over time. Sometimes you have to ignore messenger but not the message. The message is that DIR is simple, safe, efficient, and developed and proven by the most experienced divers in the world. It's worth a look.

here in cold, murky (well, now the water is actually clearing up and 100 foot vis was had last weekend) Southern Cal, a goodly number of people are at least, adopting the DIR config kit. It really is versatile and works in a great number of environments. I'll be trying mine on some Indonesian coral reefs pretty quick. The configuration will be severely put through its paces!

Wetdane, in the early 70's salvaging a Civil War wreck, our team used compact, cast aluminum, 100 watt lamps connected to belt mounted aluminum boxes, each of which held a 9 amp hour motorcycle battery. Back then, the concept was fairly new but I should point out that the light system was purchased over the counter, not custom. Attending a cave divers symposium in Florida, I mentioned the light, its design and performance. The presenters derided this concept and made statements in support of their plastic cannisters/NICADS. The seeds of DIR were being planted.

I also appreciate the tone of the conversation here. Even if the handful of vocal DIR and non-DIR proponents keep repeating the same arguements, it's being done in a civil way.

My gear configuration is about 80% similar to what a DIR diver uses and I highly respect and follow that philosophy toward physical fitness, dive preparation and responsibility toward your buddy. What I disagree with is the rule of standardized equipment DIR dictates. Until divers and dive environments become standardized, why should we assume its safe for a standard equipment configuration to work? For example, a quarry diver would have little use for a safety sausage, but a diver in the ocean or Great Lakes shouldn't dive without one. A dive computer may hinder a deep cave diver but will almost always make open water recreational diving safer. The benefit of "not having to think" about what your buddy is using is tiny compared to wearing gear you feel safe and comfortable with.

My suggestion is to read a lot from different sources, particularly your instructor, and experiment with different styles (including DIR) until you develop a knowledge of what works best for you in a given situation. Don't worry if it fits anyone's style, though ask questions about why they dive the style they do-you may learn something. If they call you a "stroke" because you don't feel their style is the safest for you, find another buddy. Like religion, there's no one right way to dive for all people. Beware of those who believe there is.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom