Votes: 23 14.6%
  • Seldom

Votes: 32 20.4%
  • Never

Votes: 60 38.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sorry, make that 65%. And maybe NAUI and PADI should consider qualifying the use of snorkels in their Open Water Scuba classes.

I don't for the same reasons ElectricZombie doesn't, too much of a drag, literally, with the mask and all. Not to mention the pull it has on the mask.

Plus with my redundant pony bottle, little need.

But I couldn't argue that they may come in handy if you're stuck with a surface swim in the event of.......

Not since my 3rd OW dive....

If you can suck 13% off a tank on the surface before you decend you really need to work on slowing the breathing down AND get bigger tanks

The other day a friend of mine helped out in a pool session for an open water class. It was a PADI class. She and I recently did a DIR-F class and decided to switch to long hoses.

So she's there helping with this class and the instuctor (who is a great instructor, by the way) says, no, she doesn't mind if she uses the long hose in the class... but she does have to wear a snorkel, per agency requirements.

Long hose okay, but absolutely no going snorkel-less.

So there she is, holding on to students while they are doing a reg ditch and recovery and wondering how the hell she would actually deploy her hose past the stupid snorkel if she needed to. I don't think she would really need to in 4 feet of water anyway, but still...

I help with classes too, sometimes. So I have to figure out what I'm going to do about it. But I'm not really asking for advice, per se. I'm not saying anything, really. I haven't got any big point or anything. I'm just flabbergasted at the sheer inanity of it all and had to say something.

Oh, and no, I don't use a snorkel either.

Evans once bubbled...

So she's there helping with this class and the instuctor (who is a great instructor, by the way) says, no, she doesn't mind if she uses the long hose in the class... but she does have to wear a snorkel, per agency requirements.

Long hose okay, but absolutely no going snorkel-less.

To my knowledge Padi doesn't specify where the snorkel has to be...just that the diver has to have one...that's what thigh pockets are for :D

bwerb once bubbled...

To my knowledge Padi doesn't specify where the snorkel has to be...just that the diver has to have one...that's what thigh pockets are for :D

Never mind PADI what do the DIR people have to say about this?

As for me I wear a snorkel only when I have to, in other words on training dives with students. (rules are rules)
I do a lot of current dives and I do not need any extra drag, not to mention getting snagged on someones fishing line.:wacko:

I do mostly beach dives, for a long surface swim, it's great. (Hey, I like to make sure nothing is following me. :D You never know!)

I still take it on boats, habit, plus; I figure better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it. Thus far, I have had no entanglment problems diving with one.

Used one on my first few dives after being certified but have not used one since...or my wife. She gave it up also.

Back
Top Bottom