Early Dive computers. What did they cost?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just been doing a bit of research prompted by the purchase of a new computer and was suprised (and then not suprised when I sat down and thought about it) that these things are a relativley new bit of kit. I've been reading up on the history and one thing I'd love to know (but can't find out) is back in '72 when the Scubapro bend-O-meter came out and then in '83 when the electronic 'Orca Edge' appeared what did they cost? I'm guessing that though they existed these things were prohibitively expensive for a good few years.

Karl_T
I paid 329 GBP for my Uwatec/Beauchat Aladin Pro (grey case, 3 contacts) in London, in 1991.
And now I've an interesting problem: I need to replace the 3.6V battery - which is soldered in at both ends. Anyone know where I can find the battery?

Cheers for al the replies everyone. It confirms what I thought, they may have appeared in '86 '87 but the first off weren't exactly widespread in use. I'll have to look up those 90's ones, I'm curious to see how it's all evolved now, when all the features we almost take for granted now first appeared.
It's an odd generational thing, me and my better half often meet people now who've never known computers (PC's) without Windows, and similarly we're now divers who don't know a diving without dive computers. We know the theory and the methods to do it witout, but I have to say I wouldn't consider doing it.

Karl_T
Gosh...
Diving without a computer is pretty easy: I developed my 'Rule of 50' - Depth in meters plus no stop time in minutes equals 50. Which works quite well for 24m downwards. Above 24m you're generally going to use all your air before difficulties. In any case I head for the top when I'm at 75bar, spend 3 mins at 10m, then as much time as I can at 5m - usually > 10 mins. I ascend slow, around 1m/min. I'm pleased to say when my old Aladin Pro crapped out last weekend, I still managed to continue diving, albeit it shallowly. Most of the others on the boat looked alarmed when I resorted to the credit-card sized laminated tables that came with my Aladin Pro...

Scubapro Decompression meter $250.00 in 1978. Orca Edge $600.00 in 1988

I got my Orca Skinny Dipper for $200 in 1989. The edge was going for around $600.

I still dive with the Skinny Dipper!

It's huge read-out are perfect for my aging eyes. My Mares Nemo is the back-up since I find it harder to read during a dive.

I still dive with the Skinny Dipper!

It's huge read-out are perfect for my aging eyes.

Unfortunately, it lacks two features that would be helpful to my aging everythng-else.

You gotta remember to turn it on before descending. (Wait, my 15-year-old son couldn't remember to do that either.)

And you can't use geezer gas.

I still dive with a orca edge as a back up to my nitek duo. There are some difference in bottom times for shallow dive and decompression. As i have aged I,ve have slowed my ascent rate and stop about 20 feet for a saftey stop even for shallow dives (45ft. to 60ft). When I started diving we chaced our small bubbles on ascent. I like the large graphic on my Edge. I tell how I am doing at a glance.

I had a Farallon computer-it was actually a meter not a computer. If I recall correctly it cost $55 new in the early to mid 1970ies. It was recalled shortly after it went onto the market.

c

The SOS meter is not a dive computer.

The DecoBrain predated the EDGE (Electronic Dive GuidE). Both came out in the early 80s (82? 83?), but no computer was very common until the late 80s/early 90s. I bought an EDGE around 1987 - 88 and paid about $600 for it.

The EDGE still has the best display of any dive computer before or since.

Another great benefit of the Edge is you can wear less weight on your belt! My husband still uses his and I still use the Skinnydipper!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom