first time to australia

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pammyk

Reaction score
I need some help with information on diving in Australia. I have a friend that goes twice a year but doesn't dive so couldn't give me the info i need. She has enough air miles to send 10 people to australia...obviously not 1st class which is the way she flies there...hahaha!!! We have until Dec to do this...so I'm trying to gather the info I need and I'm finding it difficult and confusing! I've heard that Cairns is the best place. Anyone have the info I need??? Please help! I'm interested in places to stay, best diving location, best dive ops...and anything else you think would be useful. Is a liveaboard the best way to go or can we do day trips?

Thanks in advance.....

Pam

hi pam - sounds like a great idea to come down under!

so i take it youre planning on staying in queensland or are yoiu planning on traveling to other states? my backyard is Sydney so i can give you advice about that.

cheers

And I can give you info on the West Coast :)

The "best" really depends on what you like to do and see. Australia is huge and has an incredible range of diving and land based activities - they just aren't all together so it's important to decide what you want out of the holiday.

If you are flying on points book now, these flights tend to be booked months in advance for those travelling on points.

what parts of Aus are you going, I just got back from the GBR.

did you like it EZ??

im such a sydney-sider that we're going to do Alcina's part of the world before we tackle GBR... just gotta do every other tropical island in my region first

Australia has tens of thousands of kilometres of coastline with everying from warm water coral to cold water kelp. Theres also Wreaks. Caves. Lakes. You name it. Its all good.

What sort of dives do you want to do - that will help narrow things down to a state or two.

Cheers,
Rohan.

almitywife:
did you like it EZ??

just gotta do every other tropical island in my region first

Does Tasmania count? :D

I dove the GBR out of Cairns with Deep Sea Divers Den there. I enjoyed the experience and would recommend them. However, I'd suggest you consider a liveaboard in the Coral Sea instead of the GBR. You can get them out of Cairns.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom