Doubt on wrist computers!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Strahd:
The stinger seems a really good option but second hand market here in spain is quite limited...

Has anyone seen a Cressi Edy underwater? Only one I've ever seen was on my OW instructor wrist and he seemed very happy with it...

2 Words for you:

e Bay!

LOL:wink:

Strahd:
At this momment I don't have a wristwatch so, considering I must buy one (for day to day and for dive times) and also need to buy a depth gauge... why not buying all things in an integrated device?
Why not? For one, because you can buy both a regular dive computer that will be easier to read underwater, and a regular wristwatch for everyday use that will look nicer, for much less money combined.

For another, if you're not wearing it for everyday you won't be tempted to pick the coolest looking one (which I see you mention a lot), rather than the best one for your diving needs.

I don't understand why anyone would want to wear their dive computer all the time, unless you had a job where you were diving almost everyday. It might be convienient to wear for the the duration of a dive weekend or trip, but everyday? Maybe for the cool factor, but if that's the reason it's no longer cool. :14:

After quite a detailed study of the computers available my PERSONAL choice was the Oceanic Atom 1.0. It can be used as a regular wrist watch and as someone else has pointed out, it is going quite cheap now since Atom 2.0 is being introduced. Try www.scubatoys.com who have good prices for scubaboard members. It has a wireless Air Integration option if you are inclined to go that way.

Well, I browsed eBay for scuba gear and found prices on ebay were higher than new gear ones here in spain! So eBay is not an option for me...

For another, if you're not wearing it for everyday you won't be tempted to pick the coolest looking one (which I see you mention a lot), rather than the best one for your diving needs.
Hey you noticed I mention it a lot!! hehe, well I mentioned this factor as is the only one I can evaluate being a total noob to the sport :wink:

Strahd,

You've asked for a racing car that can also haul 2 weeks groceries. Yes, computers exist that can be worn daily as watches. But they make some significant compromises in order to do so. Not the least of which is screen real estate.

I went with a computer with a large screen and easy to read numbers. And a basic Casio G-Shock watch. Because when you are diving, you do NOT want to misinterpret the numbers on your computer if you are relying on it.

I use a DiveRite NiTek Plus.
http://www.diveriteexpress.com/computers/nitekplus.shtml
On sale for $349 right now, usually $495. Note the picture on the website doesn't do it justice...for some reason that picture is really grainy.

I use it as my normal wrist watch every day; it also has an alarm feature (which I don't use) and can do dual time-zones. That's nice when I have friends out of the country, or I want to make sure I don't call relatives in Hawaii at 2am their time. :wink: It keeps track of the date very nicely as well, too--you tell it the year and the date and it knows the day of the week; just one of those neato factors.

You can use it in gauge function, meaning it's only a bottom timer/depth gauge. OR you can use it as a computer, which is what it is set up as a default. It will also do metric or imerial units; I figured that was important seeing as how you are in Spain. :wink:

Personally I think it's a great computer and would highly recommend it. Everything else you'd want to know about it is on that webpage, so glance over the features list to see what other goodies it has. I don't know if it is a big deal to you or not, but it is NOT air integrated. Personally I see air integrated computers as useless gadgets so to me that wasn't an influence on my purchase at all. If you have any questions about it, feel free to PM me. :)

I thought the Nitek Plus was being discontinued? Is that not true? I have a friend with one who likes his very much.

It's probably being discontinued, hence the huge price drop. To me that sounds like a great time to buy! :D

PerroneFord:
I thought the Nitek Plus was being discontinued? Is that not true? I have a friend with one who likes his very much.

Probably why the DC is on sale. Betcha DR comes out with something to replace it @ DEMA.
Bill

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom