Drying a wetsuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've dried my suits in the dryer on occasion.

I put the dryer on the "Gentle" cycle and have at it . . . and to this point with no negative results.

But I buy Neo-Sports wet suits so I'm not taking a $350 risk.

the K

I have put neoprene items through the dryer in the past, on air fluff, but they actually dry faster, I think, if I hang them in the bathroom and turn a 20" fan on in the doorway. Virtually ANYTHING will dry overnight in those conditions.

People who say, "Go ahead and just dive it wet the next day," aren't thinking about air temperatures below 50 degrees :)

TSand M: You're right. I'm definitely NOT thinking about WATER temperatures below 50 degrees. Air temp at 50 would be OK if the water was at least 70 or 80 though. Thecoldest I've dove, if I remember correctly, was off of Islamorad last year in February when the air temp was at 57, surface at 78 and bottom temp 63 on the Eagle. It was a double dip with a one hour SI. I about froze my a** off because of the wind. No jacket and no cover. I jumped in the water a couple times to warm up.

People who say, "Go ahead and just dive it wet the next day," aren't thinking about air temperatures below 50 degrees :)

Actually, I did two boat dives in a wet, wet suit in Puget Sound in late November a few years ago. It wasn't so bad until the boat really got moving between the two sites and then I froze my @$$ off. The problem wasn't with the suit being wet when I put it on though, but was due instead to cold weather, cold water and being in an exposed boat cruising along at 30 mph.

Even when a wet suit is wet inside, when you first put it on it's not full of water like it is when you get out of the water after diving. It's more like just a damp residue.

carrielsal: I have a Henderson (Superstretch titanium?) which i have dried on HOT a couple times and had no problems with it later. It just fit a little better.

TIME OUT

Dhboner,

How did your sons do?

Pete

They did great...they both passed!

They weren't too happy putting on a "wet" wet-suit between dives but with the help of a few thermos's of warm water they survived. The water temperature at 100 feet (their deep dive) was 42 degrees and the air temperature hovered around 5 degrees with some wind all day.

I guess "dad" had better take the advanced diver course so I can keep up!

Bob

I've washed, in the washer, and dried, in the dryer all my wetsuits for years w/o issue.

I have a front loader washer. I wouldn't recommend doing with with a top loading washer.

I dry everything on low to med-low heat and on gentle.

Frankly my dive box sits right next to the washer and dryer. As soon as I get home, I load all my neoprene in the washer for a rinse and then in the dryer it goes.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom