Does the new Apex low profile valve leak

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

String:
Correct im the same person. Found lurking on various scuba and welsh rugby message forums as ive got nothing better to do :)

Ive decided to give my shoulder dump one last chance - looking to buy a support bandage that i can put over my upper arm just in case its the undersuit preventing it from dumping.

Si-Tech valves are meant to be far quicker and more effective dumping thatn Apex valves, especially Apex low profiles. Im reluctant to spend £40 to test one in case it still doesnt solve my problem though.

hi String
I exchanged my leaking apex low profile valve for the Apex high-profile valve and it works just fine !
They will exchange it free of charge but unfortunately I'm unable to find their Web address !
If anyone has it I would be grateful !
Steve

torbaydiver:
A friend of mine tried his new dry suit today and got totally soaked (made to measure) !
I noticed it has the apex low profile valve(I think it's the new design) I know the old type leaked when left fully open but does the new version do the same?
We inflated the suit on the beach after blocking the holes and didn't notice any obvious leaks!
I said if it's the valve you would probably just get a wet arm, but his boxer shorts and T-shirt were soaked!
I also suggested that perhaps the latex seals weren't completely flat on his skin!
Not a happy chappie!
Any suggestions welcome
thanks/Steve

Just took my brand new TLS350 with the Apeks low profile exhaust valve for its first ocean dive on Saturday and got a CONSTANT stream of 50 degree water coming in the exhaust valve from practically the second I went under. Got about 100 yards from shore, slowly closing the valve a couple of clicks at a time until I just couldn't stand it anymore and called the dive. My two buddies stayed out to try and find a lost weight pouch one had accidentally dropped as I surface swam back. By the time I got out of the water, my legs were so cold I had trouble bending them to get my fins off.

I walked back to the car and dropped off my gear and found that the dry suit does make and excellent (if somewhat expensive) windbreaker :wink: - as I walked around, I could feel the water draining into the lowest points - my ankles and wrists. When my buddies came out of the water, I showed them how much water I was talking about by pulling loose my left wrist seal - about a cup of water drained out!

When I doffed the suit, my fleece undergarment was saturated to mid-calf on both legs and the neoprene socks had about a cup of water in each one - the fleece booties I was wearing underneath were completely saturated. I'd guess I had at least a quart or two of water in the suit total. NOT exactly what I would expect from a brand new "dry" suit.

It's going back to my LDS today to check to see if the exhaust valve fitting is loose and if not, back it goes to DUI for a valve replacement, probably for a SiTech valve. Why they're even still using the Apeks valves when they KNOW they have an ongoing problem with them, I can't even begin to understand...

Even with their good customer service in replacing defective valves, it still means that I'm out the suit for a couple of weeks while it's sent across the country, the valve is replaced and it's sent back...which ticks me off. It's a custom suit and I spent a LOT of money on this...they should be using high quality parts that work correctly to begin with!!!

bilmey this is an old thread april 04 !
can confirm the apex high profile won't leak,over a 100 dives dry now !
God knows why there still using leaking low profiles,ask you dive shop if they can lend you one while you return it to apex for a high profile ,there very easy to remove and refit (20 seconds ,just unsrew).
My mate gave up diving after his leaking suit !

SadiesMom:
Just took my brand new TLS350 with the Apeks low profile exhaust valve for its first ocean dive on Saturday and got a CONSTANT stream of 50 degree water coming in the exhaust valve from practically the second I went under. Got about 100 yards from shore, slowly closing the valve a couple of clicks at a time until I just couldn't stand it anymore and called the dive. My two buddies stayed out to try and find a lost weight pouch one had accidentally dropped as I surface swam back. By the time I got out of the water, my legs were so cold I had trouble bending them to get my fins off.

I walked back to the car and dropped off my gear and found that the dry suit does make and excellent (if somewhat expensive) windbreaker :wink: - as I walked around, I could feel the water draining into the lowest points - my ankles and wrists. When my buddies came out of the water, I showed them how much water I was talking about by pulling loose my left wrist seal - about a cup of water drained out!

When I doffed the suit, my fleece undergarment was saturated to mid-calf on both legs and the neoprene socks had about a cup of water in each one - the fleece booties I was wearing underneath were completely saturated. I'd guess I had at least a quart or two of water in the suit total. NOT exactly what I would expect from a brand new "dry" suit.

It's going back to my LDS today to check to see if the exhaust valve fitting is loose and if not, back it goes to DUI for a valve replacement, probably for a SiTech valve. Why they're even still using the Apeks valves when they KNOW they have an ongoing problem with them, I can't even begin to understand...

Even with their good customer service in replacing defective valves, it still means that I'm out the suit for a couple of weeks while it's sent across the country, the valve is replaced and it's sent back...which ticks me off. It's a custom suit and I spent a LOT of money on this...they should be using high quality parts that work correctly to begin with!!!

SadiesMom:

It does boggle the mind that after 4 years of complaining they refuse to give in and change the valve completely. I just don't understand why they won't admit they have a quality control issue and stop using the low profile valve until it works for real. How many generations will it take to get the "new" valve for crying out loud? I had the same issue with two new suits just under two years ago. I will say that my "newer generation" valves now dump faster and are not as leaky. Mistakes happen but a mistake in this sport can lead to a death.

I called DUI BEFORE I bought two tls350's and expressed my concerns over the valve issues I had read about and was warned about by other divers and was told my NEW dry suits would have the newer generation valves and when they sent them to me we didn't get the newer ones and the ones we were given leaked and dumped slowly to the point of being dangerous. Shame on them! Shame on them for lying (knowingly or not) and shame on them for allowing faulty and expensive dive gear to leave the door. When a regulator manufacturer makes a faulty reg it recalls it. Why didn't DUI do this? Sure, they will fix it AFTER they send it to you but only if you ask them to. Again, I rarely write scathing posts but this issue irritates me to no end.

No excuses can be made for dive gear that can kill. Extreme? Maybe. But true.

Hmmm, my TLS350, which I love does seem to leak which I have yet to figure out why. I am wondering now if it is the valve. I am not soaked but I still get wet on the outside of my garments everytime I dive. I bought the suit back in March of this year (got it at the beginning of May as it was a custom suit).

darylm74:
Hmmm, my TLS350, which I love does seem to leak which I have yet to figure out why. I am wondering now if it is the valve. I am not soaked but I still get wet on the outside of my garments everytime I dive. I bought the suit back in March of this year (got it at the beginning of May as it was a custom suit).

I still get a little wet too but am not soaked like before the valve change. I believe that the water I am now getting is simply the sweat being wicked up to the surface of my undies. A surprising amount of sweat/persperation can gather, even on a cool day, so make sure that isn't the source first. I think if you can wring out the water it's too much. If you can shake it off then maybe it's simply sweat. Also, take a look at WHERE the water is gathered. If it's mostly at your left arm and down your left side then it's the valve. Try to click it back twice on the next dive and see what happens. Also, make sure your undies aren't getting caught in the valve from the inside. One other thing, I have noticed more moisture gathered on my fleece than on other materials. Maybe it's just me?

You perhaps already know about these things but I just thought I would mention them for others as well. Troubleshoot first. Good luck!

torbaydiver:
bilmey this is an old thread april 04 !
can confirm the apex high profile won't leak,over a 100 dives dry now !
God knows why there still using leaking low profiles,ask you dive shop if they can lend you one while you return it to apex for a high profile ,there very easy to remove and refit (20 seconds ,just unsrew).
My mate gave up diving after his leaking suit !

I know I dragged up your (very old) thread, but it seemed more apro pos to drag it up than to start a new one. I opted to send the whole suit back, since it not only had the issue of the leaking exhaust valve, but they for some reasons never put the knee pads on it that should've been on it...(although they were marked on the order form and were *supposed* to come with the Signature Series suit!). I figured that I might as well get both issues solved at the same time.

I've e-mailed Jackie (the North American Customer Service rep) to tell her that I want the SiTech valve or the older valve and told her that it was their choice as long as they could GUARANTEE that the valve they gave me was one that would RELIABLY give me consistently dry dives when dived in the open position - and was NOT an Apeks valve. I also told her that I wasn't currently a happy customer and couldn't see why a company with such a reputation would let that suit out the door that wasn't functional or as ordered and that it didn't speak well to their Quality Control....and that I hoped their Customer Service was as good as people say it is....

Jeez...I mean, hey...I spent a LOT of money on that suit - it SHOULD'VE been right BEFORE it was sent to me.

SadiesMom:
Jeez...I mean, hey...I spent a LOT of money on that suit - it SHOULD'VE been right BEFORE it was sent to me.

Good luck Mother of Sadie. :05: I'm sure they will resolve the issue even if it should never happen in the first place. These are the problems people don't get told about before going dry. :1poke:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom