Equipment... I'm so lost

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks....

In terms of suits... I have no issue buying online. Just wanted to give my lds a bit a business... but it doesn't have to be right this moment. Thank you for letting me know scubatoys will work with me for a wetsuit.... makes that decision a lot easier.

I have worn quite a few wetsuits in the past.... water skiing though :wink: So I know this wetsuit fit almost perfectly.... was quite amazed actually as I've been in suits that don't fit at all... only problem area was under the arms.... everything else fit like a glove.

They carry other brands.... oceanic is one of them .... I can't remember th 4th brand.... but all have good reputations.

I went into the shop yesterday to reserve rental gear for the check out..... they carry bp/w .... so I'm hoping I might get to try one of those as well. It was an OMS.... and from my understanding that's a pretty good company?

For wetsuits, look into a custom cut wetsuit. Well worth the $, even more so for ladies. It's important that the suit fits all of those wonderful curves. An ill fitting wetsuit will be cold and uncomfortable.

When peopl say "custom wetsuit" .... does that just mean they buy a wetsuit and have it altered to fit?

I was looking at this one at scubatoys yesterday.....

NeoSport 7 Mil John & Jacket (Womens)
http://www.scubatoys.com/store/Scuba_Wetsuits_Womens.asp?PAGE=4

Will this work? Or is it cheap crappola that I'll have to replace?

Longstocking:
When peopl say "custom wetsuit" .... does that just mean they buy a wetsuit and have it altered to fit?

I like the Neosports and have the 4/3 and the 3/2. The 3/2 is about 3 years old and still a good suit. The Hyperstretch 7/5 would be more comfy, but it is over $300. I would try on both suits.

By custom, he means made to fit your body. Scuba-L sells custom wetsuits:

http://www.scubal.com/

I think they are butt-ugly, but some folks like them. :D

Longstocking:

No a custom westsuit they take all your measurements and manufacture it to fit YOU. But I wouldn't spend the extra $$ if a stock size fits you.

I wouldn't say it's cheap crappola and probably would be fine, as I said before wetsuits are consumables, depending on how much you dive, it WILL be replaced eventually whether that 2 yrs or 5. You may take the plunge on a drysuit sooner rather than later.

For what it's worth my westsuit is the only thing I didn't buy online, you want it to fit perfectly and you can't do that online and don't want to have to return it to get a different size [what a pain].

My wife and I have the Atomic B2 and it would be hard to find a better reg unless you need something that's good for pure O2 or 50%. Two year service intervals will pay for it over time.

However, as mentioned above, Zeagle Envoy is a really good bang for the buck reg. The mouthpiece is uncomfortable for many people, so you might want to replace it.

If you're into the configuration, the Atomic SS1 is really nice, too.

Try different BC configurations. BP/W is popular, but everyone likes different stuff.

I understand the problems of being a tall woman and buying a wetsuit. Mares, for examples, tops out at 5'8". Bare has a lot of sizes, but as you get taller, they get really big: 5'10" is a szie 18! Tilos might work and Henderson is notoriously long. I'm 5"10 also and I wear a size 10. Ideally I would wear an 8, but they are too short. If you have an LDS that sells Henderson or Tilos, try some on. I have never been able to buy a wetsuit that fits other than over the net.

The problem with men's sizing is that there is going to be a gap under the arm and also a gap through the midsection as they are not cut to acommodate the twins. :wink: My LDS tried to sell me a men's Med Tall Xcel suit, but the gap would have left me cold.

I think the quality of the Neosport is very good and I own a Tilos, Henderson Hyperstretch, Henderson Aquasuede, Henderson InstraDry (a birthday present), Neosport and a Henderson Microprene 1mm. I would equate the Neosport quality to the Tilos.

Shark.bye is correct in that wetsuits are consummables as the neoprene loses it's air after repreated compressions. My Tilos is worn out and I no longer dive it.

Akona makes some pretty good stuff. My girlfriend and I both have Akona 6.5mm two-piece wetsuits and they fit us rather well.

if one has an athletic build, you can't beat TILOS. i have tried many wetsuits over the years, and i continue to buy TILOS. my 7-6-5 and semi-dry fit great off the rack. the quality is really good and the price is very reasonable as well. i'm sold on TILOS.

After reading scubatoys argument (article) for buying a bc first.... we did just that :)

I ended up with a Ladyhawk.... It felt like a pillow underwater !!! So much better than those jacket styles !!! I was so uncomfortable in those things !!!

We decided that even though we would like to eventually get into cavern/cave diving that it is a longgggggg ways off...if ever.... and for right now this would be best for us.

I'm VERY happy with our decision.... so ty scubatoys !!!

So this next week.... we are going to get suits :)

What we did do though.... we bought mouthpieces for regs... some really comfy ones (b/f has a major over bite and hated the mouth pieces that are typically on regs)..... also reading some of the stories of bad mouthpieces on this forum... we thought this might be a good idea.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom