Drinking underwater?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

knfmn

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I get very, very thirsty when I dive. I know there are ways to drink underwater, but my search skills must be way off, because I can't find any of them. Does anyone here have a way to stay hydrated while they dive? How do you do it? Any tips or tricks?

Thanks,

Kristopher

The search function here sucks. Do a site search on Google (type: site:ww.scubaboard.com "capri sun", for example) for better results. Try "Scuda", "Camelback", and "Capri Sun" as search terms.

Yes, it's quite possible.

When I'm making long dives (which are 90-120min in my case) I sometimes take a bottle of "sport drink" down with me that has one of those caps you can pull open with your teeth. Aside from being refreshing it gives you something useful to do if you have a 20-odd minute "hang". In your case, you're looking for a way to take a quick drink of something during the dive.

How I attach it is step 2 but suffice it to say that I hang it on my gear via a bolt snap.

How to drink from it under water is not self evident. It's a skill that you need to practice. Practice in shallow water (obviously) until you get the hang of it.

Alternatively, if you're just looking to "water" your mouth because the air is dry you could consider taking some water from the water around you in your mouth and swishing it around before spitting it out (also a skill that needs practice).

R..

Capri suns and the platypus bottles all look like good options. I'm not so sure about swishing the water around in my mouth, since most of my dives have taken place in the ocean and I try very energetically to avoid getting ocean water in my mouth...lol. This is something I should definitely practice. I *hate* getting thirsty and drink a ridiculous amount of water during the day, so getting as dry as I have underwater has really been an issue for me. These are some great ideas. Thanks for sharing information.

Kristopher

I get very, very thirsty when I dive.
If you are getting very, very thirsty then you need to hydrate better before your dives.

Another common problem is dry mouth and throat.

Sucking in a bit of seawater, rinse swish and spit works good for dry mouth. Gargle a bit for dry throat.

I drink Capri Sun for a bit of liquid refreshment and a bit of sugar on dives 75 minutes or longer, but often just a quick rinse with seawater takes car of the dry mouth.

If you are getting very, very thirsty then you need to hydrate better before your dives.

Another common problem is dry mouth and throat.

Sucking in a bit of seawater, rinse swish and spit works good for dry mouth. Gargle a bit for dry throat.

I drink Capri Sun for a bit of liquid refreshment and a bit of sugar on dives 75 minutes or longer, but often just a quick rinse with seawater takes car of the dry mouth.

I do hydrate...a lot. I just get thirsty very often. Maybe I should rephrase that. I get dry mouth and throat, which I associate with being thirsty. I'll try your seawater trick. And CapriSun, just because who doesn't like an excuse to drink CapriSun?

Thanks,

Kristopher

Hopefully you know that dehydration increases the risk of DCS. I realize it's not exactly what you're asking, but as Charlie99 said, if you're feeling very, very thirsty, you're already quite dehydrated. This is not actually all that unusual; many people go around every day slightly dehydrated.

To put numbers on it, by the time you start feeling thirsty (not necessarily just dry mouth), you're short on water by at least 1.5-2% of your body weight. In other words, if you weight 150 lbs, you're dehydrated by at least 2-3 pints (4-6 cups). If you were to drink this much pure water, it would take 60-90 minutes to be fully absorbed into the blood stream, and even longer to diffuse into all your other tissues. And if your stomach has a lot of food in it or you're drinking stuff with a lot of salt or sugar, the absorption rate goes down. However, somewhat surprisingly, absorption rate isn't as affected by body size, so a big person is going to need more water (or water mixed with other things) and is going to need more time to absorb it adequately.

Bottom line: drink enough to make up your shortages a few hours before diving, and keep drinking until you enter the water. One medical type even posted on SB once before something to the effect that 'if you need to pee at the start of the dive, you're adequately hydrated.'

I am hydrated to the point of wondering if I have TOO much water in me, and I still get thirsty on dives. Hence the platypus.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom