Entry level computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I saw on Leisurepro the Oceanic VEO 100 and seems like a good deal.

Any comments on this computer?

that's just an air computer. other than that, i don't know much about it.

ScubaMike05:
Hey all. Am I correct in saying that a wrist mount cannot monitor your tank pressure? How is it Nitrox ready?

Why would someone want a console mount?

Thanks in advance

Nitrox-ready computers don't have a built-in oxygen analyzer. You need to manually tell them "32% oxygen, dude!" (or something like that). They then calculate your nitrogen loading based on 68% N2 (rather than 79% N2). So, if you don't really care about knowing how much air (or nitrox) is in your tank, a wrist mount is perfectly fine.

A console mount is nice because you only need to look at one thing (console) to figure out depth, NDL time remaining (or N2 loading, depending on how you like your readout), bottom time, & tank pressure. You don't need an air-integrated unit for that, a standard SPG in the console, next to the computer will do the trick.

I've never dived with wireless air-integrated, but I worry about RF transmission in water, and possible interference with the guy next to you. I (used to) bicycle a lot, and if you get a bunch of gearheads in a double paceline, sometimes, your heart rate monitor will pick up somebody else's heart rate :11:

p.s. edit added: Larry at Scubatoys will match LP, give a 10% discount to Scubaboard members if you identify yourself as such, and you get the manufacturer warranty. I'm a happy customer with an Aeris 1 (now remodelled XR) wrist unit.

Well I think I have it narrowed down to 2 computers, the Aeris Atmos 2 Wrist Computer or the Oceanic Versa Pro Wrist Nitrox / Air Computer. I'm leaning toward the Atmos 2 because it says the batteries are user changable and I like the fact that you can later add the cable for 50.00 versus 99 bucks with the oceanic. I do like that the oceanic has a temp. gauge in it, water activated and the big display.
Questions:
Am I missing something that the Atomas 2 has the same as the oceanic
Are the batteries user replaceable on the oceanic
Which one is a better computer

Thanks for all your help

The atmos 2 also has temp display, water activation and a large easy to read display. They're very similar computers; either one will work fine.

prodjbm
I've been looking into this also. Seems to me the Versa Pro and Atmos 2 are the same computer just a different housing. Look at this post
http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=111304&highlight=versa+pro+atmos+2
I also saw a post by Larry from Scubatoys saying they are the same computer, but I can't seem to find that one. If there is a major difference that I don't know about, I'm sure someone will correct me!

prodjbm:
Well I think I have it narrowed down to 2 computers, the Aeris Atmos 2 Wrist Computer or the Oceanic Versa Pro Wrist Nitrox / Air Computer. I'm leaning toward the Atmos 2 because it says the batteries are user changable and I like the fact that you can later add the cable for 50.00 versus 99 bucks with the oceanic. I do like that the oceanic has a temp. gauge in it, water activated and the big display.
Questions:
Am I missing something that the Atomas 2 has the same as the oceanic
Are the batteries user replaceable on the oceanic
Which one is a better computer

Thanks for all your help

Versa pro has user changeable batteries and the aeris cable will work on it as well.

Oceanic and Aeris are sister companies.

If your are prone to dropping or breaking things, and only plan on 12 dives/year...
You might consider non-nitrox computers. Atmos 1 does not have the audible alarms, but at just over $100, I won't cry if I do lose/destroy one! Oceanic has one like it also, I believe.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom