Dive tomorrow!!!! Plz

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That would be so nice! Just materialize right in the water! In that case i'm not going to monterey! I'm thinking the Great Barrier Reef for todays dive! :)

Like these conditions when instructors had their students out? Both photos were taken less than a minute apart. Watching the beach for a few minutes showed just how bad it really was. Our dive team had canceled our dives, and it was a class weekend for us. The instructor let us decide but said he might override our decision. Since he didn't override us we must have made the right decision by his standards.
72904d1267514900-weekend-diving-plans-26-27-feb-10-breakwater-when-surf-out.jpg

Who wants to get slammed into the stair case railing? We watched a student do just that earlier in the day.
72905d1267514905-weekend-diving-plans-26-27-feb-10-breakwater-surf.jpg

Thanks for the pics, Pete! I'm relieved to see that is not me in the pic as I previously thought! LOL! I've only dove there a couple times and at neither was it even remotely that bad. No way in hell would I have done that in doubles with a DPV. Singles, maybe, but my tolerance for fast moving water is pretty high. :D

Wow, you will need to correctly time the entry and exit to minimize the chances of getting into trouble. Out of curiosity, how would most you have handled the entry or exit given these conditions.

Would you wait for the lull in the cycle, walk in to deep enough water to don your fins? Would you don your fins and wait until the water reached the stairs and tried to swim out as the water recedes?

Likewise for the exit, would you crawl to the stairs or remove your fins and walk quickly to the stairs during the lull?

C.

Claude, I would be having a nice breakfast and hot coffee at the deli. Conditions like that, other than being hazardous, the visibility is probably horrible, and not worth the effort.

Wow, you will need to correctly time the entry and exit to minimize the chances of getting into trouble. Out of curiosity, how would most you have handled the entry or exit given these conditions.
I would time the entry for the next weekend maybe? Exit would follow about an hour and a half after entry, the following weekend also.

Now if I came out to those conditions, and I have, all you can do is try to time the waves or wait it out.

Anyone ever swam into the harbor before?

Would you wait for the lull in the cycle, walk in to deep enough water to don your fins? Would you don your fins and wait until the water reached the stairs and tried to swim out as the water recedes?

Likewise for the exit, would you crawl to the stairs or remove your fins and walk quickly to the stairs during the lull?

C.

+1 to Peter's "next week" entry.

However, I would walk out in the lull, then stand there and wait for a big wave and sit down when it arrives, float out. Similar getting out: go in on a wave, remove and secure fins, run in. I don't find moving quickly in a single tank and backplate difficult but YMMV greatly.

+1 to Peter's "next week" entry.

However, I would walk out in the lull, then stand there and wait for a big wave and sit down when it arrives, float out. Similar getting out: go in on a wave, remove and secure fins, run in. I don't find moving quickly in a single tank and backplate difficult but YMMV greatly.
You really haven't been worked over by the ocean yet, have you? Don't you surf, (If not you should!) living in Santa Cruz? Maytagged is "Word" for a reason.

I feel in singles (HP100) at the Breakwater during a big set that hit me a little above hip high. What tripped me was one of those dang rocks that I couldn't see thru the surf. Down I went and the mask on my face was gone. Fortunately a nice person set it on top of the shower, less than an hour later :cool2:

i would dive in from the pier :)
What pier?

You really haven't been worked over by the ocean yet, have you? Don't you surf, (If not you should!) living in Santa Cruz? Maytagged is "Word" for a reason.

I feel in singles (HP100) at the Breakwater during a big set that hit me a little above hip high. What tripped me was one of those dang rocks that I couldn't see thru the surf. Down I went and the mask on my face was gone. Fortunately a nice person set it on top of the shower, less than an hour later :cool2:

What pier?

the wall? Whatever you call it?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom