Doing my Enriched Air course next... any suggestions on a personal analyser?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you're the DIY type, Oxycheq sells the Expedition as a kit.

Is that same as the one they call the El Cheapo? I bought one for a hundred bucks and put it together in an evening in about two hours. That was a couple of years ago, and the sensor and everything is still going like the day I built it. And I don't refrigerate or bag it or anything, just toss it in my box between dives.

Analox is a fine product and they take care of their customers. Very east to use and you can replace your own sensors if needed as well as batteries are a breeze. Had mine 6 years or so

Before dropping the cash on it, I would suggest finish the course and then do an appraisal of how much you will diving with nitrox. It is a nice thing to have but honestly it was one of the last things I bought.

I agree, Wait a while, till you work out how much you will dive nitrox. There is no pressing reason to rush out and purchase an analyser. They arn't cheap.

Similar to a new diver, it's not recommended a newly qualified diver rush out and purchase a set of gear. Wait 6 months or more to see if you will dive on a regular basis.

I recently got my Nitrox ticket. It's unlikely I will ever purchase my own analyser.

I agree, Wait a while, till you work out how much you will dive nitrox. There is no pressing reason to rush out and purchase an analyser. They arn't cheap.

Similar to a new diver, it's not recommended a newly qualified diver rush out and purchase a set of gear. Wait 6 months or more to see if you will dive on a regular basis.

I recently got my Nitrox ticket. It's unlikely I will ever purchase my own analyser.
Hi All,

I just took the Nitrox class about a week ago and am traveling to Cozumel at the end of the month and plan to dive nitrox the entire 5 days of diving. I have to say that after the class we we under the impression that we should immediately go out and purchase an analyzer and computer.

I can see wisdom in purchasing an analyzer right away because ultimately I am responsible for my own safety.

Since we live in the middle of the desert all of the diving we do is on our vacations and often times we meet at the boat and our air is already there. In the case of nitrox we all know there are maximum depths associated with the various mixes and there can be grave consequences for diving with the wrong mix.

Personally, I want to analyze each tank, I'm not willing to make the assumption that the tank wasn't improperly labeled or that the tank was meant for another diver. I think everyone would agree with that so the question is then; Has everyone found that if nitrox is on the boat that for the most part the boat will have an analyzer available?

I would be relieved if I didn't have to shell out $250+ for an analyzer, but I would also hate to get out to the boat and have to make the assumption that nobody made a mistake with my tank.

Last edited:
Personally, I want to analyze each tank, I'm not willing to make the assumption that the tank wasn't improperly labeled or that the tank was meant for another diver. I think everyone would agree with that so the question is then; Has everyone found that if nitrox is on the boat that for the most part the boat will have an analyzer available?

Since we live in the middle of the desert all of the diving we do is on our vacations and often times we meet at the boat and our air is already there.

I would be relieved if I didn't have to shell out $250+ for an analyzer, but I would also hate to get out to the boat and have to make the assumption that nobody made a mistake with my tank.

Interesting.... What organisation did you do your nitrox course with?
I did mine with PADI. That course was VERY explicit in saying that If you didn't PERSONALLY varify the analysis of the oxygen content and sign off to that fact, as well as mark the tank with your name, (and 02 %) DO NOT except the tank. PERIOD. The filler is required to analyse the blend in front of you, or allow you to use their analyser.

I'd be choosing a different dive company, if I were you.

Look, I have no issue with someone wishing to purchase an analyser, it's their money, but the way I see it, you still have no guarantee that your analyser is more accurate than the one the filler uses.
If I were diving Nitrox on a regular basis, I'd probably consider purchasing an analyser.

Interesting.... What organisation did you do your nitrox course with?
I did mine with PADI. That course was VERY explicit in saying that If you didn't PERSONALLY varify the analysis of the oxygen content and sign off to that fact, as well as mark the tank with your name, (and 02 %) DO NOT except the tank. PERIOD. The filler is required to analyse the blend in front of you, or allow you to use their analyser.

I'd be choosing a different dive company, if I were you.

Look, I have no issue with someone wishing to purchase an analyser, it's their money, but the way I see it, you still have no guarantee that your analyser is more accurate than the one the filler uses.
If I were diving Nitrox on a regular basis, I'd probably consider purchasing an analyser.
I did my with PADI as well.

The importance of checking your own tanks and signing off was stressed, therefore my question was; Do most of the divers on this forum find that shop will have an analyzer available on the boat or are you just to assume (dangerous word) that everything is OK.

I don't regularly dive with a LDS, there is nowhere to dive in Phoenix, AZ, so, we travel 3 to 4 times a year, we've been twice to Mexico this year an are going back to Cozumel at the end of the month, when we dove there last time we never went to the shop (after initially showing C cards), we were picked up every day at the pier of the hotel we were staying with our tanks already on the boat, I suspect this will be the case again....so, if you don't have your own analyzer how can you be sure that you will always be able to confirm the contents of the tank?

Many times such as when we went to Costa Rica, Bahamas, Tahiti we had never dove with the shop there and would have no idea as to whether we would have an analyzer available or not. Would you dive without being able to confirm the contents? I suppose it doesn't matter so much that you have your own analyzer, it just matters that you can verify tank contents, correct? What is the best way to insure that? I suppose if you know who you will be diving with an option would be to call ahead and inquire, as long as they speak the same language.

I'm not arguing for or against having a personal analyzer, just trying to figure out if I don't purchase one how I will be able to verify the contents of my tanks?

I'm not arguing for or against having a personal analyzer, just trying to figure out if I don't purchase one how I will be able to verify the contents of my tanks?

The dive company is required to test the mix in front of you. You then have the right to refuse the fill if it is more than 1% (from memory) from what was offered to you. If the tanks are already on the boat, and that boat doesn't have blending facilities (as most wouldn't) then you're up s#!t creek without a paddle if the blend is out of spec. I wouldn't go near a dive operation that didn't analyze in front of me.
If the tanks are already on the boat, then they MUST bring an analyzer for you to verify the blend. Remember, the vast majority of Nitrox divers rely on an analyzer being provided.

It's not a case of OK, you didn't bring an analyzer, but that's alright, I have my own. It's a case of they are not fulfilling their requirement. What other shortcuts have they taken. Would you dive off a commercial dive boat without oxygen first aid equipment? I wouldn't.

I just took the Nitrox class about a week ago and am traveling to Cozumel at the end of the month and plan to dive nitrox the entire 5 days of diving. I have to say that after the class we we under the impression that we should immediately go out and purchase an analyzer and computer.

AZDiver,

You'll be fine in Cozumel and you don't need to bring your own analyzer. The dive shop will have one for you to use. There is only one fill station in Cozumel that does Nitrox. The shop will order them the night before and they're delivered very early in the morning.

You'll analyze each tank yourself before they're loaded onto the boat.

Note that Nitrox in Cozumel is now an extra charge of $10 per tank....

-Charles

Thanks charlesml3,

It doesn't hurt my feelings to save $250+ right now, especially since I want to buy 2 computers before leaving! Maybe I'll have a couple pesos left for cerveza!

I'm diving with Aqua Safari, their website says $8 tank, last time we were there we dove with them but we used air, I will check with them about having an analyzer on the boat since they normally pick up at your hotels pier and air is already on the boat.

I think I will eventually get an analyzer though (not before this trip though), I thinks it's a good idea, it certainly can't hurt. I was reading in another thread about Cozumel where I diver said they have experienced tanks being more than 5% off. All of the dive shops there have one source for nitrox fills, I suspect it's a mad house there with dozens of dive shops all picking up nitrox at the same time so as to deliver to their boats. This type of scenario is much different than going down to the dive shop and having them fill a tank and analyze in front of you. I can see how a mix up could occur.

Thanks again for your post!

AZDiver,

No, it's not a madhouse at all. The one company that does Nitrox takes orders in the late afternoon and delivers the tanks to the dive shops very, very early in the morning. Before 5:00am. I'm not sure they'll do anything other than 32% or 36%, however. I've never asked for any other mix.

I do know they use a membrane filler rather than PPO2. I've dove Nitrox there my last 4 trips and have found the tanks to be very, very close to the sticker on the side. Less than 1% variance (which I just ignore).

I'm with you on the Nitrox ready dive computers. Good investment there. Aqua Safari has their own analyzer at the shop for you to use. If you're on the boat and directly to the reef then they'll put the analyzer on the boat for you.

-Charles

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom