Dir?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Davey Diverson once bubbled...

Well, congratulations. I've seen Mike post it about three dozen times, so I assumed he authored the work.

Regardless, it doesn't change my view that the best thing anyone can do if they are curious about DIR is to get a rig on their back, and get in the water. The demos are a good way to do that, and Mike has done a lot of them.

While I agree that the best way to experience what is right for your diving, is to go dive whatever you want and make your own decision.

Frankly I had never seen the article until last week when CD posted it elsewhere....at any rate it is a wonderful little explanation of the history and approach that DIR takes to diving.

Big-t-2538 once bubbled...
here is an article that was posted today....and with the author's permission, I went ahead and cross-posted it here.

It is a great little write up on DIR....

GET SOME Big T!

That should go in the FAQ.

Popeye once bubbled...
here is an article that was posted today....and with the author's permission, I went ahead and cross-posted it here.

It is a great little write up on DIR....

GET SOME Big T!

That should go in the FAQ.

They should probably make it a "sticky" thread like the "don't kill yourself" thread in General Tek Discussions.

Or at least that's how they handled it on TDS.

Drew

Davey Diverson once bubbled...

You can reach the guy that wrote the article at mhk@gue.com.

He's a reasonable sort. He used to go all over doing "DIR Demos" where you could get a first hand look at the configuration, and actualy dive the gear. If they are still doing that, that's what I would reccomend. All the talking and reading and arguing doesn't mean anything.

Try it, and if you like it (I think you will) then you'll know for certain that it's groovy. If you hate it, then you'll know for certain that it sux.

Either way, you'll know.

MHK did a DIR Demo at Gilboa at the end of May.

SeaJay once bubbled...
At least that's what he SAYS he is. :D I think he really works for the government.

Just kidding, of course.

You may be right. Here's MHK doing some sort of demo...

http://www.huntzinger.com/dive/strokes/archive/mhk-dog.jpg

It's true, though, that Mike doesn't fit the normal "accountant" stereotype. Mike's a big guy, very personable and talented. He's a positively amazing diver.

No pocket protectors there! :D

IIRC, he's a CPA, but is a top dog type in an investment counselling firm.

In Beverly Hills.

I can't thank him enough for the guidence he's given me.

JustAddWater once bubbled...
SeaJay,
I checked out the LCScuba.com link that is post script on your threads. Is that a dive club that you belong to? Great pictures.
JAW

It isn't really a dive club any more. We started it as a club for the University but I said STOP when it got to be a pain in the a$$ and we weren't diving near as much as we were filing paperwork and filling out waivers and dealing with bureaucratic red tape. We kept the site because we enjoy diving and meeting people that like to dive and it is a great source of information. And, we are computer geeks too. He's more "geek" than I. HAHAHA Sorry honey. He likes to do the work and asks me "you like? Yes or No." I say change this, do that. Or that's great - go for it." It is a lot of work keeping up with it all (he's brilliant with it) and people assume too much having it up there. Come dive with us doesn't mean we are a service provider, it means we like to dive and have fun and if you are in the area, come dive with us. Anyway. Back to stealth mode. R

Popeye once bubbled...
GET SOME Big T!
he he...I'd love to, but I'll have to ask the wife what she's doing later this evening....

Wow....where the hell did you find that.../B]

Rec.scuba... where all things good and wholesome originate.

Back
Top Bottom