Dive tomorrow!!!! Plz

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I wouldn't so much say that you called it wrong... as the Breakwater is divable most of the time.... just that because of the feedback on vis and a visual of the dive site conditions it just wasn't worth if for them.

It's a bit of a sliding scale with other factors included on whether to make the drive down or not... then the call if it's safe to enter... then finally is it worth it.

Yep. We read things the same way you did (more or less), and a report I got yesterday was encouraging enough to make the drive down. We could have made the dive safely, but the really low vis and wave action on the surface didn't have us feeling good about it. We were already on the fence, and after loaning my cell phone to the owner of the nearly drowned dog neither of us were really feeling it.

Breakwater was a ghost town this morning, which is generally a sign that it might be better to just eat breakfast. :)

My plan B is to head over to the Monterey Sports Center.... you can do laps (in prep for a class or just to keep in shape) and the giant water slide is awesome :)

Dang, so if I come from Sacramento to dive how will I know if I will get there and not even be able to dive. that would suck if I already went and got air fills and all that.

Dang, so if I come from Sacramento to dive how will I know if I will get there and not even be able to dive. that would suck if I already went and got air fills and all that.

It's a risk you have to be willing to take. I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of the incidents that occur at Monastery (and elsewhere) are due to that feeling of "I drove all the way down here and I'll be damned if I'm not going in the water."

I've driven from Sacramento several times and not dove. It sucks, no denying. But it is part of diving. Whenever I go down I take my camera with me and if I can't dive I'll try to find some place to shoot photos. There is also the aquarium and other stuff to do. My personal feeling is if you aren't willing to drive down there and not dive then you shouldn't be diving at all.

One thing I noticed from the forecast from this weekend is that the swell was almost a perfect NW swell. That pretty much kills 90% of the protected dive sites. So when I see that it is a good indication that I might just wanna stay home. One thing that forecasts really don't tell you is what the vis is gonna be like. I've seen it be calm as heck but not be able to see 5'. See days where it was rather rough and it is clear underwater.

It's hard to know what the conditions are like unless you show up and look.

Turns out the swell died down by Sunday afternoon.

BW vis was poor, but the surface was pretty flat and there was very little movement deeper than 20 ft.

We kicked out to the barge which was dark with a grainy 8-10 ft vis. Detail faded after 3-4ft.

The conditions were not inspiring, but they were quite divable.

I've driven from Sacramento several times and not dove. It sucks, no denying. But it is part of diving. Whenever I go down I take my camera with me and if I can't dive I'll try to find some place to shoot photos. There is also the aquarium and other stuff to do. My personal feeling is if you aren't willing to drive down there and not dive then you shouldn't be diving at all.

One thing I noticed from the forecast from this weekend is that the swell was almost a perfect NW swell. That pretty much kills 90% of the protected dive sites. So when I see that it is a good indication that I might just wanna stay home. One thing that forecasts really don't tell you is what the vis is gonna be like. I've seen it be calm as heck but not be able to see 5'. See days where it was rather rough and it is clear underwater.

or like my cert dives, rough and terrible viz:D

It's hard to know what the conditions are like unless you show up and look.

Turns out the swell died down by Sunday afternoon.

BW vis was poor, but the surface was pretty flat and there was very little movement deeper than 20 ft.

We kicked out to the barge which was dark with a grainy 8-10 ft vis. Detail faded after 3-4ft.

The conditions were not inspiring, but they were quite divable.

I'm glad to hear it cleared up in the afternoon, and you guys got a dive in. The morning conditions plus a few bad omens on the surface kept us out. We will take revenge on the ocean as soon as possible... :D

Back
Top Bottom