Essential dive library

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I’ve been looking for books (it’s a sickness) and not finding too much. Gee that came out wrong. I’m just not looking for books on diving in FL etc. from your list. I’m seeking more of the nuts and bolts for now. For some reason the LBS is almost devoid of books on diving, I hope it is just a momentary lapse of attention. I see lots out there online but without doing a test read it’s hard to add that expense and just hope for the best. There is a lot of material out there, just not where I can see it.
04.gif

I did find Diving Science, Essential physiology and medicine for divers and found it was very educational. Anyone read this, what did you think? Any recommendations along that line? Any thoughts about Diving Physiology in Plain English by Jolie Bookspan?

Where can I find Jablonski’s for 20$?

How about the DAN Pocket Guide to First Aid for Scuba Diving – is it directed to people with no emergency background or is there enough difference with diving and an experienced trauma type (EMT-P) would find it very helpful? Is there something better (besides taking Rescue Diver
05.gif
)?

Just a Sailor by Steven L. Waterman I thought was interesting for entertainment, but not a diver when I read it so it may not be for more experienced divers.

Anyone else out there love Trevanien, was it Shibumi that had the cave sump thing going on? I haven’t read it for ages, have to find it and see how it reads knowing a little bit more about diving now.

Thanks for any input! Wish I could get a look at the NOAA….

Oh, if someone is interested and hasn’t seen it, there is a very scientific (Natural History) book, The Hawaiian Spinner Dolphin.

That list idea is great. I checked into it but will have to take the time, there is a lot of material, I just wish I could see it!
Lisa

redrover:
Where can I find Jablonski’s for 20$?

You can get it from the source, GUE.com, for about $24.00 plus shipping.

Tassie_Rohan:
One omission would be the NOAA Diving Manual. This huge volume is the most comprehensive guide to all forms of diving that I've seen.
I have never seen/read that. How about "U.S. Navy Diving Manual"

It is available on PDF too:
http://www.vnh.org/DivingManual/DiveManRev4ChangeA.pdf

This is 950 Page manual. Updated in March 2001. A lot of good stuff in it, it is a technical read though.

GrierHPharmD:
BTW, I've just picked up No Safe Harbor, the book about the Wave Dancer tragedy. I've just started it, but it looks pretty good so far. We'll have to see if it makes it into the top 25.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/A...8/sr=2-1/ref=pd_bbs_b_2_1/002-2510327-0805669

The subject sure hits home, anyway. Doesn't seem like it was that long ago...

'night folks,
Grier

It doesn't really seem like almost 4 years to me either. I feel like Ray was killed just yesterday most of the time, and othertimes, it seems like I never really had the life we had, it was just too good to be possible. I hope you finish this book. I read it in one night, but of course I was craving information I had not been able to get before this. I had asked the survivors myself for anything they could tell me, but they would not talk to me. That's a different story. However, I think they have finally told the facts, and it has always been my greatest hope that this could prevent another tragedy in the future, and open peoples' eyes to what can happen, and what real conditions some of these "luxury boats" are really in, if anyone looks just under the surface of great food, etc. By the way, I noticed the "PharmD" at the end of your name. Does that mean what I think it does? I am just a lowly R.Ph. myself, have been for 26 years.
Teresa Mars

I have to agree with The Hell Divers Rodeo:... I read that one a few years back and it was a great read. My favorite part is where he got Narc'd on the oil rig and was like " look at the pretty fishies" LOL ... Although I still havn't added it to my Library :( . I have a list of my favorites somewhere as well. I'll have to find it and see if I can add any good suggestions.

pcowboy6196:
I have to agree with The Hell Divers Rodeo:... I read that one a few years back and it was a great read. My favorite part is where he got Narc'd on the oil rig and was like " look at the pretty fishies" LOL ... Although I still havn't added it to my Library :( . I have a list of my favorites somewhere as well. I'll have to find it and see if I can add any good suggestions.

Hey pcowboy. I think I'm the narced diver in Helldiver's Rodeo to whom you're referring. I'm glad you enjoyed Humberto Fontova's description of my predicament. On the other hand, I have video of Humberto wearing his disco clothes and boogying to "Macho Man" beneath an oil rig, so I guess we're even.

BTW StSomewhere--I wasn't going to mention The Certified Diver's Handbook, but I'm glad you did. Thanks. -Clay

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom