Do I need a Dive Computer?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In a word, No. You really don't need a computer. I bought one when I knew I was going to be on a trip diving three or four times a day. A computer is very useful in that situation. My wife has been diving tables since 1988. I just bought her a computer because it was a good deal and it was the one she wanted (big numbers, easy to read). I still check the tables before I dive just in case. Computers fail you know, tables don't.

You definetly need a watch. If you use the tables either without a computer or as a backup in case your computer fails, you will need a watch to time your dives. I suggest one that has both a stopwatch (to time your dive time) and a countdown timer (that can be set for your 3 min safety stop). One with a good electroluminescent backlight like found on the Timex Indiglo is nice.

For trips with multiple dives, consider a computer, as you will get longer bottom times. If you just use the tables you will have much shorter times than your buddy, and besides not being able to enjoy as long of a dive, you will end his dive prematurely, as well.

You should always plan your dives (with the computer or tables), but with just a watch you have to remember to set the countdown timer before the dive, start the stopwatch when you descend, stop the stopwatch when you ascend, and start the countdown timer when you get to your safety stop. A computer does all this automatically, so in my opinion, a computer will handle much of the workload for you, as well as giving you longer bottom times on mult-level or repetitive dives.

Either way, I would suggest reviewing how to use your tables before each dive trip, since it doesn't sound like you will be diving often enough to remain proficient in their use.

I think the opposite of others......A new Diver will benifit more than a more experenced diver will. I use both the dive computer (Viper Swento) and a watch. I will use the computer to work My dive plan. I will check with the plan as to the time and depth. I will recheck the plan at the safety stop to ensure that I have planned well and both the watch/tables and the computer are in agreement.
I always trim off some of the bottom time and increase the safety stop. Being Fat and OLD I will give myself a break. Bill

Deus:
Do I need a Dive Computer?
I will be divin 3 xs a year minimum, HOPEFULLY a lot more, and was wondering if I need a dive watch. I will mostly be diving in tropics with dive shops. I know they plan it out but things like monitoring ascending rates seem invaluable.

Do I really need this? If so how much am I looking at spending?

Yes... you need a dive computer!

Why spend as much for a watch or timer, depth gauge and tables? (How much would a sun dial, a lead line and an abacus cost?)

Dive computers are the bomb! One of the best things to ever happen to this sport.

SDI requires them for OW. They are very affordable.

It amazes me that usually only the anti-computer crowd usually speaks up.

Quote: 3 xs a year minimum, HOPEFULLY a lot more,

Proud computer owner since the Edge, in the mid-80s. I hate to even freedive without one!

Chad

Chad Carney:
Dive computers are the bomb! One of the best things to ever happen to this sport.

It amazes me that usually only the anti-computer crowd usually speaks up.

I don't believe that the mojority of posters are anti computer. I know I am very much for them. The majority of the posts have been pro computer.

And I think they are great.

HOWEVER, the question was necessity. And they are not necessary. Highly recommended, but not necessary.

Chad Carney:
Why spend as much for a watch or timer, depth gauge and tables?

Unless I'm mistaken you will have to buy tables as part of your cert class, so that expense doesn't count. A usable watch costs about $30. A lot cheaper than any computers I've seen. However I do agree with the earlier poster that a bottom timer is about as expensive as a comp, so not worth the money.

Deus:
3 Dive Trips a Year with around 4- 5 dives each
You don't have to spend a fortune on a dive computer like I did (Suunto Cobra). Larry at Scubatoys.com sells nitrox dive computers that are wrist mounted for < $300.

Another option would be to rent a computer where you doing your diving, most dive resorts have daily and weekly rentals, and your local LDS may also do rentals. The downside to this is if you have to learn a different computer everytime you go diving, increases task loading IMO. Nicer to either own your own or rent the same type of computer each time (ie.e from your LDS).

3dent:
For trips with multiple dives, consider a computer, as you will get longer bottom times. If you just use the tables you will have much shorter times than your buddy, and besides not being able to enjoy as long of a dive, you will end his dive prematurely, as well.

Either way, I would suggest reviewing how to use your tables before each dive trip, since it doesn't sound like you will be diving often enough to remain proficient in their use.

I suppose this falls on deaf ears on a recreational board, but you can get significantly more bottom time using tables (particularly computer generated ones) than you can with just about all of the dive computers out there. (This assumes good physical conditioning and a willingness to push the limits.) You can easily plan multi-level with tables. That, plus learning to keep track of your average depth is all you need. If you don't want to push any limits you can still get the same bottom time you would with a computer that you would dive conservatively. It is a matter of understanding this stuff and it isn't rocket science.

Computers just allow you not to think. Which is fine. And, most people thta go on a few trips a year prefer this and would not switch. They aren't that expensive. But, you should realize that it is a short term convience for which a little practice would negate the need. Plus, most are horrendously conservative and programmed for the least fit diver.

Yeah, you have another vote for a watch and tables from me at first. I mean you might be able to work out a deal with a LDS that sells used computers because if you are not doing much diving, there really is no need for computers that calculate for multiple gasses and such. All in all, I think if you get a good watch and tables you should be alright. However, if you have some money to cough up, you can look for a computer that is perfect for your type of diving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom