Early Dive computers. What did they cost?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I remember the cost of my EDGE. It was $800.00 retail in 1987 dollars. I always liked the graphic display. I think the EDGE did have some weight to it. We always called them 'the brick.' It's still around, and it still works (software 4). It's now at my LDS for student discussions about early computers.

My USD Monitor was $250 in late 80's

Mike D

EDGE, commonly known as the Brick.

Bob

First computer I ever saw was an Edge in 1987 which the instructor said had cost him US$800.

Gosh...
Diving without a computer is pretty easy: I developed my 'Rule of 50' - Depth in meters plus no stop time in minutes equals 50.

Imperial divers learned the rule of 120. Based on the old USN tables, depth in feet plus minutes cannot add up to more than 120 (or, put another way, subtract your depth in feet from 120 and that is your NDL in minutes).

It was a decent rule of thumb, but didn't work too well for deeper dives...

Last edited:
First computer I ever saw was an Edge in 1987 which the instructor said had cost him US$800.

Imperial divers learned the rule of 120. Based on the old USN tables, depth in feet plus minutes cannot add up to more than 120 (or, put another way, subtract your depth in feet from 120 and that is your NDL in minutes).

It was a decent rule of thumb, but didn't work too well for deeper dives...

Hey Rhone Man:

We learned the 120 rule too. 60 for 60, 90 for 30...etc. Ascent rate was the smallest bubble too. Those were the days....

Safe diving to you.

Sounds like the Imperial and metric aren't bad back-up methods. Maybe a little safer then with a small, low pressure tank and wetsuit in cold water. Today it'd probably be a whole lot easier to stay under too long in comfort...Thx guys...

Back
Top Bottom