Dive Report, 6-13, Spring Tide on the wreck of the arundo

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sean326

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
We had a great dive on the Spring Tide this Sunday thanks to Captain Ron and John the mate. We dove the wreck of the Arundo about an hour and a half out of Brielle. We were underway by 6:45 the boat was easy to find but harder to load than the Tuna Seizure. The weather perfect but the water was a little rough (not alot just a little) maybe 1' to 3 '.

The Spring Tide is a nicer boat than the web page would lead you to believe. It was comfortable for 6 divers (8 including Ron & John)

We hooked the wreck quickly and we were able to splash in as soon as people got geared up.

The wreck was huge and the depth where we hooked it was about 125' deep, vis was about 20' to 30' and I think I heard the temp was about 44.

Once on the wreck it was easy to make out several large truck tires and whole trucks. I ran a 150' wreck reel out to the end and never found any thing cool to pick up and never was really able to identify any parts of the wreck just a vast debris field. This may have been my own fault as I kept my mask in the mud looking for relics and never hovered far enough above the wreck to try to see the big picture. One of our group found a really nice pair of brass binoculars. several divers also got bugs, maybe 4 or 5 for the boat.

Before going in my buddy Jim and I had dropped a deco hang bottle with two regs down to about 20'. We did this mostly because I was Planning on doing both my dives using my twin 100 HP's and I thought that I would rather not use the air in my tanks for deco on the first dive. Several other divers dropped gear lines as well.

While doing our deco hang after the first dive we looked down and saw about 6 or 7 sharks circling below us. They were 3' to 4' and they kept striking and sniffing at the weights at the end of the gear lines. After we got back in the boat another returning diver then told us he saw the sharks sniffing around our hang bottle, especially my yellow hose and yellow trimmed reg. I already give leisure pro enough business so I brought up the hang bottle.

We all took about a two hour surface interval and most of us did a second dive, still no relic. We were back in the the marina by 3:45pm.

Great dive, great weather, great boat, Thanks Ron & John

Sean326:
While doing our deco hang after the first dive we looked down and saw about 6 or 7 sharks circling below us. They were 3' to 4' and they kept striking and sniffing at the weights at the end of the gear lines. After we got back in the boat another returning diver then told us he saw the sharks sniffing around our hang bottle, especially my yellow hose and yellow trimmed reg.

We are a little further east than you guys, but we have had these same shark sightings on several dives. Last week on the Eureka, and week before on the Oregon.

Seems to be more sightings this year than I have ever heard before.

was fishing the wall saw you guys coming in. glad you had a good trip

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom