Ethanol 10.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It takes less petroleum energy to make ethanol and BioDiesel than it does to extract gas and diesel from oil.

They push the ethanol in the US for political reasons. BioDiesel will hopefully get similar treatment in the future.

I don't know much about the effect on a motor from ethanol but I have yet to hear anything postitive. I would not likely run ethanol in my new outboard. However, the opposite is true with diesel engines running biodiesel. I have several friends running BioDiesel in their cars and boats with nothing but the best of luck. The only caution so far has been with older boats and the amount of crud from your old tank that the biodiesel can dissolve.

Here is a link to the life balance of the different fuels:
http://www.mda.state.mn.us/ethanol/balance.html

Gasoline 0.805 (19.5 percent)
Diesel 0.843 (15.7 percent)
Ethanol 1.34 34 percent
Biodiesel 3.20 220 percent

Tasarsailor:
It takes less petroleum energy to make ethanol and BioDiesel than it does to extract gas and diesel from oil.

They push the ethanol in the US for political reasons. BioDiesel will hopefully get similar treatment in the future.

I don't know much about the effect on a motor from ethanol but I have yet to hear anything postitive. I would not likely run ethanol in my new outboard. However, the opposite is true with diesel engines running biodiesel. I have several friends running BioDiesel in their cars and boats with nothing but the best of luck. The only caution so far has been with older boats and the amount of crud from your old tank that the biodiesel can dissolve.

Here is a link to the life balance of the different fuels:
http://www.mda.state.mn.us/ethanol/balance.html

Gasoline 0.805 (19.5 percent)
Diesel 0.843 (15.7 percent)
Ethanol 1.34 34 percent
Biodiesel 3.20 220 percent

I've been running 100% Biodiesel in my cummins for a very long time, I hate to admit it but I'll roll my windows down just cause i like the smell of the exhaust.

My understanding with US problem producing Ethenol is we use Corn, where as Brazil uses Sugar Cane making it worth messing with.

The main issue is that petroleum will end. Don´t know if tomorow or 100 year from now. Since we don´t know when we must discover new renovable energy sources. Bio Fuel is an excelent choice for the transition phase, tested and aproved here in Brazil. 70% of the cars sold last year were multi-fuel.

I agree with Nemrod when he says that people should move to smaller cars.
Unless you need a gigantic car like a Hummer, why have it? To make neighboors jealous?

Some good info, thanks folks. I'll let everyone know how it shakes out. No choice but to see what happens. Any marina in Mass. caught selling gas after 6.1.06 is facing a $32,000 per day fine.

Back
Top Bottom