Does scuba diving ever freak you out?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think that your comfort zone lies within how much attention you pay to training. Apart from the obvious problems with bad Instructors etc, i think the more you are logically prepared to learn, the better and more confident diver you will become. I am doing my AOW this month and am currently reading my OW manual again to theoretically refresh basic proceedures and skills which i learned on my last cert. I am a bit axious about my Night & Deep dive but i feel a little more comfortable that i am refreshing my knowledge.

OTOH, if an incident occurs, how i'll react when i'm down there is a totally different story!

Scotty

What freaks me out is the big blue. You can not see the surface, the bottom and nothing around you........ that freaks the sh.. out of me. I have no issue being in a cage with great whites, in caves, wrecks upside down..... but the big blue... Brrrrrrrrr

Know what, Bookymad? There are several obvious intelligent divers who post here. That TS&M girl/guy always has something intelligent to write and Spectrum is another that always seems to make interesting, relevant, and intelligent comments. There are others but those two come to mind.
Like you, I am very much a new diver. I got certified in June, 2006 and have completed around 50 dives so far, all but about 10 in the carribean. A few weeks back, I was on a live-aboard cruise. Everyone there was a seasoned experienced diver, well everyone but me. I soon met several very nice people who were excellent dive buddies and enjoyed the whole trip immensely.
I did many things that were a first for me, dives that were beyond my training and kinda scary. I did a couple of night dives, a couple of drift dives and a few deep dives. I was very apprehensive about the night dives. The current was almost always present, and the thought of being in the dark with current pushing me somewhere away from the boat was something I was very concerned about.
But, after everyone telling me how night dives are great dives and how everything is different at night, I decided I just have to try it. So, I decided I am going down the mooring line and staying in a tight 10-20 foot circle around the line. But after I was down, I got more and more comfortable and ended up swimming along with two great guys I trusted as good divers and enjoyed the dives tremendously. And after the first 5-10 minutes, all apprehension disappeared.
The drift dives were incredible, just hang with the group and watch the scenery as you float by. Although, I may not want to do a drift time every dive, I sure would like to do a drift dive on a regular basis.
As for deep dives....well, frankly, I have not seen anything at 95 feet that I havent seen at 40-50 feet. Just as you stated, Bookymad, 50 feet of water over your head is a lot of water and like you, I discovered I cant breath water too well.
But again, I trusted and felt comfortable with my dive buddies. I went down to 95 and 100 feet because the reef was there and we all enjoyed seeing that eel stick his head out or to look for those lobsters hiding in the nooks and crannies of the reef.
Still, I would much prefer a shallow dive, I can stay down longer, feel safer and see almost everything I can see at a deeper depth.
As for your fears. I will readily admit that I became a certified diver because I wanted to see brightly colored fish, the magic of reefs and all the splendor under water offers. My OW course was a nightmare though and I wondered what was I thinking in deciding to do this. I aint no spring chicken and swimming those 12 laps and then treading water for 15 minutes on the first night had me close to checking out on day 1.
The open water check out dives were no fun. Do this, do that, flood your mask, flood it again. I hated it and if that is what diving is, I would quit.
But after my final checkout dive. I dove with a friend who is an experienced diver and all I had to do was pay attention to him and follow him around as he tried to point out all the things I became certified to see. When we got up, I was amazed to discover that was the best dive I ever had. And really, it was a nothing dive, we just explored some old wreck off Panama City, FL, the Black Bart.
Bookymad, if you wanted to dive for the same reasons I did, because you want to see beauty beyond what you can find on any sidewalk, then suffer through the OW course. Do as well as you can, pay attention as hard as you can and realize that the better trained you are, the safer you are going to feel.
Take your first 25-50 dives and work on buoyancy, trim, knowing how to do proper ascents and safety stops. Become comfortable and soon you will find yourself paying more attention to the scenery then to the sound of your bubbles as you concentrate on whether you are breathing right or not.
Diving is great. Get Clay Coleman's book, The Certified Diver's Handbook. Live life, dont just live.

Yes Scuba diving is dangerous, we are entering a world that we can not do with out life support equipment. Therefore it makes it dangerous. But as other people post, you plan your dive, dive your plan, and stay within your limits. You do not let other people push, because if they push you outside of your limits, thats when something goes wrong, and you don't know how to fix it. I have been seperated from my buddy, i took a deep breath and said well I will continue on my dive keeping an eye out for him, and within 2 minutes if I havent found him I will surface. Usually after about 30 sec here he comes. When you start panicing is with minor issues flair up and become majoy issues. Just remember if you are within your limits those minor issues, will just be little pain in the asses but you can over come them, and the learn from them. Yes, many of the dives I have been on just consisted of me "in awe" of the reef or wreck, where I've had some where my tank is falling out of BCD, or I'm not properly weighted, I just go over to my buddy and show him the problem, and if it can't be fixed u/w we surface. As TsandM stated, they knew they had plenty of air, and knew the protocol of what to do. So therefore you excute the protocol that the training stated. That is why you go through the training

Practice the pool skills. Mentally rehearse scenarios that might happen in the wild. And continue your training (from one newbie to another).

One thing that slips into my mind when I'm down is that it is such an odd place to be. I look up at the surface (note, your reg will breath really hard if you face the surface - expect it!) and think, when did a bunch of apes decide that breathing compressed air 10 fathoms down was a great thing to do? (Which it is.)

Of course when I'm topside, I'll think how neat it would be if everything would flood Waterworld style so I could swim down mainstreet, float around the huge atrium at the library, or inside a sports arena. But then where would I go to get tanks filled...

I am in the same spot as you, brand new working on getting certified. This might seem a little weird, but I find that the more I learn about the worst possible scenarios, the less they freak me out. I think that goes along with what Scubaguy62 said about the biggest problem being fear of the unknown. I am reading Diver Down right now which pretty much analyzes a ton of worst cases, and more important, gives you survival techniques that may have helped change the outcome. Very interesting reading and reassuring to know that there are things you can do even in the worst of situations to affect the outcome.

I've been in a few hairy situations underwater, and it's an odd experience. The ones that scared me the most were the ones that were completely benign. A large fish popped out of the low vis once, directly in front of me, with it's mouth wide open, and it scared me to the point that I covered my eyes and curled in the fetal position, just before I almost drowned laughing. There might be some truth to the stereotype that freshwater divers are afraid of fish. :D

In the other situations were there was actually some danger, it was a completely different feeling- it was not scary- I knew what to do, and I did it quickly, almost as if there was no time to be afraid. I just reacted to the problem and corrected it.

Then, there are times at the surface, where I could talk myself out of diving because of something small, like forgetting to take a reel on a wreck dive. Obviously, I'm not very convincing.

Training and experience help mitigate the risk, but in the end, you have to be comfortable with the risk that you assume. Every has their own comfort limits.

I am newly certified as well. My best friend is a very avid diver and he made it all sound so awesome (and it is!). I did Discover Scuba about a year ago and it was cool, but somewhat scary and I didn't like it much at all. So going into my OW class, I was apprehensive that I wouldn't like it. However, the complete opposite was true. I did the class privately with an incredible instructor who put me completely at ease. Everything in the pool came so naturally. Mask clearing, no problem! Like I'd been doing it for years. The first OW dive was in a smallish lake and went fine. The rest of the OW dives were in the ocean and I did feel a bit of apprehension first descending down the line, but as I kept going and kept breathing, it dissapeared. I realized the best thing to do was to keep calm. Exploring a wreck, I did get tangled on something, and I calmly untangled myself. No panic. I agree that the more I read magazines and on here about accidents, the less freaked I am. I want to know what to do in an emergency situation. Now I just want to continue diving and working on my skills and bouyancy.

I don't think it's a very dangerous activity at all.

Not saying you can't make it dangerous... alot of people on this forum go above and beyond what the average recreational diver will do. When it comes to depth, wrecks, caves, etc. you're getting into the technical realm and that's when things can get a bit sticky. That's also when you start hearing people talk about the redundancy in their gear, the extra air they take down with them, etc. and reading their posts can be kind of intimidating when you only dive a single tank in OW... but you have to keep in mind what they're doing compared to what you're doing.

At shallower depths (less than 100 feet) in open water... if you take your time to practice your skills (bouyancy being one of the harder ones probably), take your time, stay within your limits, and stick with a buddy you are confident with... then it's just as safe as driving to the dive site.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom