Drift diving in Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Walter:
It's been a long time ('91) since I was in Cozumel, but I don't remember such a rule, I made lots of dives with out a DM. Is this a shop policy? a law? Is it a recent change?

Local law and marine park regulation. ALL dive shops follow it too...not new...at least it's been in effect for the last 10 years that I am certain of.

Shore dives don't apply...only boat dives.

Christi:
Rule number 1: When drift diving, you do not need to kick! I have no doubt this is why you got ahead of the DM. Find your neutral spot and let the current carry you. If you get ahead of the group, turn around and kick gently into the current to wait for them. Stay close to the bottom and close to the reef (without bouncing off the bottom or running into the reef) The current is typically stronger the further above or away from the reef you are.

Rule number 2: Do not get down current from the DM. You weren't keeping up with him...you were ahead of him, huge difference. You are not expected to anticipate where he is going, that is why he is leading the dive and why you are supposed to follow...not the other way around. This is just one reason (among many) why divers are required to dive with a DM in the water with the group at all times in Cozumel.

Rule number 3: Unless your life is in danger or potential danger, DO NOT TOUCH THE CORAL. Getting ahead of the divemaster and pulling yourself along the CORAL (not rock) to catch up to the group to go through a swim through is unacceptable and completely unnecessary. The correct thing to have done having found yourself in that situation would have been to wait. They're still moving in your direction.

If you cannot pause and hover (part of buoyancy control), then I would highly recommend a buoyancy course. This will help you improve in many aspects of your diving. With less than 50 dives as your profile indicates, you are still considered very new divers and still have alot to learn. That's not a bad thing, just a fact. We all started somewhere, and as long as you recognize that...you will continue to grow and improve as a diver.

Perhaps after observing you, he was trying to keep you away from heavy currents since you seemed to have difficulty with them (not able to stay with him or the group). That is actually a sign of a good divemaster and I commend him for that.

You say that no one talks about this side of Cozumel much? That's news to me. Cozumel is famous for drift diving and that's all we do here because we do have currents. Some days they are stronger than others, some sites are stronger than others. They are unpredictable for the most part. For those who are not comfortable with drift dives, then I don't recommend Cozumel...because every dive here is a drift dive...whether you're flying thorugh the water or gently gliding along. Another option is to hire a private divemaster/instructor until you are comfortable and controlled with drift diving.
Let me elaborate. You are misinterpreting a few things. You suggest that I should, if ahead of the group, "turn around and gently kick into the current to wait for them." I would agree except that on the two dives I mentioned, gentle kicks would have been futile; much greater strength was needed over a much longer period than I have in my body. The only way to stop was to either behind a big object when one was available or grab on to the reef. I was next to the reef, as close to it as possible without touching. By "anticipating" the DM, I mean to say that he could be maximally efficient with his swimming because he knew where and when to turn around objects. I didn't. I tried to position myself to be as efficient as possible by anticipating when and where he might turn in order that I could ride the current in a similar fashion, rather than have to combat it. We were in currents that, at one moment, were trying to drag us down, push us against a wall, then throw us up 15-20 ft. We did not touch the coral. Coral is alive, rock is dead. So is sand. I know the difference. Re the swim through, that was the only time I was ahead of the DM. He stopped by holding on to the rock, then I stopped downstream of him as did 3 of the 6 in our group. I was 12-15 ft downstream; the others were closer. I did not know where the swimthrough exit might be--at right angles to the current or downstream a bit just around the next corner. Either way, it could have been quite out of sight. Contrary to your suggestion, I think wisdom dictates following the group rather than hoping everyone will reappear. Re hovering--Hovering means holding still at one altitude or depth. It was not possible in the currents on those two dives, regardless of my abilities (which do include hovering).

I appreciate your comments and fully agree (as I stated) that I am a relative newby (I tried unsuccessfully to revise my dive total, now in the mid 60's). My comment about the lack of discussion concerning Cozumel current strength and variability was simply meant to indicate I have not run across information on the web about the topic while reading about Cozumel drift diving. I admit that my choice of the word "talk" may have been poor. I still haven't read anything significant beyond your comments, despite spending a good deal of effort looking for it since our trip. Again, I'd like to know more about the causes of the variability. Thanks again for your comments.

Christi:
Local law and marine park regulation. ALL dive shops follow it too...not new...at least it's been in effect for the last 10 years that I am certain of.

Shore dives don't apply...only boat dives.

Darlin', that's recent, I was last there 15 years ago.

Why does it apply to boat dives but not shore dives? Doesn't seem to logical, seems like it would be all or nothing. What exactly does the law state?

lmorin, it is true that you can encounter ripping currents. I've been on dives on the northern reefs where everyone was wearing gloves and the only way to stop was to hold on. Another trick that is helpful is to position your body perpendicular to the current and arch your back keeping your fins up and scull your fins.

lmorin:
I still haven't read anything significant beyond your comments, despite spending a good deal of effort looking for it since our trip. Again, I'd like to know more about the causes of the variability. Thanks again for your comments.

The variability in the current on different dives is due to the turbulence that the prevailing current, which moves relatively steadily southwest to northeast up the channel between Cozumel and the Yucatan, generates by interacting with the coastline and reefs of Cozumel. This makes eddy currents and other flows which are always changing; sometimes locally the current can stop entirely or actually flow the opposite direction of the prevailing flow, which is part of the Gulf Stream.

Since the Cozumel dive sites are all pretty close to the island, we are always diving in this turbulence, and the local current may even reverse itself in the middle of a dive. Last May on a night dive on Paradise Reef, we were swept by the current over the same features two or three times from different directions.

Your experiences are not unusual for someone unaccustomed to drift diving. After doing it for a bit, you acclimate and the things you need to do to cope with it without blowing through your air and wearing yourself out get to be second nature.

And BTW, the reefs are completely coral, not rock. It may be alive or it may not be, but it's all coral.

Walter:
Currents in Cozumel are not always horizontal.

Good point. I always dive air on walls.

Walter:
Darlin', that's recent, I was last there 15 years ago.

Why does it apply to boat dives but not shore dives? Doesn't seem to logical, seems like it would be all or nothing. What exactly does the law state?

Recent is relative...10 years is not all that recent when you consider how much can change in 10 years and how much information is now available online. This is old, old news in that regard.

The reefs were officially designated as a protected marine sanctuary in 1996, 10 years ago. This is when they started charging a daily entrance fee of $2. Prior to that, I honestly don't know what the policies or rules were but I do know that even before then DM's were required and shops didn't send divers out without DM's. I just confirmed that with Pedro (my lead DM), who has been working as a DM in Cozumel since 1990 and as a captain since the early to mid 80's.

To add to this, all Captain's, DM's, Instructors, snorkel guides and anyone who works within the national park system must take a one week (20 hour) course to be eligible to work within the park.

I'm not the bad guy here...only the messenger. It's not my policy or my rule...and I'm certaily not making it up. There is not a dive shop on this island that will send you out without a divemaster. You also cannot rent a a boat without a local DM. Infractions could result in immediate revocation of licenses and permits...certainly not worth it to any shop or boat owner I know...they're hard enough to get to begin with.

Why not on shore dives? Technically, if you are shore diving within marine park boundaries, then you should have a local DM with you. Shore diving inside the park really isn't an option because there is not really a shore dive consisting of anything but sand within the park boundaries. Chankanaab park, which is within marine park boundaries is the only place I can think of. They will not rent you a tank without a guide.

You can see the Marine Park rules on my website. This (my website) doesn't actually state that divers must dive with a divemaster at all times, but it is in fact a local regulation stated in the "manual" (for lack of a better word) and it's so commonly known that it doesn't really need to be stated anymore. In otherwords, it's considered common knowledge
http://www.bluextseadiving.com/marineparkrules.php

lmorin

Gordon, Redhead and Walter gave good advice and pointers as well. I really have nothing to add to what they said. As Walter said, the currents are not always horizontal...which again is why I said they can be unpredictable.

As far as me misinterpreting things, my statements were based only on what you stated which is all I knew, so no offense was intended. I'm just trying to help and give you pointers for the next time.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom