Votes: 23 14.6%
  • Seldom

Votes: 32 20.4%
  • Never

Votes: 60 38.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

learn-scuba once bubbled...
I always have my snorkel on my mask for several reasons.

The drag argument is just plain funny. it can not possibly be a serious argument, can it?

Actually, while that may seem silly to you salty big ocean divers.. It's not uncommon to dive with 2-3+ knot currents in the old lock systems up here. Try turning your head to the side in these conditions and best case you can hope for is a flooded mask, worst case your mask gets ripped completly off your face and coasts down the lock. An unfun/expensive experience overall :D

DrownedRat once bubbled...

Actually, while that may seem silly to you salty big ocean divers.. It's not uncommon to dive with 2-3+ knot currents in the old lock systems up here. Try turning your head to the side in these conditions and best case you can hope for is a flooded mask, worst case your mask gets ripped completly off your face and coasts down the lock. An unfun/expensive experience overall :D

DrownedRat --

I'll accept that... but is it the rule or the exception? What percentage of divers who aren't wearing snorkels are diving those locks?

Etype - That was a funny write! Thanks for posting something that was fun to read! :)

Personally, I'm not a snorkel fan. I dropped it for shore dives around here mainly because vis is low the first hundred yards or so and there isnt anything more to see than the bait fish jumping around you. So I leave it on shore for my teething son to gnaw on :)

Other places, I tuck it away folded up nice.. if I need it, its there.

drowned rat: i imagine swimming locks (you mean the Rideau canal?) would be difficult...especially as you run across numerous corpses of parlimentarains, trussed in leather and chains, like unwanted kittens, who prolonged one filibuster too many...and dealt with Jean’s valentine operatives...but then there are worse deaths...and it could be said they asked for it...everyone but them knew the appointed ethics commisionner is a moonlighter, his regular gig is as a reptillian alien bodysnatcher for the trilateral commission, or freemasons..have they not heard of the internet? It’s all there. But no snorkel could save you in that graveyard.

Cbulla: glad you liked it. Bit of a wordsplosion...i usually read scubaboard after supper while i have an urn of espresso. Third cup one starts to blast away...it can’t help playing wagner either . Scubaboard begins to seem a mythical world of valiant hero’s slaying dragons, longhaired vixens in gilded vavavoom breastplates, gnomes, evil pixies,coy virgins, golden chalices, learned snakes and magical horses.
But i think you do your son well. The snorkel as teether is another example of versatility. Teach them well.

Bermudaskink: i liked your original photo of you submerged, flashing the double occult symbols of unleashed two-headed demondogs. It seems every commonwealth country has a sweetheart hitsquad...(very informative, the internet)...God Save Eileen. Love your new photo...can’t recall what macabre symbology the star over the eye suggests....but i detect a snorkel present... so you have a license to kill...apparently...and trained to use it. But i warn you not to try anything cute ... we’re hardmen on this board...trained, inassailable...your Taekwondo like tossed corsages....men such as Seajay, Learn-Scuba,myself and select others, would make a short work of you.
The bit about the 6’ gardenhose snorkel, the guillotine with bleeding and unhappy face, beneath a happier one, ... advice that one may dive naked in warm soothing water....very cryptic, i presage a irresistible siren...luring jaded submariners onto luscious rocks...your sorceress-ery would be little but amusing underwater hocus-pocus to the breed of sailor one finds on these boards...but what did you mean anyway?

My 6 ft hosepipe post was in reference to

http://www.scubaboard.com/t35083/s.html

Just taking the piss out of myself :)

The starfish liked me .... what can I say?

:turtle:

And yeah, I do use a snorkle most of the time. Being an instructor you gotsta set a good example an all. Sometimes though when I don't care whose looking and there is no surface swim involved I pull it off and tuck it somewhere else. :)

OMG! That sounds so rude!! :eek:utahere:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom