Dir?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you "Drink from the same Kool-Aid", it means you buy into the same belief system. It dates back to a guy by the name of Jim Jones. He led a very interesting life (a very wierd story). He had this huge cult following. About 1000 people did this massive, group suicide by drinking poisoned Kool-Aid while following his beliefs. I read about it once, and it is a trippy story.
Also, I have heard from a friend who works at a State Prison that they always have Kool-Aid for dinner, and they call it "Jim Jones".

Not very dive related, but it is an interesting story, since you was speaking of "drinking the same kool-aid"

:guitar:

Cave Diver... Excellent work there, my friend!

I don't think I've read such a great description before. I'm envious that I haven't been able to put it so eloquently.

Man, that really sums it up. Nice work!

Now maybe it won't seem so "mystical." Maybe it'll help curtail some of the misunderstandings.

:applause:

I would also like to thank both the author and poster of this article. I actually did try to search this subject the other day, and had trouble digging any useable information out of the "flames" :wink:

I now feel intrigued enough to look a little further into DIR and make a more informed judgement about possibly trying it out.

Thanks again......Scott

GQMedic once bubbled...
I imagine I will take this DIR-F class to add to my arsenal of scuba skills. <snip> I simply will NOT part with my split fins, but I think there's alot to be said about skill mastery and equipment configuration.

O.K...you try it in splits, then watch the video and decide for yourself.

and yeah, the class will be a blast....ours was....

I think they should let him use them and see what they look like on video....of course...the kinder, gentler GUE might not want that....

Big-t-2538 once bubbled...
I think they should let him use them and see what they look like on video....of course...the kinder, gentler GUE might not want that....

Although I agree with you about what they would see, it's a total waste of time for both the instructors and the student. They tried letting the student use what THEY thought was the right in the past, and it didn't work. It holds up the rest of the class as well.

I think that the powers that be finally came to the conclusion that if the student wants to learn DIR, they have to Do It Right without compromise in equipment. If they don't want to at least make the attempt, then there are lots of other agencies that are willing to take their money and train them do DITOW- do it their own way.

Sorry for the rant....

detroit diver once bubbled...

I think that the powers that be finally came to the conclusion that if the student wants to learn DIR, they have to Do It Right without compromise in equipment.

While I probably agree with 95% of the Fundy's class, this is one point I still don't totally agree with. While I do think that the equiment required is by far the most efficent, the skill set can still be learned with less than optimal gear. A good diver is going to realize what the best tools are and eventually get them if they want to enjoy their diving, but the fundamental skills (bouyancy, trim, awareness, team management, and communication) will be the same.

I feel that if the student wants to get a 'cert', then the pre-req requirments can be whatever GUE decides for them to be, but I think certification should be an option considering that the class has as much to offer as it does.

SeaJay once bubbled...
I don't think I've read such a great description before. I'm envious that I haven't been able to put it so eloquently.

You can reach the guy that wrote the article at mhk@gue.com.

He's a reasonable sort. He used to go all over doing "DIR Demos" where you could get a first hand look at the configuration, and actualy dive the gear. If they are still doing that, that's what I would reccomend. All the talking and reading and arguing doesn't mean anything.

Try it, and if you like it (I think you will) then you'll know for certain that it's groovy. If you hate it, then you'll know for certain that it sux.

Either way, you'll know.

Ha! Mike wrote that?? I didn't know that he was Cave Diver! That's hilarious! :)

MHK was one of my instructors in my DIR-F course (the other being AndrewG). Very soon I'll be taking the course from Mike again; this time to get the certification (I took it before the cert was offered... Which was good, since I would have blown it anyway. He gave me lots of skills to work on, and now I'm itchin' to show him what I've learned and have him gimme some more.) :)

I promised Mike that one day he and I would dive the 'Doria together. He laughed and said something to the effect of, "Sounds great, but how 'bout learning to maintain buoyancy first?" He was right... But one of these days I'm going to enjoy listening to him tell me, "You know what... You told me we would, and we did just that today." :)

Man, is that inspiring. Gonna buy you a filet minon, Mike, over a post-dive discussion about our dive on the 'Doria together.

Andrew, I'll buy you a bloomin' onion. :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom