First DPV - Your recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks, rjack321 and terrillja for your sharing your experience. Can more Seadoo DPV owners share their experience please? Your view are much appreciated.

I would encourage you to go for the X-Scooter and here's why.

Weight. At 35lbs you'll want to take it on every dive vs. a heavier scooter that you need a crane/cart/or buddies just to get in the water. What fun is that!

Reliability. I am the custodian of five X-Scooters and with heavy use (at least one dive every weekend) and very little maintenance over the past year (weeklyish cleaning of the o-rings, fresh water rinse after dives, etc...) I have yet to have a single problem with them.

Capability. 60 minute burn times. Depth rated to where ever you want to/can go. Fast (100-150ft per minute) and Powerful (tow two divers in doubles with stages etc...).

and of course,

Trigger Shift on the Fly
X-view Camera System
Handle mounted compass

There's nothing better out there and they're worth every penny.

Did I mention 35lbs.... :)

Jonathan

I have to say that I was reluctant to buy a scooter in the first place, unsure of what I would use it for. I'm still not one of these "I won't dive if I can't scooter" people. I was certainly unwilling to cope with a scooter I couldn't carry, or couldn't take on an airplane.

I bought an X. I can carry it to the water, even in doubles. It's not too much hassle to assemble and maintain (maintenance is minimal). It's been absolutely reliable, and it's easy to dive.

I've looked at Gavins, and SS scooters, and I've used a SeaDoo. I wouldn't own anything but an X.

Thanks to AndrewJD and TSandM for your thots and contribution...

Anymore suggestions and opinions from the expert members in this esteemed community? Thanks ...

One more vote for the X-scooter. I would take a look at the others who are diving the way you envision yourself diving in the future then work toward that goal. In reviewing past dive reports do not think that the X is just for the double wearing tech diver... (Andrewjd, and others)

Take a look at some of the splendid reports by FDog, Mo2vation, HB Divergirl... I think you'll find some cool pictures and video there as well.

Thanks for the compliment, Ben!

scorpenesub, here is a video that may help you with your decision.... make sure you have 20 minutes handy...

All the best, James

Careful, scooters are like crack... I have two used Makos (paid $1000-1100 each + new batteries, ~$80 per set), they are fun as hell, like others mentioned they use basically the same "drivetrain" (shroud, prop, motor, clutch assembly) as Gavins, SS. The big difference is in the physical build (Mako = thin plastic), and size/buoyancy. The Makos seem to have been designed around a light set of batteries, relative to what most people use these days. So the Mako will likely end up being a little more negative than ideal, especially in fresh water. The SLA batteries (they use 2 12v batteries in series for 24v) are cheap which is nice, low cost of replacement and it's affordable to have a second set to swap between dives. The Mako is rated at 180 foot, if you're just doing recreational diving, and don't mind the size, they are a good value and tons of fun.

The X ($3500 ish) scooter is very different in that it uses a brushless motor w/ electronic speed control - newer technology, some say that due to the complexity it could be less reliable than the older brushed motor used in Makos, but that doesn't seem to be borne out of experience w/ the X from what I've heard. The X also uses NiMH batteries, w/ Lithium Ion optional. Advantage is power density, so you get about the same runtime in a lighter and therefore smaller package. They also sell the X with a hard case that weighs I think just a bit more than 50 lbs which makes it good for air-travel. I would love to get an X scooter, to take on vacation, and while I haven't used one I understand they are a little faster than a stock Mako. A second battery to have on hand is pretty pricy, around $500.

SS makes a brushed scooter with NiMH batteries as well, I think the cost is similar to the X.

You can also get a Tekna for about half the cost of a Mako, disadvantages would be the batteries for all practical purposes are not swap-able between dives, you'll have to recharge. They are also smaller, so will need lighter batteries, and will be more negative. They have the same prop/clutch/shroud, and more or less the same motor as a Mako, you could probably get a running unit for 5-600 and it would be a ton of fun.

The Sea Doos and other 12v geared motor scooters really are not in the same league as the Tekna/Mako/SS/X. I haven't used one but I've heard they are faster if you kick while using them :) On the Makos, forget about trying to kick, if you do anything other streamline your feet, you'll slow it down. I do have one though, new in the box (never used it since I got the Makos). It's yours for $100 + shipping if you like. Deco Stingray, it's the same as the Sea Doo classic that sold for $280 @ Leisurepro.

Rob

Another vote for the X. You will not be dissapointed, and glad you went this route. In the long run, you will likely spend more on the cheaper made units. My 2 cents anyway.

Back
Top Bottom