Dir?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

At least that's what he SAYS he is. :D I think he really works for the government.

Just kidding, of course.

It's true, though, that Mike doesn't fit the normal "accountant" stereotype. Mike's a big guy, very personable and talented. He's a positively amazing diver.

No pocket protectors there! :D

SeaJay once bubbled...
No pocket protectors there! :D
And just what, my friend, is wrong with pocket protectors? Well? :)

Roak

roakey once bubbled...

And just what, my friend, is wrong with pocket protectors? Well? :)

Roak

This from the man who wears a "Team Dweeb" hat. :)

It's true, though, that Mike doesn't fit the normal "accountant" stereotype. Mike's a big guy, very personable and talented. He's a positively amazing diver.

That's what head shrinkers call "compensating" for the fact that he's a bean counter.

Not that there is anything wrong with that.

Regardless, if you can talk him into a demo, try. It's the only real way of discovering if you think DIR is worth the hype.

Davey Diverson once bubbled...

You can reach the guy that wrote the article at mhk@gue.com.

You can reach Mike at that address, but he didn't write the article.

Davey Diverson once bubbled...

You can reach the guy that wrote the article at mhk@gue.com.

Sorry to disappoint you, but MHK did not write that article.

It is something that I wrote quite a while back when there was a large influx of new divers asking about DIR.

Because of the "shove it down your throat" stigma that a lot of people seem to associate with DIR, I never posted it on this board. When someone asked about it, I would offer to send them the article and so far about a two dozen people have PM'ed me asking for a copy of it. I was willing to provide it for those that were intereste without subjecting those who werent to it.

I posted it several months ago on a technical board, because they have a forum dedicated to DIR and I felt that was a better place for it.

Thanks for the kind words from everyone regarding the article, and for Big T for believing that it was good enough to be worth cross posting to this forum.

I think that one of the best aspects of the article was the link I included to the class reports from others who took the DIRF class.

For anyone who REALLY wants to know what DIR is about, those are what you need to read.

Cave Diver once bubbled...
Sorry to disappoint you, but MHK did not write that article.

Yeah, I'm all broke up about that.

It is something that I wrote quite a while back when there was a large influx of new divers asking about DIR.

Well, congratulations. I've seen Mike post it about three dozen times, so I assumed he authored the work.

Regardless, it doesn't change my view that the best thing anyone can do if they are curious about DIR is to get a rig on their back, and get in the water. The demos are a good way to do that, and Mike has done a lot of them.

<edited>

Triple double-take.

Okay, so Cave Diver isn't MHK. I didn't think so... That really blew my mind. :)

I agree with Davey... Ya ain't really gonna know until ya go for it.

Of course, while you're waiting for your class, buy the Fundamentals book (available at http://www.extreme-exposure.com ) and read it. It'll help prep you.

'Course, it's mandatory reading now anyway... But my point is that it'll help answer a lot of questions.

At least, it did for me.

Cave... YOU DA MAN! :D

Hey... Does my pocket protector have to be black to be DIR?

Just kidding.

<runs and hides>

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom