Ft. Myers Beach Pier Clean-up October 6 (new date)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ok I have a meeting Scheduled with the Florida Sea Grant thursday night to go over a few things. I am at this point looking toward Sept 22 or the 29th..

I have the applications and have them filled out, Our group is going to be called Florida Conch Divers, If we do this as a group we can bypass the background checks and expense of doing it on a individual basis.

Colin can you sticky this with a sign up button on the first page for everyone. Alsp PM me your contact info including Home addy so I can place you on the application.

Ohhh and also they are working on the BCP clean up for next year and I was told a few things about next year that I'm not to happy about but I will let everyone know as more comes up on that event...

matts1w:
Hey all-

Just got back from from a summer in Fiji and the Solomon Islands otherwise I would have been all over this sooner

Anyway, I am so in as I kinda live there and Dean's Dive Center will do all we can to promote, etc... A weekend would be ideal obviously, but shutting down the peir on a weekend may be sketchy. Maybe early on a Sunday??? Stupid real job makes weekdays impossible.

Colin's idea about Big Carlos may be better, but damn that dive scares me.... Last time I went for stones there I kept my eyes closed more than open.

Matt it is very appreciated, any sponsors we can pick up the better and your store has always treated me right... ScubaQuest is on board as well, I will see what they can offer and maybe we can do something back to the shops for assisting, Look fwd to see you there....

Count me in, schedule permitting.

Ok I have had the first of many meetings with the Florida Sea Grant, and we have decided Sep. 22nd for the date of the event. We will have a meetings the week prior to the clean-up, I will be doing a pre dive survey with thier help to look for the best spots that will need cleaning.

We will be using a couple of dive shops that can provide assistance and gear for those coming in from out of town, I will have more infomation and what they can supply and will post their information and contact information once I have talked to them this week and been given their blessing.

OMIGOSH I am free that day!!! Woo hoo!!! ROAD TRIP!!!

On the other hand...be aware that it is Yom Kippur. That may or may not affect your plans.

OK Broward peeps, who wants to ride over with me and share gas/tolls costs?

Debbie.. I may be up to car pooling, but won't know till the date is a bit closer.

I'll let Debbie know. If her car is full, I have room for you. :rofl3:

SharkBaite:
Ok I have had the first of many meetings with the Florida Sea Grant, and we have decided Sep. 22nd for the date of the event. We will have a meetings the week prior to the clean-up, I will be doing a pre dive survey with thier help to look for the best spots that will need cleaning.

We will be using a couple of dive shops that can provide assistance and gear for those coming in from out of town, I will have more infomation and what they can supply and will post their information and contact information once I have talked to them this week and been given their blessing.

Can you clarify about the requirements?

You can count me in for topside/beach clean-up assistance. It is a beach AND pier clean-up, right? I may be able to round up the home school troops as they are always up for a feel-good community service project. Do you know meet-up times or anything like that? What specific part of the beach would we be working on?

If the parking people would prove to be uncooperative, maybe we could get the trolley to pick divers and gear up from the Winn-Dixie parking lot and drop them by the pier. Just a thought!

Thanks for putting this together, Brian!

Kris

Ok here are the details as of right now.. September 22 2007. Ft Myers Beach. Meet on the beach side by the base of the pier, Parking is at Lynn Hall Park right next to the pier. Parking has been covered and either we will have something to place in the window or something so you DON"T have to pay, The event starts at 7 am to 10, Divers should be there No Later Than 6:45 Sep 22nd for a short briefing, and for filing out waivers. DIVING starts at 7

I am looking at doing a pre event dive and need a buddy for Sep 7th around 6-7 AM to inspect the pier. Only one diver need apply LOL. We will be having a meeting Hopefully the weekend before but am still working that out with Joy from the FSG.

Requirements are this. Divers must be AOW either NAUI or PADI equiv. and have DAN insurance. Since this is a first time event and the conditions under the pier are unknown, it will be a mandatory item. No Exceptions.

Topside support is welcome from anyone wanting to help out. I will need people willing to be on the pier and lift the junk brought up from below onto the pier, to be placed either in trash bags or trash cans to be hauled to a dumpster, fopr a final tally.

Anyone having a bathroom scale they would Donate to this cause would be great as we can tally it right there onsite.

I am working on getting donations of water, and such from my work and Monday we will be hitting up the shops around the pier for donations, I have the week of and will be spending my vacation time getting this event going.

Either PM me with your names and cert info or you can email me at Novafury@aol.com and put in the subject line of "Ft myers Beach Pier" so it will hopefully be delivered and not flagged as spam and will get my attention first.....

More details to come...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom