Fins for Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sorry my bad my friends and I were giving someone a hard time about thier kicking style and made up a name for it which was the turtle and now it is stuck in my mind. I meant frog kick.

What the heck is a "turtle kick"? I usually use a modified frog kick where there's a risk of stirring up silt and usually use a frog kick the rest of the time.[/QUOTE]

I used splits for a few years as I GOT sucked into advertizing while in need. I did learn to frog kick and back up and used them in the caves, much to a lot of jeers. I got caught north island diving trying to keep up and I just got exhausted. I was lent some Jets the next dive and I was totally loving my dive. The strength in my blading and maneuvers was a great feeling. I was now hooked on blades. Sold my splits to a friend that loves them. I then bought Force fins, my new love of open water diving gear. They are second to none for me. However when in the caves I do wear my Jets. I don't like the jeering. Maybe that's what they call 'going to the dark side.' lol. ps. I can walk in the Force Fins and I don't look like I pooped my pants. hahahahaha, great video capture.

I used splits for a few years as I GOT sucked into advertizing while in need. I did learn to frog kick and back up and used them in the caves, much to a lot of jeers. I got caught north island diving trying to keep up and I just got exhausted. I was lent some Jets the next dive and I was totally loving my dive. The strength in my blading and maneuvers was a great feeling. I was now hooked on blades. Sold my splits to a friend that loves them. I then bought Force fins, my new love of open water diving gear. They are second to none for me. However when in the caves I do wear my Jets. I don't like the jeering. Maybe that's what they call 'going to the dark side.' lol. ps. I can walk in the Force Fins and I don't look like I pooped my pants. hahahahaha, great video capture.
I have big feet (13 EEE). I'd really just love to do a barefoot dive in Coz someday. Fins are so confining!

I've used nothing but ScubaPRO Jet fins for 30 years. they work great for every one of my MANY varieties of kicks and of course have the power to pull a water skiier...(well, that's what the advertisements used to say :d )

LOL at this thread.

I have splits, I dive exclusively in Coz, I have never once regretted having them vs knee pain inducing whale fins. I can swim into currents (2-2.5kn), I can keep up with anyone else, I use less air, have less calf cramps, have less knee pain since I switched to splits.

To each is own, both types work perfectly fine in coz, all comes down to WHAT YOU PREFER - just like BC wars, regulator battles, DIY nuclear combat lol.

Heres my fin guide:

If you snap pics
Don't have knee issues
Are a loooong time full finner
Do cave dives
Shoot videos
You might be a full finner

If you have bad knees
Dont slow the pack up with a camera
Don't shoot XXX underwater videos
Aren't a full fin fanatic
Can learn how to "flutter kick"
Use lots of air
You might be a split finner candidate

As Forest Gumps says, "That's all I have ta say about that".

cats-prepare-to-battle-the-dogs-for-rights-to-a-s-8185-1259300822-4.jpg

LOL at this thread.

I have splits, I dive exclusively in Coz, I have never once regretted having them vs knee pain inducing whale fins. I can swim into currents (2-2.5kn), I can keep up with anyone else, I use less air, have less calf cramps, have less knee pain since I switched to splits.

To each is own, both types work perfectly fine in coz, all comes down to WHAT YOU PREFER - just like BC wars, regulator battles, DIY nuclear combat lol.

I agree with most of the above, and it really is what you prefer. However, I do disagree with your fin guide in that while it may work fine for you, it's certainly not optimal for all.

Heres my fin guide:

If you snap pics - I don't even carry a camera
Don't have knee issues - I have terrible knees
Are a loooong time full finner - This one fits me
Do cave dives - I did the cenotes for a couple of days once
Shoot videos - Never video
You might be a full finner - I am

If you have bad knees - Again, terrible knees
Dont slow the pack up with a camera - No camera
Don't shoot XXX underwater videos - No Video
Aren't a full fin fanatic - Not a fanatic, just like em better
Can learn how to "flutter kick" - I can, but due to the knees I prefer a frog or modified frog kick. No pain at all, very good propulsion and control.
Use lots of air - I have a very good SAC rate
You might be a split finner candidate - I still prefer the Avanti Quattro's using a frog kick.

According to your guide, with the exception of the air consumption issue, I'm the perfect candidate for the splits. However, I vastly prefer the full fins as it suits my style of diving better. I also wanted to point out that even with terrible knees, full fins are a very viable option to consider.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom