Drinking underwater?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you are getting very, very thirsty then you need to hydrate better before your dives.

Another common problem is dry mouth and throat.

To the OP:

Hydration is very important I wanted to re-iterate what Charlie said...

and remember... the air in a scuba tank is much drier than the air you breathe, depending on where you live this could be especially true.

When I dive my helmet with surface supplied air from a low pressure compressor (which is much moister than tank air) - I do 3 hour dives without feeling dry. 1.5 - 2 hours on Scuba, and i feel extremely dry and parched. There are some regulators that perform better than others with respect to this dry mouth, dry air thing. But I don't really know them off the top of my head.

Ok, look.....I drink tons of water....I commonly go through 4-5 16oz bottle-fulls of water in a day. I just get dried out when I'm underwater. In looking around, it seems to be a common side effect of using Scuba gear in general. There is no danger of my not being adequately hydrated. I simply get dry mouth while I'm diving, which I generally associate with being thirsty. I probably phrased the first question incorrectly.

Thanks,

Kristopher

Kristopher, you need to drink more water.

Just kidding!

I thought I'd chime in that the ocean water swish and spit trick really does work. Your mouth will taste a little salty afterwards, obviously, but it beats the heck out of cotton mouth.

And makes the fresh water or juice you drink after the dive taste that much better. :D

Kristopher, you need to drink more water.

Just kidding!

I thought I'd chime in that the ocean water swish and spit trick really does work. Your mouth will taste a little salty afterwards, obviously, but it beats the heck out of cotton mouth.

And makes the fresh water or juice you drink after the dive taste that much better. :D

Man, maybe I should try to hydrate more before I dive...lolol. I've got a LDS that will let me go in the pool with them when they do the confined water stuff. Maybe I'll tag along the next time they go and bring a couple of CapriSuns, just to make everyone certain that I'm nuts...lol.

Kristopher

Continued....

That Bio filter looks like a great idea. Does anyone know how likely that thing is to spring a leak?

Kristopher

Unlikely...

However, if you're looking to gear to solve a problem then most divers would tell you that the issue is not gear related.....

If you are dying of thirst in the 30 odd minutes it takes to make a dive... is there maybe something else happening here? An unquenchable thirst may be a sign of certain illnesses like diabetes.... have you considered this or other similar conditions ?

R..

Unlikely...

An unquenchable thirst may be a sign of certain illnesses like diabetes.... have you considered this or other similar conditions ?

R..

Funny you should mention that! I've had numerous diabetes tests over the years for just that reason. Lots of thirst, family history, blah blah blah.....and no diabetes. I'm just a dry kind of guy apparently.
I'll try the swish and spit advice (sounds like the dentist!) and the CapriSun deal. Those should take care of any cotton mouth issues.

Kristopher

If you think about it, little things that bring just that much more comfort or peace of mind will free you to focus on other things while you're down. Might as well just add that skill to your toolkit, bring along a platypus and not worry about it. You're thirsty, have a drink. Feel better. Think about the dive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom