Do Not Know What To Do...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Erik Il Rosso:
I think I reached my comfort level and I will not go beyond taking the DM course...
This may be a communication problem. Do you mean to say that you decided not to take the dive master course yet? That's what everyone else is suggesting. Get some experience first and have fun.

I wouldnt tell them till after you take the Nitrox, you dont want any hard feelings during class. Like Boogie said you shouldnt even consider it. I've seen instr play mind games on people, telling them "Yeah you only have x #of dives but you are really comftarble in the water" or something to that affect. So im sure they will tell you the samething. Be ready and remember its you $$ and your diving, enjoy it.

Honestly speaking I'm not even sure whether you should finish the Rescue Diver course. Sorry to say but having only 18 dives how can you rescue somebody? Are you 100% sure that in all environment (such as sweet or salt water) you can for instance control your buyonce perfectly?
When I did my OWD - also in Sharm in fact, I was offered to do the AOW immediatly after. Then one of my friends told me - before you do Advance - get some expierience. Start diving, diving and again diving. And he was absolutly right. I can see the inceridble difference between my ability to dive when I had let's say 20 dives and when I had 60 - and this was the moment I did my AOWD. And I still feel like knowing absolutly nothing about diving.
So as boogie711 wrote - for this dive shop you are a walking cash machine
Simply go diving and enjoy yourself.
Mania

mania:
Honestly speaking I'm not even sure whether you should finish the Rescue Diver course. Sorry to say but having only 18 dives how can you rescue somebody?
I agree with all that has been said but not this, in fact I think this course should be mandatory for OW. I´ve always said that "non-diving" rescue-first aid courses should be mandatory for every high school student, more reasons if you´re in a risk activity. Don´t you agree.
DM is a whole different think.
Personally I took my DM course when I had around 50 dives, but not willing to get pro but just getting more knoledge and expirience for my personal diving.

A lot of good point here, just want to add - if you rush youself into one course after another, you will lost a lot of fun in diving and forget why you are in this in the first place. More over if you rush into leadership level then you will miss the chance in develop as a diver that has special interest in some kind of diving ( photo, wreck, video....)
After all you are doing dive for the fun of it right????

mania:
Honestly speaking I'm not even sure whether you should finish the Rescue Diver course. Sorry to say but having only 18 dives how can you rescue somebody?

You have a point, however, I think it would still be useful irrespective of skill level or experience to understand and know the basics of rescue (especially self rescue). As you improve your overall dive skills, the concepts learned in the rescue course do not change, but your application of them may improve.

Please do keep in mind the way the practice of promoting dive courses works. Yes, the dive store is interested in selling courses, every store sells something. The upside to having people continue on in their training is that it keeps them in the water, keeps them learning, and progressing as a diver.
You did mention that you wanted to prove to the store that you were not just a casual diver. They appear to have seen that, and are encouraging you to continue to do so. Is that supposed to be a bad thing? Remember, most new divers never dive again beyond 16 months after their OW certification date.

For most recreationally-focused shops having someone become a divemaster is the natural progression of courses after AOW. Some people are ready to START that training with less dives than others - each person should be assessed individually. No one gets to finish the DM course with less than 60 dives (for PADI, anyway) and for the average diver that is ALOT of diving, while for others it's half a season or less. I doubt what the owner is saying is that you are ready to BE a divemaster after 18 dives, but ready to LEARN to be a divemaster.

In their way, the dive store owner is trying to encourage you, it's what they do, hopefully to the benefit of both you and him. If it only benefits him then you will be a disgruntled customer and leave.

Just playing devil's advocate folks. We need to keep both sides of an issue in sight at all times.

warren_l:
You have a point, however, I think it would still be useful irrespective of skill level or experience to understand and know the basics of rescue (especially self rescue). As you improve your overall dive skills, the concepts learned in the rescue course do not change, but your application of them may improve.

You are right, it's good to have at least some of the skills from Rescue course. And let's make it sure what kind of Rescue we are talking about. Whether the SSI Stress&Rescue (which is advised right after th OW) or PADI Rescue Diver? As I understand stress&rescue teaches you basic behaviour in case of emergency while Rescue Diver teaches you to rescue others. I simply can't imagine a person with 18 dives being capable of doing a controlled ascent with an unconsious diver (as I think we will all agree - such persons for almost 100% has byuoancy problems so can he controll his and the rescued diver byuoancy to make the proper ascend?), then carry this diver on the surface to the boat or the shore with all the procedures taking place - doing CPR, undresing the diver at the same time etc.
When I was doing OWD and then AOW i had to learn the basic rescue skills. But I'm still not sure if I could rescue others and I do have more than 18 dives.
Mania

You also need 20 dives to complete Rescue Diver....I know this because I am signed up for the next class here and I only have 11 dives. Even including the dives for class I won't be able to get my cert until I get to 20 dives. But do I feel like I could rescue someone?? Well, they would have a better chance at survival if I did something rather then nothing eh?

mania:
You are right, it's good to have at least some of the skills from Rescue course. And let's make it sure what kind of Rescue we are talking about. Whether the SSI Stress&Rescue (which is advised right after th OW) or PADI Rescue Diver? As I understand stress&rescue teaches you basic behaviour in case of emergency while Rescue Diver teaches you to rescue others.

PADI rescue diver trains you for both self rescue and diver rescue. But it also trains you to spot potential problems and to help prevent them.

Back
Top Bottom