Dive boat mask defog?????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

serrada:
On the other hand, I see this action happen all the time and don’t understand why? Many divers put the defog in their mask and throw it into the mask water bucket and leave it in there until they dive and after their first dive they get out of the water and just throw it back into the mask water bucket until there second dive. Am I missing something? I’m afraid my mask will get all fogged up if I try this.

Either they are diving with foggy masks or there is enough defog in the mask bucket to keep their mask clear. :D

Those who leave their masks in the bucket gain nothing. I use Sea Drops on a dry mask, let it dry well, rinse it - being careful to not get the rinse water in the bucket. Spit works, but I prefer the drops.

do it easy:
Either they are diving with foggy masks or there is enough defog in the mask bucket to keep their mask clear. :D

That's what I thought it might be, but didn't want to have a foggy mask on my dives. I this this quite often though.

serrada:
That's what I thought it might be, but didn't want to have a foggy mask on my dives. I this this quite often though.
Oh yeah - dive boats often squirt some shampoo into the rinse buckets, so they're probly getting some defog from that. I really prefer to rinse my Sea Drop treated mask in the ocean.

I am no good for spit either, just doesn't work, I put a little defog in and then add some water so it doesn't dry out and then just dump it when I am ready to put it on, works good for me

Spitting instructions: If you spit just the saliva (thin liquid) secrections from the front of your mouth, it does not have enough mucus to coat the glass and act as an efficient defogger.

So you have to bring up gouey-mucus type stuff from the back of your throat, i.e. "lugie" and spit that into your mask. I'm sure many of you previously "spit-impaired" types will now find you no longer have this disability! :D :D

After all what do you think is in those defogger tubes?

Spit on!

I had never seen this one until a trip to Cozumel. The divemasters had a bottle hanging in their gear area with a pink substance in it, which they used for defogging. I finally had to ask what they were using and the answer was one I hadn't seen before. They were using a solution of fabric softener and water. They just splashed some in, rinsed very quickly with clean water and that was it. Makes sense, but I hadn't thought of it or heard of it before.

Johnsons Baby shampoo + water in a spray bottle (I pick up the travel size shampoo and a cheap spray bottle from the dollar store or Target). Spray the mask and you are good to go -- no fog, no tears, and it smells great.

Leave your mask in the clean water bucket- why dry salt crud on it?

Same with dive computers, dive lights and watches. Leave them in a bucket. Better than repeated drying and encrustation cycles?

That's why it is done with cameras.

Did I mention that you might want to use toothpaste before every dive instead of SeaGold?

Back
Top Bottom