Drift diving in Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

huffman:
Been going to Cozumel for Labor Day for the last 15 years. Heard Intercontinental Hotel was damaged in the last hurricane and won't be open by Labor Day. Anyone been in the past month who can tell me the current status of the diving.

On the shallow reef,there are some damages. but fishes,marine life is excellent.

And...regarding Intercontinental Hotel,still no window,no doors,no paint works...
It seemes so difficult to re-open in October.

#I took a photo of IC hotel as of yesterday.but can not upload on SB.

mattari@COZ

When conditions are right, which they are more than not in Cozumel, drift diving is the best.

A slow gentle current moving you along the reef just enough that you don't have to kick much or at all once you have your bouyancy down, but still not so strong that you can't turn your head into it and gently kick to hover over something you want to observe for a while.

Imagine learning to dive in Coz or someplace where drift diving is the norm and then going some other location and finding out you have to actually swim sometimes!

sharky60:
When conditions are right, which they are more than not in Cozumel, drift diving is the best.

A slow gentle current moving you along the reef just enough that you don't have to kick much or at all once you have your bouyancy down, but still not so strong that you can't turn your head into it and gently kick to hover over something you want to observe for a while.

Imagine learning to dive in Coz or someplace where drift diving is the norm and then going some other location and finding out you have to actually swim sometimes!
Your first statement sets the stage. So, the question is, what happens when conditions are not right? My wife and I are relative newbies compared to many of you (Bonaire, Keys multiple times, T&C, Bahamas; OW, AOW and nitrox certs) and just took our first trip to Cozumel (late August, 2006). It was interesting. "Drift" dives implies a certain level of placidity. Your words, "A slow gentle current ..." set the expected tone quite well.

So, we were more than a bit surprised to experience, on our very first dive, current so strong that we could not hold still by digging our fingers into the sand. We were not worried about our safety (experience definitely helped), but we were worried about trying to keep up with our divemaster. We had to anticipate what direction he was going to take in order to make the turns comfortably and without struggle. At one point, I had anchored myself to a rock above and slightly downstream of our DM and group. Everyone disappeared under an overhang into what turned out to be a swimthrough. I had difficulty following and had to pull myself along the rock against the current until reaching the slack water under the overhang. Cool swimthroughs, which were great, if you prefer that to biology watching. On the other hand, it is difficult to pause and hover, while seeking little critters, when the current is so strong. All in all, we had two dives (1st and second to last) of 13 that were not fun. They were useful learning experiences, to be sure, and I am quite glad I did them. But, they were not fun.

How often the current is as strong as it was for us, I have no idea. It may also be of interest that there were a couple of mornings when the dive master would not let us dive at the initially selected locations because he felt the current was too strong. We wondered what that meant, considering what we had experienced. Nobody seems to talk about this side of Cozumel very much. I'd like to know more about the current strength, its variability and its seasonality, if any.

You can encounter strong currents in Cozumel. The trick is to stay down close to the reef and get out of the current or duck behind something. Don't get downcurrent of the group. That kind of diving can be fun once you get used to it.

lmorin:
So, we were more than a bit surprised to experience, on our very first dive, current so strong that we could not hold still by digging our fingers into the sand. We were not worried about our safety (experience definitely helped), but we were worried about trying to keep up with our divemaster. We had to anticipate what direction he was going to take in order to make the turns comfortably and without struggle. At one point, I had anchored myself to a rock above and slightly downstream of our DM and group. Everyone disappeared under an overhang into what turned out to be a swimthrough. I had difficulty following and had to pull myself along the rock against the current until reaching the slack water under the overhang. Cool swimthroughs, which were great, if you prefer that to biology watching. On the other hand, it is difficult to pause and hover, while seeking little critters, when the current is so strong. All in all, we had two dives (1st and second to last) of 13 that were not fun. They were useful learning experiences, to be sure, and I am quite glad I did them. But, they were not fun.

Hindsight being 20:20, there a couple of things that you did that maybe you shouldn't have.

One was to get downcurrent of the DM. Keeping up with a DM is usually not a problem; they are used to showing the smallest profile to the current and taking advantage of dead spots. I usually try to stay well back from the DM so that I can see plenty of time in advance when he turns the group into a swimthrough.

And sometimes it is better to pass on a swimthrough and meet the group on the other side rather than kicking upcurrent and dragging yourself over the "rock"; it's really coral and you could be damaging live coral by doing that.

But you know all that now, and next time you'll enjoy it more.

In Cozumel you'll be live boating which is the most dangerous method of drifting with the current on a dive. You can increase your safety by making sure you have a safety sausage and deploying it from your safety stop. There are two things that make live boating more dangerous than float diving or drift diving - 1. you can become separated from the boat and 2. a boat can run over you. A safety sausage deployed from your safety stop can greatly reduce the risk of both.

lmorin:
We were not worried about our safety (experience definitely helped), but we were worried about trying to keep up with our divemaster. We had to anticipate what direction he was going to take in order to make the turns comfortably and without struggle. At one point, I had anchored myself to a rock above and slightly downstream of our DM and group. Everyone disappeared under an overhang into what turned out to be a swimthrough. I had difficulty following and had to pull myself along the rock against the current until reaching the slack water under the overhang

This might sound harsh, but it's not intended to be. Anyone who knows me in person or through the message board knows how strong minded I am on the topic of reef conservation and protection. So please take this as constructive criticism and nothing more.

Rule number 1: When drift diving, you do not need to kick! I have no doubt this is why you got ahead of the DM. Find your neutral spot and let the current carry you. If you get ahead of the group, turn around and kick gently into the current to wait for them. Stay close to the bottom and close to the reef (without bouncing off the bottom or running into the reef) The current is typically stronger the further above or away from the reef you are.

Rule number 2: Do not get down current from the DM. You weren't keeping up with him...you were ahead of him, huge difference. You are not expected to anticipate where he is going, that is why he is leading the dive and why you are supposed to follow...not the other way around. This is just one reason (among many) why divers are required to dive with a DM in the water with the group at all times in Cozumel.

Rule number 3: Unless your life is in danger or potential danger, DO NOT TOUCH THE CORAL. Getting ahead of the divemaster and pulling yourself along the CORAL (not rock) to catch up to the group to go through a swim through is unacceptable and completely unnecessary. The correct thing to have done having found yourself in that situation would have been to wait. They're still moving in your direction.

If you cannot pause and hover (part of buoyancy control), then I would highly recommend a buoyancy course. This will help you improve in many aspects of your diving. With less than 50 dives as your profile indicates, you are still considered very new divers and still have alot to learn. That's not a bad thing, just a fact. We all started somewhere, and as long as you recognize that...you will continue to grow and improve as a diver.

How often the current is as strong as it was for us, I have no idea. It may also be of interest that there were a couple of mornings when the dive master would not let us dive at the initially selected locations because he felt the current was too strong. We wondered what that meant, considering what we had experienced. Nobody seems to talk about this side of Cozumel very much. I'd like to know more about the current strength, its variability and its seasonality, if any.

Perhaps after observing you, he was trying to keep you away from heavy currents since you seemed to have difficulty with them (not able to stay with him or the group). That is actually a sign of a good divemaster and I commend him for that.

You say that no one talks about this side of Cozumel much? That's news to me. Cozumel is famous for drift diving and that's all we do here because we do have currents. Some days they are stronger than others, some sites are stronger than others. They are unpredictable for the most part. For those who are not comfortable with drift dives, then I don't recommend Cozumel...because every dive here is a drift dive...whether you're flying thorugh the water or gently gliding along. Another option is to hire a private divemaster/instructor until you are comfortable and controlled with drift diving.

Christi:
divers are required to dive with a DM in the water with the group at all times in Cozumel.

It's been a long time ('91) since I was in Cozumel, but I don't remember such a rule, I made lots of dives with out a DM. Is this a shop policy? a law? Is it a recent change?

Walter:
It's been a long time ('91) since I was in Cozumel, but I don't remember such a rule, I made lots of dives with out a DM. Is this a shop policy? a law? Is it a recent change?

I don't mean to speak for Christi, but I suspect she means for boat dives. I do shore diving without a DM when I am there.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom