Do I shave it off?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've been diving for only 2 years and have always had either a full beard/moustache or goatee/moustache. I have only had a little leakage. I have been told to put a small amount of vasoline/petrolium jelly on your moustache and this helps. However you must clean your mask completly after your dive. Hope this helps. Butch

A full face mask is one solution... using vaseline is another. I've had facial hair for years, but don't let it get in my way. Just a little vaseline on your stach part will prevent 99% of that water from entering your mask. The rest can be taken care of by occasionally breathing out of your nose every once in a while. Soon, it'll be second nature and you won't even think about it.

Sea you in the Deep Blue!

I've always been told that vaseline, since it's petroleum derived, will ruin the mask skirt over time. And that KY Jelly would be a better choice. But you'd probably get some strange looks on the dive boat if you broke the KY and started applying it to your upper lip. :)

I also wear a mustache and I just keep the area right under my nose trimmed a little. That solves most of it, and what does leak is cleared without even thinking about it.

Hmmm.... I guess I am lucky. Over the years I have been diving with a beard, I currently have a goatee. I have never had mask-leaking problems. I might be that I kept my beard and now keep my goatee close-shaven meaning I use the #1-setting on my beard-trimmer when I trim it.

Warhammer, I've been told the same thing about Petroleum products and mask skirts, but have found through years of personal experence that it's just not fast enough to ruin the product. I still have masks that I purchased years ago, that haven't melted away on me. Perhaps it's because I wash my mask along with the rest of my gear after use... whatever the reason, Vaseline is the least expensive of all of the other products and therefore more cost effective to use. Unless that is you plan on using the same mask for 15-20 years...

Those of us of the manly facially endowed club are always looking to improve our skills...In fact,we are having a leg waxing session following by a pumice exfoliation afterwards;
why don't you join us? At least be with people that can grow a full beard and maybe that manliness will rub off... :cool:
I use a purge mask which helps me with leakage.
Keep the stache in the water is all I can say,
Cheers fellow hairy-faced ears,
The Gasman

Alright, you guys are too funny. I never expected to hear about KY and vaseline on this board! hee,hee. I'll try a little trim and some vaseline. I refuse to take KY on any dive boat - a bit strange.

Originally posted by Mario S Caner
Warhammer, I've been told the same thing about Petroleum products and mask skirts, but have found through years of personal experence that it's just not fast enough to ruin the product. I still have masks that I purchased years ago, that haven't melted away on me. Perhaps it's because I wash my mask along with the rest of my gear after use... whatever the reason, Vaseline is the least expensive of all of the other products and therefore more cost effective to use. Unless that is you plan on using the same mask for 15-20 years...

Thanks for passing that on to me, Mario. I had suspected as much, but haven't had a need to see for myself. I may try a dab of Vaseline this weekend and see what happens. I have a mask, Zeagle Ebon, that I really like and it seems to fit well. But it pours in water under the nose. So I've just been using my old trusty mask and the trim technique. I'll give the Zeagle another shot with this.

Back
Top Bottom