Do I need a Dive Computer?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RTodd... realize that this is a poster who expects to dive only on vacation in warm water locations a couple of times per year.

I think you need to pick a different thread to bring up your point. Start one and I'll join you.

3dent:
Unless I'm mistaken you will have to buy tables as part of your cert class, so that expense doesn't count. A usable watch costs about $30. A lot cheaper than any computers I've seen.

OK, not all the posters are anti-computer, (I said usually twice), but they sure pop out of the wood work don't they?

Anti-computer kit:
I'd be real leary of a $30 watch... but we'll use your $. (A nice Zeagle, Rolex watch clone suggests for $118.)
No tables required to purchase in many OW courses. SDI doesn't even have one in their price list. I found one online for $8. LP.com
Wrist Depth gauge $50. LP.com
Total $88

Atmos 1 wrist computer online $164. Scubatoys.com

Should even a casual diver upgrade from the dubious and twice as bulky kit above, to a respected computer for only $76???
No brainer! (It's just a tool and a new diver today can afford to own a couple of them... plus the old tools if feeling historical.)

Chad

Just for giggles...any anti -computer divers out there also boat captains? Do you not recommend using a GPS?

Chad Carney:
Just for giggles...any of you anti -computer divers also boat captains? Do you not recommend using a GPS?
Chad... yesterday we nailed the middle of a wreck without the GPS (antenna connection failed) but I certainly prefer to use GPS.

As for dive computers... I get more time underwater doing it my way. :D

BTW... on the second dive I forgot to take along my bottom timer/depth gauge. I still was able to call the depth and time of the stops... but then I dive more than 3 times a year.

So... yes, you need a computer.

RTodd:
....snip....

Computers just allow you not to think. Which is fine.

It doesn't sound to me like you really think it's fine. It sounds to me like you're making a judgement about people who use computers and then saying that it's fine. To me this comes across as cynical. Which is fine.

I think for casual divers computers are the answer. Most casual divers aren't trained well enough to make on-the-fly multilevel dives and/or are not fit enough on the whole to "push" anything. What you're suggesting goes a little beyond the scope of the this thread.

BTW, you can "push" a computer to the limits too..... if it's wise to do so is the question.

R..

Uncle Pug:
Chad... yesterday we nailed the middle of a wreck without the GPS (antenna connection failed) but I certainly prefer to use GPS.

Wow....was visibility THAT good.... :D

R..

Chad Carney:
Atmos 1 wrist computer online $164. Scubatoys.com

Should even a casual diver upgrade from the dubious and twice as bulky kit above, to a respected computer for only $76???
No brainer! (It's just a tool and a new diver today can afford to own a couple of them... plus the old tools if feeling historical.)

I haven't really seen any "anti-computer" people on here. The voices against are just pointing out the downsides of not doing proper planning. The convience of a computer is obviously worth it for the vast majority of vacation divers.

Assuming you don't have a cochran or something else failure prone, I think the failure argument, although a legitimate concern, is overrated. For me, it is not a cost issue. I use a vytec (not a cheap computer) as a depth gauge/ timer for its sampling and ability to reset the main timer display for tracking multi-level and deco. But, it has never been out of gauge mode.

Hey Pug,

Thanks for deflecting the technical sidetrack...now shall we have a little clean fun?

Uncle Pug:

Glad to see you like some modern electronics!
Got my first DGPS in 98, SA was still on, and I've never had a failure. My early 80s Lorans rarely failed also. One still rides around unused in my console box. But without one or the other you wouldn't find many wrecks in the Gulf of Mexico. On most, land is out-of-sight, and on good ones it's 25 to 100 nautical.
icosm07.gif

Uncle Pug:
BTW... on the second dive I forgot to take along my bottom timer/depth gauge. I still was able to call the depth and time of the stops... but then I dive more than 3 times a year.

You dive more than 3 times a year...and you still forgot to take along your bottom timer/depth gauge?
icon10.gif

Uncle Pug:
As for dive computers... I get more time underwater doing it my way.
04.gif

On many dives I'm sure that's true.
icon14.gif

On our typical day of 6 to 8 multi-level bounce dives, you wouldn't... but I'd love to watch you planning & altering them, over and over in an attempt to keep up.
icon_eek.gif
Did I mention you might be in 100' or maybe 200'?

Uncle Pug:
But then I dive more than 3 times a year.
So... yes, you need a computer

I agree...no wait, I need two computers minimum!
icon14.gif
icon14.gif

Chad

(I rarely use
tongue.gif
's, but did in spades this time... so please take no offense. Just having some fun!)

Chad Carney:
No tables required to purchase in many OW courses. SDI doesn't even have one in their price list. I found one online for $8. LP.com

But did it come with a warranty? :1poke:

Oops, didn't mean to thread jack. Back to the point.

I received my OW through SDI, and we focused on using a computer, although we did go over tables briefly. So much so, that when asked about purchasing dive gear, the instructor recommended buying a computer before anything else. I did learn tables eventually on my own.

Computer = not absolutely necessary, but really nice to have

Mike

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom