Does scuba diving ever freak you out?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I hope bookymad is reading all of this and realizing that thousands of other mere mortals have faced the same concerns and coped with them.

And to all of the lurkers that bookymad has spoken for, you can do it to!

Pete

Ok, ok, ok, ok!!!!!!!! I get the point. It's not any more or any less dangerous compared to any other activities, it's all dependent on yourself and how you choose to mitigate the risks through experience, knowledge, and practice.

I get that.

It was the accident forum that freaked me out, hence my utterly useless post on this topic. There was one that really had me freaked out, though apologies I can't seem to find it. It was of this lady who was a really EXPERIENCED diver, and she died. I mean, this lady was really well known, I think part of UCSD, and so on. I know this is so out of context and it's unfair that I'm not posting that particular posting, I really can't find it. Like someone said here, accidents are really rehashed quite a bit, really, no kidding!

One of the most troublesome aspect of the OOA postings that I find is that, these are experienced people who are extremely comfortable with scuba diving, to the point that they sort of seem to take it for granted in terms of being separated from their buddies for whatever reason. Of course, Murphy's law being what it is, is usually when something hits them most often.

I hate the postings where people say that they had to do CESA. I hate CESA, but if you're separated from your buddy, and you don't have a pony tank, then really what option do you have (and it's even more limited when you're really down deep!)? How can people do it? I can't. I mean, I hope I can, should such situation ever arises, but, golly gumdrops, I hate it with a passion!

Sorry, sort of ranting all over the place. Anyway, methinks I'll avoid accident forum for a while. It really disturbed me!!!!!!

You know what though? What puzzles me is that, how can people choose to deliberately put themselves in situations that are way over their heads? Or when I read that people are hoping to pull other people into scuba diving and being their buddy as soon they're certified when they're barely out of the OW course themselves!

I wouldn't even scuba dive with my brother unless he takes refresher course again (not likely), and practices some of the drills. And this is only after I've gained quite a bit of diving under my belt. I would NOT be comfortable being his buddy till then. I read all those postings by family members who are buddies to each other, and they're both beginners. Doesn't that freak you out a bit? These are people who are just starting out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Never mind, I'm just one of those types who can out-depress Grumpy (the dwarf).

But, thanks for your replies to my useless posting. You're right, the more experience you gain, the more your comfort zone expands.

Btw, what does OSM stand for? Really, you guys need to set up an abbreviation posting so people can figure out what stands for what. Took me forever to figure out what OOA and LDS stood for...but then again, I tend to be one of those people who's slow on the uptake. Sighsssssssssss. Unless there is one around here and I missed it. Bah humbug.

Scuba diving is my happening baby and it totally freaks me out....YEAH, Baby, Yeah.

What me worry? Driving not diving is much bigger risk. Just watch the evening news.

booky,

what got you into diving?

took me 2 years before i did my OW cert, i was always envious of seeing divers and wondering what the adventure is really like. even as a kid i found myself very fond of the sea. thankfully my OW instructor was a good one, even before we started (there were 6 of us in the class) he kept on reiterating that he will mess us up during the pool sessions. the reason being he would demand that skills be second nature to us, he wanted us to be sure of ourselves if and when an emergency arises.

he always reiterated that diving involves risks and full commitment to training...in short he showed us the real deal. by the end of the course i was the only one remaining. true enough i experienced my first out of air scenario on my first dive out of OW. training kicked in and nothing untoward happened. these days i dive mostly with the ppd guys, they're crazy if you'll notice the postings here in SB but i'd swear they are such a very competent bunch...very good divers all.

lastly, i think fear is good. it keeps you alert. take it easy and don't think so much. concentrate on your training, you can do it.

dive safe and good luck on the cert! :wink:

edit: no it does not freak me out...unless i come face to face with a megalodon or a very hungry great white :D

bookymad,

No need to apoligize for venting.

I know what you mean about the accident forum. there was one about a year ago that was so bizarre that is made me think holly crap that was a minor detail that did her in. This was a technical dive, somethng I don't see myself doing even in the future but I understood what happened and it literally rattled me. I ended up PMing another member just to vent.

So you went and visited and had you eyes opened to what can happen, note I did not say will or even is liekly to happen. All of your sensibilities sound good. Stay in your comfort zone. Most of my shore dives have average depths of around 20 feet and it's odd to find water deeper than 40 feet around here. They are nice long comfortable dives without going to great depths.

Nothing wrong with a pony. I have buddies who always dive with one. Now they also do deep dives and keep it for the sake of consistency. Around here many boat dives to moderate depths require a pony or doubles with an isolator manifold. With limited visibility buddy seperation is more likely.

I learned something growing up that I shared with my daughters and I'll share it here. I hope I'm not being to paternalistic. When I was in elementary school those JR high kids seemed so smart and mature and the work seemed so hard. As I went through the grades I kept having the same observation and as I reached the grades they were no big deal. My point is to dive in your "now" when it's time for the future you will be more experienced and in this sport you get to decide when you increase the intensity. The nice light, plants, mild water and long dives are all in the shallower waters anyhow. Deeper water offers some atractions and features to be sure but you can spend a lifetime being enriched in the shallows. Enjoy your now.

Have you rescheduled your check-out dives?

Pete

Here is my take: it's like skydiving, if you aren't at least a little aprehensive, you may want to consider a different hobby. A bit of nerves heightens your awareness keeping you a little more in tune with your surroundings. That said, don't be afraid to die everytime you get into the water, just be aware that you are in a foreign environment with dangerous aspects.

Booky,

The two types of dive you'll remember forever are those where everything went right and those where everything went wrong. The so-so divers are fun at the time, and good self-training. The GREAT dives are effectively a religious experience. I've also had my share, or more than my share, of really bad dives when you count all the working dives I've done. When all turns brown the easy thing to remember is that it's a lot more work to panic and drown than to just solve the problem. Take the easy way out and deal with what is there.

My instructor told me something a long time ago that still works for me. When the world tuns brown think the word panic, and you won't. That single word is enough to remind you that panic is the short road to a FTF meeting with the Supreme Being. Then you can get over all that and solve the problem.

I have seen many "uncertain" people learn to dive over the decades. Whether they stuck with it or not after certification they ALL came out the other side as better and more confidant people. It is not possible to learn to dive without building a significant amount of self-confidence along the way. There are even 3 or 4 women who come to mind that ended up divorcing over-controlling husbands as a result of the confidence boost.

FT

Fred, that observation about thinking the word "panic" is profound. The day I got disoriented on the wrong side of a wall, it was recognizing where I was headed that got the whole process stopped. Maybe it's because you have to be at least a little rational to recognize the panic train coming head-first for you. I don't know. But I'll pass that tip along.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom