Funny things happened trying to book Hotel Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just saw a great deal at the Hotel Mary Carmen (in downtown Coz) for something like $5,000 pesos for 2 weeks if anyone else is looking.

For 2 weeks? That's insanely cheap. I wish I could use some of my 500 hours of vacation right now. :(

Expedia wanted $204/night plus $46/night resort fee?!

Hold your horses, did you say $46.00 a night resort fee for Hotel Cozumel? They have a resort fee? $46 a night?

Did they enlarge the pool? Are the dolphins permanent residents in the pool now? Did they train them to bring you drinks?

Though of course, you have to live in Lubbock :) :)
Nah, I just visit the kids there, catch planes, a little shopping. I live in Mayberry out between the cotton fields. :cool:

I think you will like Suites Colonial. The outside looked very nice and the times we had walked by it was very quiet.
There is no view but close to many restaurants in town.
If I'm not mistaken the breakfast is over at Casa Mexicana and it is a very good one.
DD who are you going use as your dive op?
It seems to be a nice cheap hotel that no one ever complains about. Not much to brag about, but you see some. It's on 5th Ave, right - not on Melgar. Should be quiet enough. Even if I leave my BC, fins, and pony with the dive Op, I'll still have a full dive bag plus a camera to hump. I think I'm up to it. Haven't booked an Op yet.

I'll never understand airline pricing. It is often much more expensive for me to fly out of OKC/Tulsa/Wichita to go to Coz than it is for someone from Florida, Cali, New York. How can they price them lower when when they have double the flight distance?
It's supply, demand, and competition - but they have expensive experts to manage fares, loads, etc, so no one can understand. To take my kids to Death Valley, Yosemite, and a few other sites along Owens Valley last June, we had to drive to Abilene for a cheaper plane. Cute little airport, but for me that was over a 200 mile drive before boarding! Then we were delayed by weather, then missconnetcs, then equipment problems, etc. - spent all afternoon in DFW. Ugh! Got to Vegas around midnight instead of 5pm (my memory is a little cloudy, but whose wouldn't have been?), had to argue with the car rental guy that I didn't even want to hear his sales pitch for insurance, find a Walmart for supplies, then find our way out of town in the dark - which took several tries. Our hotel was a little one on the edge of Death Valley and they promised to leave the keys taped to their mailbox. Glad that went okay as there was no backup plan for that part of the desert! We got a shower & a few hours sleep in beds, then a late start into the Valley - which we left when it got to 115F. We could have drove out from Texas faster. I almost had the kids talked into Yellowstone for next summer but explained there were no good flights so we'd just drive it. Now I'm told they want to go somewhere else and be pampered. :shakehead:

Eastern Sierra (27).jpg

I stayed at the Suites Colonial on a couple trips last month and was pleasantly surprised with the property. The rooms are basic but updated and clean and have a good TV and refrigerator. I was surprised at how quiet it was considering it was only a half block off the square. Plus the great breakfast buffet at Casa Mexicana is included.

Hey Gary how would you compare the rooms at Suites Colonial with the rooms at Bahia Suites. They are both owned by the same person "Pepe", and the prices are about the same and both include the Casa Mexicana breakfast.
Have you picked a dive op for your next trip Don?

Hey Gary how would you compare the rooms at Suites Colonial with the rooms at Bahia Suites. They are both owned by the same person "Pepe", and the prices are about the same and both include the Casa Mexicana breakfast.
Have you picked a dive op for your next trip Don?
Dennis, the Bahia's room size is a little larger but because of the layout seems a little cramped. It also has a microwave which the Colonial doesn't. The Colonial room is a more open design and feels larger. Bahia has a King and a Queen bed plus a cramped bathroom / shower. Colonial has a standard bed and a twin plus a larger bathroom and shower. The shower head pipe coming out a the wall at the Colonial is solid and could be used to hang a wetsuit (would need a small chunk of line or a bungle) but that is not a concern since Tres Pelicanos handles our gear, including wetsuits (shameless plug)

Don
Have you tried going to HCC directly? I'm not sure what dates you were looking at but here is a sample:

Capture.jpg

Don
Have you tried going to HCC directly? I'm not sure what dates you were looking at but here is a sample:
Yeah, looked there and almost booked there...
Then I tried Hotelcozumel.com. I didn't think they could undercut the prices they contracted with the booking sites, but worth a look. $84 AI/night - well, ok, nice. No meals offered on the 21st for some reason, but ok.

Then I saw a FB friend post that she found a great deal from Roswell NM. I didn't know Roswell had plane service, but if so - I figured it'd be higher than even Lubbock, but: "Round trip Roswell to Cozumel, Hotel,All Inclusive,6 nights with American Airlines promo code, $1587. FOR 2 in December." Ok, so I had to look. She didn't give the code but it's on American's site: 96HR150 Tried it, and it failed.
mad.gif
Tried again, and a third time, then called. They did not offer Hot Coz, so I just priced it with Suites Colonial as I've been tempted to try them anyway. Ok, so $832 with hotel & plane - $150 = $682, or just $134 more than plane alone, and they include breakfast. Deal! Trying a new hotel & location, but I thought I'd share my silly experiences shopping the ever popular Hot Coz...

---------- Post added September 25th, 2014 at 06:24 AM ----------

$728 is not that bad...after all it does say it is a "Superior Room".
:D
Now that I think about it, it was only 2 or 3 years ago that I spent about that for flights, :pilot: private room there - and the bed was soft, meals, and drinks for the whole week after the Orbitz discount code we miss so much. :sad:

Last edited:
Hello Don. Enjoy your trip. I do not know when you are going but there is an Orbitz discount code (150VACA)[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]good through March 31,2015 for a flight and hotel package. I doubt if it would be better then the deal you found.[/FONT]

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom