Essential dive library

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

louisianadiver:
Hey pcowboy. I think I'm the narced diver in Helldiver's Rodeo to whom you're referring. I'm glad you enjoyed Humberto Fontova's description of my predicament. On the other hand, I have video of Humberto wearing his disco clothes and boogying to "Macho Man" beneath an oil rig, so I guess we're even.

glad you did. Thanks. -Clay

I just finished Helldivers Rodeo yesterday , what a awesome book , it makes the cats I hunt for in Beaver lake sound like baitfish! In regards to LA diver's post , the most wonderful part of this book is that these are real people not removed from the rest of the world by some invisible celebrity status , but real divers any of us could meet and greet if we picked the right time and place to go rig diving , or perhaps meet right here on the boards. Stories like that , man , it makes me want to go spend a few years in LA.

mpittman:
I just finished Helldivers Rodeo yesterday , what a awesome book , it makes the cats I hunt for in Beaver lake sound like baitfish! In regards to LA diver's post , the most wonderful part of this book is that these are real people not removed from the rest of the world by some invisible celebrity status , but real divers any of us could meet and greet if we picked the right time and place to go rig diving , or perhaps meet right here on the boards. Stories like that , man , it makes me want to go spend a few years in LA.

I was real close to moving down there when I got out of the NAVY. But my ex-wife and son are here in Oklahoma so I decided it would be better to move back here

pcowboy6196:
I was real close to moving down there when I got out of the NAVY. But my ex-wife and son are here in Oklahoma so I decided it would be better to move back here

ooo boy where at in OK? I hear lake tenkiller has a dive park in it now . wanna go?

I have all 5 volumes of the US Navy Diving Manule. On Cd of course. It explains all aspects of diving. Many of the Military equipment have Navy designations but, are all purchased from Commercial Diving.
When I took the first SCUBA Training before Navy dive training We were taught the "Treatment" tables. It explains what happens when and why the diver goes into recompression. All the Physics and Medical aspects of the divers. Even how to use the correct Dive logs. A real wealth of information. '
In My HUMBLE opinion, this should be the FIRST book on the list.
I also have the NOAA manule and the Corps of Engineers diving manule as well as Wisha and osjoa ,manules. These are the rule books that most are based on.
All the ""Story books" come along later. More divers need to understand what we are effecting when diving. The thought proccess to get to the bottom and the plan to resurface. I believe that New divers need more information about diving other that a couple of classes.
I thing that I survived the 32yrs in commercial Constuction diving because of the information found in those books. In fact, lots of information that the Navy divers know more about working underwater than reading some stories about the Young Bold divers can do. There are OLD divers and Many BOLD Divers but remember, there are NO OLD BOLD DIVER ALIVE... JUST MY OPION old First class Navy diver.
bill

Hi Bill,

Thanks for the feedback. I agree that the training manuals are very important, but I was trying to separate the materials you typically learn about in class from the books about divers and diving.

Incidentally, if you want to share the digital version of the US Navy Manual, here's a link to it, courtesy of ScubaToys.com. (Larry is a member here. Look him up and thank him when you get a chance.) Like you said, it's a great reference.

-G

Teresa Mars:
It doesn't really seem like almost 4 years to me either. I feel like Ray was killed just yesterday most of the time, and othertimes, it seems like I never really had the life we had, it was just too good to be possible. I hope you finish this book. I read it in one night, but of course I was craving information I had not been able to get before this. I had asked the survivors myself for anything they could tell me, but they would not talk to me. That's a different story. However, I think they have finally told the facts, and it has always been my greatest hope that this could prevent another tragedy in the future, and open peoples' eyes to what can happen, and what real conditions some of these "luxury boats" are really in, if anyone looks just under the surface of great food, etc. By the way, I noticed the "PharmD" at the end of your name. Does that mean what I think it does? I am just a lowly R.Ph. myself, have been for 26 years.
Teresa Mars

Hi Teresa,

Thank you so much for responding to this thread. I hadn't seen your earlier posts about this book until today. It's sobering to realize that one of our own members lost a loved one in this tragedy.

I did finish the book in a little over a day. All I kept thinking about was how much the group sounded like a club that I belong to.

I can't imagine what it was like to lose your spouse in such a tragic accident. I was at an pharmaceutical industry meeting shortly after the incident, and remember hearing about Ray being on board. Unfortunately, I hever had the pleasure to meet him, but he seemed to be well-respected by the people there who knew him.

I hope that the book's release doesn't reopen too many painful memories. I'm sure it must be hard to read about something so horrible that is so personally significant. My thoughts and prayers are with you as the accident comes back into the public eye.

And yes, the PharmD is what you think it is. I went back after 8 years of practice and did the post-bac version. I don't think there's anything lowly about being an RPh - I think I did my best clinical work before I had the "D" after my name. I've been working in the clinical trials area since 1998.

Please feel free to PM me any time.

Best regards,
Grier

Back
Top Bottom