Failure of Wireless Air Integrated COmputer and SPG

Instrument failure

• The Air integration system of my Wireless AI Computer has failed.

Votes: 20 71.4%
  • My SPG has failed.

Votes: 12 42.9%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

xiSkiGuy:
I have about 60 dives on my Uwatec SmartTEC and I have not lost link yet. I have heard that certain scooters, strobes, and underwater metal detectors can cause interference with the wireless link.

Using HID lights can also cause failure of the wireless link. This is acknowledged by some of the manufacturers.

I don't own a wireless computer, and have never had a spg failure.

Since I solo most of the time, I have both and neither has failed. I carry a backup computer as well and it has never failed either.

Dennis I got same problem as you :D
Diver Dennis:
Since I solo most of the time, I have both and neither has failed. I carry a backup computer as well and it has never failed either.

I can not post a vote,as I don't own one and never would!

on a dive boat in FL a group had a set of units and on SI reads were false on deck,
that was my first clue,

But one wireless / hose less killed a good friend I considered a good diver on a false read or slow read,get rid of your unit and go gauge!
Brad

moneysavr:
I can not post a vote,as I don't own one and never would!

on a dive boat in FL a group had a set of units and on SI reads were false on deck,
that was my first clue,

But one wireless / hose less killed a good friend I considered a good diver on a false read or slow read,get rid of your unit and go gauge!
Brad

Thanks for the advice moneysavr. I am trying to make an informed decision. I am trying to find out how much more reliable a gauge is compared to an AI computer - is the failure rate less, more, same?

ramsabi:
Thanks for the advice moneysavr. I am trying to make an informed decision. I am trying to find out how much more reliable a gauge is compared to an AI computer - is the failure rate less, more, same?

IMO
And My opinion is slanted I would think,wireless,battery's,electrical contacts, transmitters all add failure points,
With a HP Gauge you have a hose & o-ring and heck that ain't much to go wrong and if it dose,,,
Dive safe,
Brad

I dive with the Vytec, and never had a problem yet (knock on wood). I havent noticed any lost links during a dive, and I have not had any problems near metal objects. I heard that people had problems with that so at Dutch Springs I went inside the school bus, trolley car, and helicopter, and not once did it loose the link.

moneysavr:
IMO
And My opinion is slanted I would think,wireless,battery's,electrical contacts, transmitters all add failure points,
With a HP Gauge you have a hose & o-ring and heck that ain't much to go wrong and if it dose,,,
Dive safe,
Brad

Yep, besides the fact that an SPG uses a bordon tube and the xmitter uses a pressure transducer, the xmitter is going to have almost all the modes of failure an SPG will (o-ring, etc) but with all the other parts, it will likely add some more (computer battery, xmitter battery, etc).

moneysavr:
Brad

To that, I would say, "How many divers have died from mis-reading analog gauges, or making a mathematical mistake in their dive planning?".

I don't have an air intetgrated comp, but I've had TWO SPG failures. Neither were catastrophic - one was a flood durring first year of service. Second was an internal swivel failure that resulted in a steady moderate rate of air loss.

-Ben M.

Back
Top Bottom