flights canceled

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SadiesMom:
Kathy, does this hold true for flights to Cancun? If not, you could always do the flight to Cancun and then ferry over to Coz. I really can't see the airlines totally cutting off the island completely when it's ready for tourists before December - there's got to be a way to get over there - even if it's not a direct flight.
i asked about cancun and they are also canceled. I am checking with continental to see if i can get something with them for the dates I want. Continental flights are canceled until Nov 3 so that will not interfere with my dates. Have to talk to hubby when he gets home from work today. We were flying on Advantage miles with American and will have to pay for the Continental flights but I dont see a problem with that. Will let you know what i find out. Kathy in texas

Learned this morning that all Adventure tours flights out of Dallas to Cozumel are cancelled until December 21, 2005.

What a bummer. I know that there will be operations going on before that and I want to come down and help out but no flights out of Dallas.

Dont feel alone, I am new here too, and trying for figure out what things are, did you ever find out what a troll was?? Happy and mucho divin

divedoggie,
I think your right regarding full planes.
Sophia, from Scuba Club Cozumel reports they will be reopening Nov. 14th, only one dive boat damaged and hotel clean up going very well. They will be ready for guests. A friend who lives on Cozumel reports he only had a broken window and clean up is going well.
It will be a real shame if those of us who had tickets and still want to go can't get there.

DivinGal:
Dont feel alone, I am new here too, and trying for figure out what things are, did you ever find out what a troll was?? Happy and mucho divin

"Troll" can be either verb or noun. To troll (verb) a newsgroup or forum is to post inflammatory or provocative material for the sole purpose of inciting controversy or just plain pissing people off. A troll (noun) can refer to a posted article of a trolling nature, or to a person who engages in such practices.

I had a feeling "troll was not a friendly greeting. The trolls I remember were funny looking little dolls with purple hair.

iscuba2,
It is a bummer. Its kind of an all or nothing scenario for the airlines.
In the meantime, it looks like you could visit Coz and dive by taking a cruiseship.

It doesn't take a 100% full plane for them to fly down.

Continental is taking it week by week at this point and onc they have word from the tourism board that tourists are being accepted, they will fly as long as they have reasonably filled flights...this means, don't cancel your flights until you are told they are cancelled! If everyone cancels prematurely, they will cancel flights because tey are empty.

Continental currently has daily flights to and from Cozumel, but may cut back to two or three flights weekly until things start opening up more.

The charter companies are affected by the hotel closures, but not the airlines necessarily.

Hotels that will be up and running as soon as electricity is restored/mid November are:
Hotel Cozumel
Vista del Mar
Hacienda San Miguel
Scuba Club

and I suspect there are several others...these are the ones I have directly been in contact with or have read on their website (Scuba Club).

Please don't cancel prematurely...that will only delay flights longer!

iscuba2:
My friends, flying on United, were contacted by United Airlines yestersay saying all flights to Cancun and Cozumel were canceled until Dec. 14th. When they called to reschedule, they were told that was a mistake only Cancun was canceled. Then United called back and said no we were right the first time, all flights canceled until Dec. 14th. United's web site has not yet posted the cancelation.
As of now, Continental is still planning of flights resuming Nov. 4th, but other web sites are posting, that will soon change.
As you can tell, I am still confused.

You may want to introduce yourself in the introductions and Greets forum, and you will then get a proper greeting, and no one will accuse you of Trolling (however the guy that did was leaping to a rather huge conclusion as your post IMO was NOT a Troll type posting).

As for your travel, IMO you have two choices....

1) If all your trips have been cancelled, then make arrangements to meet somewhere else, and work out those details with whatever agency you booked with.

2) Wait and see. This is the best approach for the people in Coz who are needing our business ASAP, but likely not the best approach for a group of people travelling from different areas to hook up and dive. Even if things are open for business, many places will NOT be fully operational, and with the wide variation of announced cancelations, it maybe difficult for some to get flights even of other carriers are flying.

There is a LOT of good resounces here, check out the COZ forum, as there is information on what was damaged. Have you contacted the DiveOps you were planning on using, and the resort you were planning on staying with? Some places (mostly near town) were not heavily damaged, and should be able to accomodate tourists shortly. Other places were destroyed, and will not be able to open for months.

As for airlines there is not much to be done, other than to maybe make arrangements with those carriers who plan to fly soonest... But if planes ain't a flying, you ain't gonna be getting to Coz until they are.

My buddy was suppose to be in Coz NOW. Instead he is heading to Puerto Vallarta next week, and will just have to do a diving vacation to Coz next year.

There has to be a bunch of the econo hotels back of the plaza ready to go once electricity is restored
Hotel Pepita, Flores, Aguilar, Pirata, Kary, Flamingo, Maricarmen

My Fav tho Vista Del Mar Rm# 305

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom