Galileo Luna vs Uemis Dive Computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have the Sol. Like the Sol, the Luna has 3 different display modes, from just the most basic dive info to more than you want to comprehend.
Both have the compass. With the compass, you can set reference points through out your dive & it will show the direction to that reference point, at your current location.
Since I have been using this computer's compass I have found the anchor line every time, when returning to the boat. My dive buddy calls it the 'magic' compass.....

If their is a great demand for the "export data" function, we will for sure have a closer look at it.

Hi Michael

I get a lot of requests from my users for this feature. They really want to continue to use Diving Log to log their dives, but until the export is included I can't do much for them. As soon as there is some kind of export function I'll add support for the Uemis Zurich in Diving Log 5.0 for sure.

Best regards,
Sven

I am currrently stuck on whihc computer to purcahse; either the Galileo Luna or Uemis. Any suggestions? I like the brightness of the Uemis but wonder if the organization of the information is better onthe Luna. Any help making this decison would be welcome.
Thanks

I have similar issues -- I love the brightness and contrast of color screens on the Uemis (and Mares Icon HD), but prefer the way info is laid out on the Galileos. I talked to a ScubaPro rep recently, told him that I expected all but the lowest-end computers to be color within 5 years or so, and asked him if the next generation Galileo would be color. He said they were looking at it, but wasn't in a position to say anything definite. He did mention that going color pretty much requires using rechargeable batteries (at least at the moment) and expressed some concern about the number of dives you could go between charges. IIRR most people could manage a day's if not a weekend's dives on the Uemis, and probably about the same on the Mares.

Having a digital compass isn't a big deal for me as I'm not giving up my SK-7, although I'd say the one on the Mares is even better than the Galileo's.

Ultimately it's just a personal choice, but have you downloaded the manuals for them all so that you can compare their displays, modes and controls?

Guy

Hi Michael

I get a lot of requests from my users for this feature. They really want to continue to use Diving Log to log their dives, but until the export is included I can't do much for them. As soon as there is some kind of export function I'll add support for the Uemis Zurich in Diving Log 5.0 for sure.

Best regards,
Sven

Hello Sven,
I will certainly bring it up at the next discussion that I have with them.
Everybody interested can check the different displays out at During the dive / Functions / uemis ZURICH / Products - uemis - THE UNDERWATER REVOLUTION
If someone is interested in a user manual ( which also has the screen shots of the display ) I will gladly e-mail it to their private address.

Michael

I have similar issues -- I love the brightness and contrast of color screens on the Uemis (and Mares Icon HD), but prefer the way info is laid out on the Galileos. I talked to a ScubaPro rep recently, told him that I expected all but the lowest-end computers to be color within 5 years or so, and asked him if the next generation Galileo would be color. He said they were looking at it, but wasn't in a position to say anything definite. He did mention that going color pretty much requires using rechargeable batteries (at least at the moment) and expressed some concern about the number of dives you could go between charges. IIRR most people could manage a day's if not a weekend's dives on the Uemis, and probably about the same on the Mares.

Having a digital compass isn't a big deal for me as I'm not giving up my SK-7, although I'd say the one on the Mares is even better than the Galileo's.

Ultimately it's just a personal choice, but have you downloaded the manuals for them all so that you can compare their displays, modes and controls?

Guy

I agree with you. More computers are going color: Sherwood has one, Atomic is coming out with one. It's just a matter of time and they all will be. It makes sense because color can provide extra information in the same space.

Adam

It does seem that the Uemis is a bit pricey compared with the Galileo Luna. My local LDS quoted me a list of $1,895.00 discounted to $1,800.00. While I love the display, the Luna has a great compass and is more proven in the market place with far more dealers. Personally, and this is just one man's opinion, I think the folks at Uemis should have considered entering the market at a lower price point to garner more of a market share.

they did, but that was last year :wink:

Have you had a chance to dive the Zurich yet? if your local LDS is a dealer, they will have a demo unit, that perhaps they can get you out on a dive with :)

It does seem that the Uemis is a bit pricey compared with the Galileo Luna. My local LDS quoted me a list of $1,895.00 discounted to $1,800.00. While I love the display, the Luna has a great compass and is more proven in the market place with far more dealers. Personally, and this is just one man's opinion, I think the folks at Uemis should have considered entering the market at a lower price point to garner more of a market share.

In regard to all the "first to______" comments. I remember when someone first came out with plastic oil cans. They were great and eliminated the need to carry an oil spout, but they were still round. About a year later someone else got outside the box and made plastic oil cans that were square shaped. THAT guy was the real innovator who took a new concept and truly improved it - square bottles ship in a smaller box and don't roll around in the trunk of a car.

In short, being first does not mean diddly, being best does.

I dive with a Luna and a Shearwater Predator. Each offers something the other does not.

The Luna has a compass, easy to use menus, very good log software, and a whole host of features such as bookmarks for waypoints on the dive graph/log, in water dive profile and tissue loading displays, and a picture function that is pretty useless at first glance but can be used for really useful things like maps of caves.

The Luna has the ability to be upgraded for 3 gas nitrox or for trimix (although I am currently having problems getting the upgrade to load).

The Shearwater Predator has an excellent OLED display and is a no nonsense nuts and bolts trimix capable computer that is very intutive and simple to use.

For cave diving the Luna's display is excellent on the wrist opposite the light and I like the option of basic, classic and full displays. The Predator display on the other hand works superb on the wrist with the light.

Both in short complement each other, each offering what the other does not.

So rather than look at computer A versus computer B look at what ach offers, compare that to what you need and note any gaps that exist that may need to be filled in the future. The Luna offers hige bang for the buck and any deficiencies that you may ultimately find, can probably be met with another computer and both may well be less expensive than option "B".

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom