Dive boat mask defog?????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Interesting about the fabric softener.

My wife had bought a new mask, did the toothpaste cleaning and 'seasoned' the mask with Sea Drops a few times before the first use of the mask. The fogging on one lense drove her nuts.

So she re-cleans the mask with toothpaste, adds more Sea Drops and now both lenses are fogging.

Why? Well, after washing out the toothpaste she used a towel to dry off the inside of the mask. The towel had just enough fabric softener to put some sort of residue on the lense which messed up the Sea Drops.

A cleaning with the toothpaste and towel dry with paper towels (this time), the application of the Sea Drops and she never had the problem again.

Never thought much about it, but toothpaste would be perfect, since it's a mild abrasive with a little detergent, so you get "clean" and "no surface tension" all in one minty package!

Terry

scububa:
I think a big differentiator is keeping your mask clean. Toothpaste does this by adding a mild abrasive to the mix. I think most of the defoggers are simply helping this along (which is why the J&J baby shampoo is popular). A little soap left behind helps reduce the surface tension, but being clean is really key.

I listened to a very experienced diver once tell a student that a big key to defogger working was to rub it in really, really well. (I think this is basically a cleaning action.)

I have all the divers in the boat and the captain spit into my mask. It's become part of my pre-dive ritual. Not only does my mask not fog up, but it's a new way to make friends.

To answer the second question on your mind(s): No, I am not serious.

Dan Dan the Scuba Man:
my instructors taught us to "makeout" with our masks, it's more effective then spitting and after the quick rinse it's clear for the day
He's talking serious tongue action, I think. :11:
:lol:
The more I read about people spitting in their masks, and now tongue - and I know some of these masks are going into the rinse bucket, the more I think I'll avoid the bucket completely.

My mask is the first piece of equip. I get ready. This way my spit has plenty of time to dry.

I never have an issue with fog.

I wonder if the products (spit or fancy) we are using are simply filling the rough spots of the glass which makes it impossible for water droplets to "grab" the glass. I'm thinking a Rain-X effect.......

pcarlson1911:
I wonder if the products (spit or fancy) we are using are simply filling the rough spots of the glass which makes it impossible for water droplets to "grab" the glass. I'm thinking a Rain-X effect.......
Yep, think so

I thought it was a matter of removing the surface tension on the glass.

I'm old,been at this a long time, I use a 60/40 mix any no tears baby shampoo cut with rubbing alcohol. Most baby shampoo is sold in a 15oz bottles today, just pour out 5oz and fill with rubbing alcohol, works as a suit cleaner also..........>
OLD DIVER

He's talking serious tongue action, I think. :11:
:lol:
The more I read about people spitting in their masks, and now tongue - and I know some of these masks are going into the rinse bucket, the more I think I'll avoid the bucket completely.

Those rinse buckets are teaming with bacteria. No way am I rinsing my mask in that. I carry a bottle of water. I put defog on my mask, put a little water in the mask and leave it there until just before I put it on. I also rinse my face with water to make sure all my hair is back and won't get in the mask. Never a problem.

If a mask fogs during a dive, just let a little water in and swish it around.

I also never put my reg mouthpiece in the communal rinse tank. I use fresh water from the spigot or take it back to the room and rinse it off in the shower.

Ever wonder why so many people get sick after a dive trip?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom