Diving in Jupiter

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MSPDiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I am looking for general info on diving Jupiter. I have been diving in Pompano and Ft. Lauderdale as well as the Keys. I keep seeing that Jupiter has ripping currents and you must be a great diver and such. Is there that big of a difference? Do you actually fight the current and have to get back to the boat or is it straight up drift dive with a flag. Is wreck type diving or reef or both? I ask this because I want to retire in this area simply because I love diving. It will be some time before I retire (17 years, ouch)

Thanks to all who look :confused:

I'll try to take a stab, since it's right out my back door. I'd expect a few other regulars to pop in as well.

In general: Jupiter ledges tend to be a little deeper than just south of us in WPB or Ft. Lauderdale--70-90 ft., with most boat dives averaging around 80 ft. It is always drift diving when diving off charters. Because of the depths, it's optimal to be nitrox certified. It is not necessary, but your bottom times get very limited if you're diving air only.

I'd say the bulk of the dives in the area are reef oriented, though there are a few nice wrecks in the area. There is a series of three in a row that often get done as a drift--the Zion, Miss Jenny, and the Bonaire.

The life on the wrecks and the reefs have some tendency towards larger species--I almost always see a few Goliath Groupers, sharks are not uncommon, and the largest turtles I see are consistently at the Jupiter ledges.

So, extremely advanced diving--not really; though a little more experience (and nitrox certification) will certainly make you more comfortable. However, if you are still not so comfortable with those profiles/descriptions, the Riviera Beach Marina where many of the WPB dive charters depart from are about 1/2 hour south of Jupiter, and those profiles can range from 20/30 ft to 60/80 ft.
Feel free to ask any other questions; it's not such a bad place to retire to!

What KBeck said.... lol.. I would add that is would be a good idea to hire a personal dive guide or have a friend that is very familiar with the diving in Jupiter the first time you go. Although not an advanced dive; diving in these currents (sometimes a cross current), at these depths can turn a easy dive into a very stressfull dive. Jupiter is well worth the time and some of the best diving in the world after taking in all the factors of affordability and location. Enjoy and good luck..

I am looking for general info on diving Jupiter. I have been diving in Pompano and Ft. Lauderdale as well as the Keys. I keep seeing that Jupiter has ripping currents and you must be a great diver and such. Is there that big of a difference? Do you actually fight the current and have to get back to the boat or is it straight up drift dive with a flag. Is wreck type diving or reef or both? I ask this because I want to retire in this area simply because I love diving. It will be some time before I retire (17 years, ouch)

Thanks to all who look :confused:

Your profile dictates you will have little issues with this style diving after the first day. Actually, I beleive it is easier than most other diving pursuits in that there is little or no navigation required and little physical excertion necassary due to the fact the currents largely dictaing your direction. I agree with the above poster that you may consider engaging a DM in order to gain the knowledge necessary for this style of diving as well as guiding you underwater to see more things of interst. A 4-6 ft SMB is highly advised as divers will often become seperated from the float-ball carrying DM by hundreds of yards or more. I highly recomend Jupiter Dive Center.....

A 4-6 ft SMB is highly advised as divers will often become seperated from the float-ball carrying DM by hundreds of yards or more. I highly recomend Jupiter Dive Center.....

Your not kidding! I have had that happen a few times, and a mirror and a loud whistle. The currents rip thats for sure. But it makes it very relaxing when you don't have to do anything but go with the flow, so to speak. But there is some really nice dive spots all along there, Ft. Peirce, WPB, Jupiter, and all down south. And plenty of boats every where. So enjoy!

Currents rip more in the summer time. There is rarely any need to fight the current or over-exert. Just cruise along and enjoy the drift. I dive Jupiter every week and agree with everybody who has already chimed in. IMHO, Jupiter is my favorite place to dive in Florida. The goliath groupers will start to aggregate soon. It is quite common to drop in on 80 goliaths on the Jupiter wrecks in Sept./Oct. The MGIII is one aggregation site at about 70 ft. The other is the wreck trek, Zion, Miss Jenny, Bonaire. They also gather at the deep ledge at 130 ft. but those are ripping and dangerous currents right now.

Are the currents much like Cozumel? Are there a lot of issues with the bull sharks? NO problem with the safety smb or the whistle. Is the reef colorful or is it more about the spearfishing. I take it diving is year round but issue with wind in the winter. Do most people use larger tanks such 100 or 110. I am nitrox cert and Master diver with about 250 + dives. As well as public safety diver use to 0 vis. But I am not big on certifications meaning expierence. Everyone has their confort levels in conditions they are use to.

Are the currents much like Cozumel? Are there a lot of issues with the bull sharks? NO problem with the safety smb or the whistle. Is the reef colorful or is it more about the spearfishing. I take it diving is year round but issue with wind in the winter. Do most people use larger tanks such 100 or 110. I am nitrox cert and Master diver with about 250 + dives. As well as public safety diver use to 0 vis. But I am not big on certifications meaning expierence. Everyone has their confort levels in conditions they are use to.

I cannot comment on the current comparison as I have not dived in Cozumel as chasing girls and alcohol seem to always get into the way. You will probaly not see many bull sharks in SE Flrida unless you are in close proximity of spearfishing. The reefs have nice structure and some coral but I would not descrbe them as overly colorful. Diving beyond November generally means the weather will not allow you to dive 30-40% of the time. Lately, the seas have been flat calm. Most average sized males utilize steel HP100 tanks with females using HP80's or LP85's. With regard to the concern with currents it is my experience that divers only get stressed with drift diving when they become seperated for whatever reason with the diver towing the float ball and are not proficent with deploying their SMB. A lot of divers simply rig their SMB with a 18' line and deploy at the safety stop which will mark your location with the boat crew and provide an element of safety with your final ascent and any errant boat traffic. Also, most all charter boats have tall towers from which to keep an eye on the action.

I have been to Cozumel many times. The currents are similar with Jupiter having a stiffer one on the deep ledge (120 fSW.) There is virtually no color on the Jupiter reefs. But there is a really nice 20 ft. profile ledge and loads of great fishlife. Where Jupiter lacks in color and makes up for it with great fishlife makes it my favorite place to dive. Reef and nurse sharks are common in Jupiter but bull sharks are a rarity. They hang out most on the 120 ft. ledge with the schooling bonitas and jacks. If you are really lucky, you'll see a great hammerhead. They are spotted frequently but you have to be in the right place at the right time. I have led divers just out of certification class on nice Jupiter drift dives. Personally, I don't think it's wise to do your first dives in Jupiter. But they have all done fine. Nitrox is a must. 34-36 percent will generally give you a 45 minute bottom time on the 70-90 ft. ledge. Air divers without computers are limited to 25 minutes. It's a real heartbreaker for them when the action is good. I use steel 100s which tend to be overkill for me now that my air consumption has gotten pretty good. Most men diving AL 80s find their bottom time shortened at these depths. I also attach at line to my SMB but use 30 ft. to facilitate easing me into position at 15 ft. Anybody who surfaces without deploying an SMB at depth is crazy. It's only been about 6 months since Rob Murphy lost both legs just below the knee after being hit by a boat. There are a lot of people operating boats out there who don't know the law nor what they are doing.
Here is one of our Jupiter lemon sharks.
mid_43-8745E173837C46B5A3067D3335BC9C1C.jpg

My SMB with 30 ft. of line attached with a swivel and tied to a stainless steel bolt. The weighted bolt drops below me and prevents me from getting tangled in the line.
mid_43-0C524EDEE55B402B9496DC68CEFA8B07.jpg

What it looks like when you are trying to sneak up on a school of lemons against the current.
mid_43-AA4CDE84BF03442BBE22B9661C77AFCF.jpg

Last edited:
Do the lemons giv eyou any problems or do they usually scury off when they feel your presence? That is a great idea with the weighted bolt. I am going to rig that up to my smb. I like to shoot photos not into spearfishing. I guess this is wide angle territory. Do a lot of divers in this part of Forida just take weekends and hit all the good spot from Jupiter down to the Keys?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom