Drift diving in Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

No one said you were the bad guy, I was just asking what the rules are and figured since you live and work there, you would know. So, if I understand correctly, one is not required to dive with a DM, but with a DM who has successfully completed the one week course of the National Park System.

I've swam out to the wall from shore. We stayed at Villita del Mar and swam out from the beach there. It's not all that far to the wall, that was the dive where we saw the Marlin.

Christi:
Why not on shore dives? Technically, if you are shore diving within marine park boundaries, then you should have a local DM with you. Shore diving inside the park really isn't an option because there is not really a shore dive consisting of anything but sand within the park boundaries. Chankanaab park, which is within marine park boundaries is the only place I can think of. They will not rent you a tank without a guide.
]

FWIW, the rule about having to dive with a DM at Chankanaab Park is more recent, or much more recently enforced, anyway. Three or four years ago, Carol and I dove without a guide there; we just rented the gear and jumped in. The next year, however, they wouldn't let us do that. At the dive shop they told us that it was because someone had done something stupid and had to be rescued.

ggunn:
FWIW... At the dive shop they told us that it was because someone had done something stupid and had to be rescued.

Stupid people are always ruining things for the rest of us:14:

sharky60:
Stupid people are always ruining things for the rest of us:14:

I don't get it. Boat divers occasionally have to be rescued too.

Walter:
No one said you were the bad guy, I was just asking what the rules are and figured since you live and work there, you would know. So, if I understand correctly, one is not required to dive with a DM, but with a DM who has successfully completed the one week course of the National Park System.

Oh I know that's not what you were saying :wink: There are people that get really upset though when they find out that all dives are led by local DM's and solo diving is not permitted.

You are correct about the local DM rule as well...instructors too. Aside from the marine park rules, technically visiting instructors cannot come down and do their check-out dives, etc. That would not only be against marine park regulations, but also immigration laws. I know some shops have close relationships with visiting instructors and find ways around this, but it's the exception rather than the rule.

Also, FWIW, the park reduced the ratio after Wilma from 8:1 to 6:1. I know alot of shops are back to the 8:1 ratio...and to be quite honest, I haven't followed up myself to see if the old ratio is back in effect or if we are technically still under the 6:1 rule.

Christi:
Also, FWIW, the park reduced the ratio after Wilma from 8:1 to 6:1. I know alot of shops are back to the 8:1 ratio...and to be quite honest, I haven't followed up myself to see if the old ratio is back in effect or if we are technically still under the 6:1 rule.

Christi,

My wife and I both have good buoyancy control, but are new divers with only about 25 dives (all since mid-june) and none in any real currents. Would you suggest hiring a DM, or does that ratio take into account inexperienced divers?

Thanks

Christi:
Oh I know that's not what you were saying :wink: There are people that get really upset though when they find out that all dives are led by local DM's and solo diving is not permitted.

There's no reason to get upset about the rule. I'd be upset if I were lied to about the rule, but that's a reason to do research prior to making a trip, to avoid running into rules with which one is not happy. Folks should find locations to dive that have rules consistent with their diving preferences. Like to always dive with a DM? Cozumel is your place. Want to do your own thing? Head for Bonaire.

Give me the beat boys and free my soul
I want to get lost in your rock and roll and drift awa-a-ay

29 hours :D

My $.02:

In addition to good buoyancy control, let's not forget about horizontal trim.

Many divers don't realize that when diving in situations that require some degree of finning, their finning compensates for being out of trim, and the diver sometimes doesn't notice that they're out of trim, ususally bottom-heavy. This can easily happen with rental equipment that doesn't fit you as well as your own stuff.

When trying to drift without finning (which is the goal), it becomes immediately apparent whether or not you're in trim. If you're diving steel tanks, you'll have a bit more weight higher on your back than with an AL80. You may also want to consider placing some of your weight in higher pockets on your BCD, if so equipped, or placing a weight or two on your tank strap, to help with trim.

Being in trim will help avoid unnecessary finning, which may help you avoid getting ahead of the DM.

Another point to consider when wall diving (learned from personal experience), if you're hovering directly above the DM on a wall, you're usually going to be further from the wall than the DM, and you'll probably be moving at a faster clip. Keep the wall at arms-length and you should be fine.

Have fun!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom