Diving Tip of the Day... For Dummies.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I had just gone on a 90 minute dive to ~102ft max depth. It was chilly and raining at the surface, so I was getting fills and chatting still in my drysuit. My wife called me, and it dawned on me.....and everybody around me......that my phone had gone for a cave dive with me. I had to unzip my drysuit to get to the phone. Luckily, that was far and away the driest dive that drysuit ever gave me.

my phone had gone for a cave dive with me. I had to unzip my drysuit to get to the phone.
Be happy you didn't just put it in your DS pocket before you went under. That's not recommended.

I backrolled off a boat in Coz without my reg in my mouth. I thought the boat captain was going to have a heart attack! No problem, just put it in when my head reached the surface.

iPhone took a swim about a month ago in the pool. I bent over and it slipped out of my pocket into the deep end. I was able to retrieve it within about 20 seconds. Thank goodness it was in an OtterBox! It turned on and worked fine until the next day. The button you push at the bottom of the phone to get your phone to wake up didn't work. It also wouldn't charge. I went to Apple and they said it was probably going to die within a few days. I went home and put it in a bag of rice and by the second day it worked perfectly! I kept it in the rice for about five days and only took it out when I was going somewhere in the car. Knock on wood.....my iPhone is till working, however, I did get a new one just in case. It's still in the box it came in.

Years ago when I was an inexperienced AOW (hey, I wasn't really "Advanced"--let's start a thread on that....), a 10 pound weight fell out of it's pocket into 20+ fsw (I didn't lose the pocket out of the BC, I guess I didn't tuck the velcro flap in the BC pocket in a way that it wouldn't flip open). Saw this silvery thing sinking and wondered what kind of fish THAT was. After realising it was my weight, I of course tried to descend to retrieve it. Then I tried again........

#4 dive in a dry suit, checked my gear and jumped of the boat. Descent and.........I forgot to connect dry suit inflator. Next dive, check the damn hose, connected, jumped, congratulated myself for remembering damn hose and descent, something not right.......forgot to close my harness (btw. never would figure out something is wrong, if not for right handed weight belt buckle).
P.S. need to change my avatar as going BP&W now

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom