Equipment Servicing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cwhite6

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I have a few questions for the experienced folks out there. What is driving them is I am considering (in the next 6 months) buying my own equipment. First up is BCD, computer and reg set. I am not looking for debate on what to buy first. I have read pages on here for that. :) I will most probably be buying my gear online as there is one very small LDS here and they will not budge on prices. They are die hard SP also. Please let's not get into the LDS vs online debate. I have read pages of that also. :) Due to very limited diving here and my having small children who keep most of weekends occupied, I am looking at getting to go diving maybe once every 2 or 3 months for a dive getting maybe 3 dives in. I am fine with that for now. So, after all the upfront stuff, my question is this: I know most manufacturers say to get their regs serviced every year. However, if I am only putting maybe 10 dives on them in twelve months and they are being kept indoors and clean, is that really necessary? I know it voids free equipment deals and warranties and I am ok with that. I am looking at buying a SP reg set online that SP will not honor the warranty on anyway, so that is not a huge deal for me. What are the all knowing folks on here's opinions? Also, I am looking for simple advice too. I am looking at buying a MK25/G250V reg set as I have tried one and really like it. However, I can buy a Sherwood Magnum set that will have a warranty honored. Are they close in breathing ability? I do not want to buy another reg set in a few years, so I need something that will last. About the coldest diving for me would be Lake Ouachita in Arkansas that gets down to around 52 degree F at depth I believe. Thanks!!!!!

Many experienced dives will follow a two or three year service cycle and yet others will follow a "service when needed" schedule. I don't recommend that for new divers simply because they usually don't know yet how to read the symptoms and signs of when service is "needed".

However, if you choose to do that (and preferable even if you follow an annual cycle) you should understand thoroughly how your gear works, take good care of it, and carefully inspect it often. Rinse thoroughly after diving, keep out of sunlight and extreme heat, and store in a cool dry place.

With a BC, you need to make sure all the valves operate smoothly, the power inflater doesn't stick, the latches and straps are secure, and the material (especially the bladder) doesn't degrade. With a reg, you need to make sure there are no leaks or free flows, improper intermediate pressures (get an intermediate spg), or damaged hoses.

If you are only planning 10 dives per year, it would be reasonable to expect to go 10 years without an "annual" service if you take good care of those regs. Perform good inspections before each use should keep you free of any unpleasant surprises.

I agree with Reefhound's post. But that's if you know what to look for.

Your life depends on this equipment, if you are not absolutely confident in your knowledge then why risk it. Gear can be improperly rinsed and degrade over the course of it's storage.
If you're only diving several times a year you will most likely be out of practice both in your diving abilities and your knowledge of equipment.

If you're looking at buying ScubaPro then just spend the extra money at the shop so you get the lifetime US free parts warranty. That in itself will save you a load of money in the long run.
Plus it will begin to build a relationship with the said LDS which could also help you in the long run.

If you don't have a local LDS who's authorized to service your gear, you may begin to pay big bucks just to transport or ship your gear to an LDS that does. Then you're paying fuel on top of parts and service charges.

Some mfg have two year recommended service interval and you could get warrantied regs with service including parts for about the same maintenance price as what you will pay in labor every year for the ScubaPro regs.

Thanks for the info. My local LDS is an authorized SP and Sherwood shop. However, they do not stock Sherwood and they REALLY push SP. My question between the two was I can buy the Sherwood for around $350 and my local LDS will honor the warranty and service it because the online place is an authorized Sherwood dealer. I can also buy a MK25/G250V for around $350 but SP will not honor the warranty because online places are not authorized by them. My local LDS will service it, but no free parts. Are the two regulators similar in performance? The Magnum did really well in a test I saw, so I am curious.

Some mfg have two year recommended service interval and you could get warrantied regs with service including parts for about the same maintenance price as what you will pay in labor every year for the ScubaPro regs.

Can you give me a short list of the ones you are talking about? I am suffering from what alot of folks who live in non-diving areas suffer from. There is no real ability for me to compare different regs. I am using SB for that and the few folks I know who dive.

I use the Sherwood Magnum and love it. It breathes real well but not as well as adjustable regs such as the 109 from SP. It's not a disadvantage at all though, you get all the air you need even under stress. It just takes a little more effort unlike some adjustable regs which takes almost no effort at all. But without any comparison you don't feel like you have to try and breath, it's still effortless if that makes any sense.
The first stage is also a closed piston design. It has an equalization port which will leak air during and after your dive. The hissing noise can be kind of annoying if your trying to hear for a leak on your tank, and your buddies or boat crew may get a little pestery if you don't forewarn them, but it's a good system IMO.

My tech says it's a very easy system to service and Sherwood makes a very simple 1 box parts kit.

You only get a 2 year free parts warranty on it though. After which parts will come from your own pocket.
How the 2 year warranty works is the regulator has 2 small flexible plastic rings on the hose protector. After each annual service the tech will take one plastic ring and exchange that with Sherwood for free parts. You may see where I'm going with this: lose the rings, you lose your free parts. Here's where the LDS relationship thing goes. My LDS tech misplaced my ring and charged me for parts.
He wasn't there the day I picked my regs up so I talked to the store clerk. Walked out of the store, reg in hand, not paying for the reg at all. 3 days later the tech calls me and I explain the situation. I walk back into the store and ended up just paying for the service, I don't think they ever found my ring.

Not saying you should buy the regs from your LDS but I am saying don't forget about them. If you're buying small things such as clips, masks, slates, or grease, you may just come out dead even between online and LDS.
Buying Online might not get you the latest model, so you may want to ask which model it is and check any recall notices from the website.

Can you give me a short list of the ones you are talking about? I am suffering from what alot of folks who live in non-diving areas suffer from. There is no real ability for me to compare different regs. I am using SB for that and the few folks I know who dive.

I love my Atomic Aquatics regs, and they recommend servicing every 2 years.

Back
Top Bottom